My dog Roxi was diagnosed about 3 years ago, she is going to be 16 in a few days, she was never put on any medications, I just buy her cushex drops, they are all natural and work great, don't put your dog on any unecessary meds just cuz that is what the vet tells u, always look for homeopathic solutions first, too many side effects with meds!

was he on any medication

Please let me know how busters treatment has gone. I have a 14 yr old jack Russell that will very possibly be diagnosed tomorrow when bloodwork comes back. He has a bad heart Murmor and a collapsing trachea and bladder stones (for the 4th time). I don't know what options we will have with all of these ailments. Thanks

How old was he when he was diagnosed? I have same breed of dog..14 years old with tons of other issues. He gets around find and still likes to play...I don't want to cause him to be lethargic and depressed or in pain. What meds was he on that you quit giving him? Thanks for our help

I have a 13 1/2 year old miniture dachshund that was diagnosed with pituatery dependent cushings 10 months ago.  He has been on trilostane this entire time.  Was doing well initially but then in January started having eating issues and diarreah.  he also started humping our other dog and we did a adrenal ACTH stem on him and he has confirmed elevated testosterone and progesterone.  So our vet has recommended we take him off all medication.  We were going to try the other drug but the vet said it has the same side effects.  So he currently is drinking a ton and having diarreah and has to go out every 3-4 hours.  anyone have a similar situation and ws wondering how you worked through it.

what did you feed him

Is your pet taking vetoryl?

Just wanted to say that my Shelby (a Beagle/Sheppard mix) was about 7 years old when she was diagnosed with Cushings.  Of course, I panicked at first.  I looked online for info and treatment options.  I tried the Cushex drops first, but they did not work for her.  My vet started her on Vertoryl.  In the beginning, she was taking 90mg twice a day.  It's very important to monitor your dog while on this medication.  If you notice any changes in eating habits,drinking or activity levels, notify your vet.  A simple blood test will tell them if the dosage needs to be lower or higher.  So, it is now about 7 years later and my Shelby is still hanging in there.  She in now on 30mg of Vertoryl which she takes every 3 days.  Don't know if anyone will even read this, but wanted to let people know that there is hope out there!!  When properly managed, Cushings can be kept under control and the dog can live a long, happy life!!

I just read your post re. your westi. I have a 12 year old bichon who is being treated for cushings. But the reason I am reaching out to you is I just had to put down my westi Sat. He was 13. I just needed to talk to someone who had and loved their westi. I loved him so, so much. He meant the world to me. He hd an obstruction in his intestence. I tried for 3 weeks to save him but when he got so sick I had to have him put down. He was my everything. Thank you.

J. King

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Thank you all for your advice on Cushings. Our beautiful 9 year old SBT has been diagnosed 2 weeks ago with Pituatary Cushings. She has had no symptoms and i took her to the vets as she looked a bit rough and was treated for an infection. The usual bloods were run and xrays and ultra sounds as her liver and spleen were enlarged.  She tested positive on the ACTH test and has been on vetoryl since.

I feel guilty as surely i should have picked something up that she was not quite herself.

Its so good to see many dogs onhere who are living long lives as our vet reckons anywhere between 2 - 4 years but you have given me hope we can get a couple more good years on top of this.

Our beagle has had cushings since she was 7 and she is now 12 1/2.  Her main symptom is excessive panting.  She has very elevated liver enzymes apart from the cushings, and we don't know why.  Had a liver sonogram, and it more like she has a fatty liver.  Our dog takes vetoryal, and does ok with it.  She does need more at this point, but we have chosen not to give more.  She still gets one per day, but she needs another one, but the expense is holding us back.  She is still very fisty, and enjoys her walks, and still likes to chase squirrels, and rabbits, and such.  Like every human, every dog is different in their response to illness and treatments.

I was so glad to see this post, my little girl , a beagle is 10 yrs old and was just diagnosed with cushings, her issues started at the end of August. She has always been a water guzzler and is a winter not summer dog. Sept hit and a little cooler realized, something was really off and out of character for her. Drinking lots of water, refusing to walk, the panting could hardly make up steps at night then she snipped at her younger sister for treat that was it. A week of that and took her in , the vet did a physical and said nothing wrong physically did senior panel and came back high liver enzimes. Long story short the 2 blood tests and ultrasound later defiantly cushings, no other problems, no cancer anywhere, no rumors etc. put her on the British capsule 2 weeks ago and a 360 turnaround, did the blood test and came back vey good. Hoping she still has 3 or 4 more good years, she has a little arthritis that will act up in rain but that's it. He had said I had caught it real early, just by instinct and most people think it's old age. Am very happy, I hope she has many more years of being a beagle,!

Is the average life expectancy with or without medicine?

Hello I have a duchund who was diagnosed about 3years ago. He has been in the odds and we was seeing a local vet who was brilliant.. but he now has to go to the pdsa clinic.. the vet stopped his atopica straight away since then he is really struggling now . He seems really depressed. I'm looking to buy atopica online if I can get a vets prescription as its much cheaper. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi. I can relate to your comment about Vetoryl being expensive, but it was the only thing that would keep my Shelby going so I had to keep her on it, and on the right dosage. Found out our vet would price-match for meds. I found a place online that sold Vetoryl for about half the price we were paying at the vet's office. All I had to do is print it out and take it to the vet and they would give us the cheaper price. It might be very beneficial for you to ask your vet if they do price-matching on meds. :)