That's great. My 11 year old miniature schnauzer just diagnosed, and I want quality of life so I really don't want to go the medicine route. What is the name of the multi vitamins, Chinese herbals and the recipe for the home cooked food? Thank you for your reply. She is the light of my life! God bless all of you.

Hi, I just read your post today. I'm glad that your dog is doing well. I will appreciate if you could let me know the treatment your dog had and any other things I can do to help combat the disease

Hi Samantha,

Can you let me know where your vet is?

Our Beagle was diagnosed with Cushings in September 2015 when she was just over 9 years old.
She died (aged 11 years minus 10 days) on 21-06-2017.
Cushings can affect other organs as time goes on and her heart was enlarged and eventually failed.
We gave her the medication the vet prescribed (Vetoryl, and later on heart tablets and diuretics) and were very careful to give all medication regularly and on time, routine is important. The financial cost was high we would not have had her with us for the extra two years if we had not given her the medication.

Our vet told us that the life expectancy after diagnosis is not usually more than a couple of years and that we did very well.

I am pleased to read here that there are exceptions, it just goes to show what good care does.

Feeling totally heart broken at the moment without her :-(

I'm scared, my dog is going to be 12 next month and has just been diagnosed with bushings

We have a border collie mix who was diagnosed with cushings at age 9 just a couple months ago. Her vet did not advise treatment because the side affects are just as bad. They said it's best to control the symptoms. She pants more with cushings but of course when she's hot she pants very hard. After noticing she barely pants at all while laying on a concrete floor I knew she was much happier staying cool as possible. So I bought her a small blower fan that runs 24/7 and she loves it! Her best nights sleep in 6 months was laying in front of that fan. She did not move all night and she did not pant. Since she has gained weight with the cushings the doctor tried her on a diet food but she could not digest it well. So after referencing the internet it was suggested to put her on grain free food. She is eating Taste of the wild grain free. We measure out for her weight goal. She loves it and it works! It's a slow and steady weight loss as it should be. The vet also suggested keeping her out and walking and being a dog as much as possible as long as it's not too hot. She does have the dry skin and some hair loss but it's nothing to worry about. Definitely keeping her cool is a big change and improvement! Just have whatever ailments treated and don't worry about your dog. Adult and older dogs have issues pop up often anyway. Good luck with!

Hi. My Yorkie was diagnosed in 2010 with Cushings and immediately went on Vetoryl 10mg and got diabetes in latter part of 2014. She is 10 yrs old now and still going... so that's 7 years with Cushings and 2.5 years with diabetes getting two shots of insulin a day. She was also diagnosed with Collapsed Tracchea in 2010. She gets a lot of love and kisses and she has two sisters a poodle and another yorkie.

I definitely believe that you are on to ssomething here!!

Not true Humans are omnivorous, which is plant and protein that is why we have cutting teeth and grinding teeth

Thank you, you are exactly right.
My rescue pooch developed diabetes a yr ago, now showing signs of Cushings. On insulin x2 daily, can't afford chemo type treatments or expensive positive diagnosing. Copper has good days a lousy days, we are a good match. I feed him specialized diabetic foods but blood sugar is not well controlled. We see a vet monthly, all I want is for Cooper to be comfortable and have no pain issues as he is arthritic due to early life trauma . My heart aches for all of us whose pets are family members in every sense, and have these serious issues. Bless all of you for sharing your concerns and stories.

What if the Cushing is complicated by diabetes and a thyroid condition

I manage this diease for my dog with Adrenal Harmony Gold by Pet Wellbeing and it has made a difference!

How have you fed your dog? is he on meds?

Did you get any answers to your question? I don't see any. My dog also has Cushings and I am wondering the same thing. Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease. Please let me know what happened to your dog. Thanks! Pam

We only give Vetoryl 10mg to our girl which controls the symptoms very well. Be careful not to overdose with Vetorly as this can be more serious than the original disease.