I took our 15 year old labradoodle to the vet last night, and was told she probably has cushings disease. I have noticed in the past year that she was drinking more water than normal and sleeps a lot. All her life she has lived on chicken necks and raw live, with the occasional tinned salmon when I've forgotten to buy fresh chicken necks. She still runs like a pup at times and loves her food.

We will be putting our 17 year old shih tzu down in 2 days. She was diagnosed with Cushings over 5 years ago and was place on Vetoryl. She also started 2 heart meds and Zentonil for Congestive Heart Failure. We were prompted to take her to the vet years ago when she would stumble around the age of 11 when she was on her walks. From a very young age she panted and was very slow. We found out about heart condition later in her life, with medication for all of this she was so much better and lived a normal life until dementia set in around the age of eleven. I watched a vet on the news talk about Hills Brain Health and Anti aging prescription kibbles, the review where excellent so we tried it. She has now been on it for over 5 years and within 2 weeks she was a different dog, no longer needing Melatonin for dementia. She has brought us tons of joy and even my best human friend who we meant on one of her walks. We have a stray cat that has walked around the block with her for years every night at 8:30 who we eventually took in and they are the best of friends. He will miss her fore sure. But as it goes for each us, we all live in the "circle of life". She will be held tight over the next 2 days.

I dont know if I'm to late but I would suggest going in the grocery department and I. the cooking oil get the Virgin cococonut oil in a jar and rub it on her/him it's very good for their skin and fur it's also ok for the to eat so it won't harm them you can verify it online which I always do when I get advice and I say go to the cooking dept because you get more for your money and it's the same as if you bought it at the pet store

what treatment did you follow

My precious little Chi-weenie boy only lived 2 years after his diagnosis of Cushings disease he was only 2 years old when he was diagnosed and the veterinarian chose not to treat him for Cushings, he said that he wanted to wait until my dog's symptoms got worse in meantime he was also diagnosed with diabetes and his blood sugar was always high I kept telling the veterinarian but nothing was done even after he came down with ketoacidosis and pancreatitis luckily he pulled through the first time when I took him to the emergency veterinarian. Then he starting having eye problems and I had to take him to an eye specialist because the veterinarian was treating him for an ulcer for 3 months in his eye but all along he was suffering from chronic dry eye syndrome so he finally got the right medication for his eyes and then about 3 weeks later he got a cataract in his left eye and it because all of the sudden it was causing pain and pressure and he was very uncomfortable! So I called the eye specialist and he was able to see my baby right away and the he put some medicine in his eye to make him feel better and told me that I needed to get the cataract surgery asap and we were planning on it but then my little boy got sick again with pancreatitis and ketoacidosis again and this time he didn't recover. I am not really happy with the decisions that veterinarians made not to treat my dog because I think that they didn't even give him a chance. The veterinarian that treated him for the pancreatitis and ketoacidosis the second time told me that his insulin should have been changed long ago because the long acting insulin he was on wasn't working for him and I thought no kidding! I hope that you have a good caring veterinarian taking care of your dog. Because I know that I tried to get the care for my fur baby but it just didn't happen and losing him has been a very hard. He was the sunshine of my life! I just wanted to add that the veterinarian that was treating him the second time for ketoacidosis and pancreatitis had discharged him too soon and I had him home one night, the next day I went out and came home to get him to take him back to the veterinarian to hopefully get him well and as sick as he was he still managed to be so happy to see me.

My beautiful brown lab was diagnosed with cushing about 6 months ago, we treated him as we could, he passed away yesterday leaving me alone in this world :( :( :(

I am so very sorry to hear that you lost your beautiful brown lab. It will be 9 months since I lost my fur baby and I still miss him everyday! He passed away from complications of his Cushings disease and Diabetes .The first few months after his death I was overwhelmed with a lot guilt and grief at the same time thinking I should have done this or I should have that for him to help him. My friend told me that my baby wouldn't want me to stop loving another just because I lost him but you see I would give up all my unnecessary worldly things and if I could have my fur baby back! I know most all of us would. Who would have known that a cute little puppy that I found on Craigslist would have captured my heart and soul and become my best little friend and I am grateful for the time that I had with him but it was too short, only 4 years. But it was the best 4 years of my life! I just wanted to let you know that aren't completely alone because there are plenty of us right with you and understand what you are going through right now with loss of your beautiful brown lab. I have not had much support from friends and family about the loss of my dog because most people just don't understand because they have not experienced that deep connection with a dog, so I have taken the internet for my support because I have to find some healing some where. 

My dog iS 14. And just been diagnosed with Cushing's what are the things to worry about.

Have you found something to restore their fur? My dogs is very dry and brittle

thank you, I panicked when I found out she had it, well they took a blood sample but she is losing hair and her stomach does seem bloated, I thought she was just fat. Her name is Gemma a cross breed maltese and would be eleven years . Do they get sick and how long would a she have to live. I really don't know if it kills them

My 14 year old Shitzu was diagnosed a little over a year ago with Cushing Disease and is doing great! Yes the initial blood work was expensive and the maintenance pills aren't cheap but he is back to be being himself! Our vet is wonderful allowing us to buy his meds at cost and not insisting on constant blood tests. We feel lucky to be able to afford this because Kirby's quality of life is great!

Why not Medicare your dog?

My dog was just diagnosed with Cushing's disease he is 9 years old what is his life expectancy with medication and what would it be without medication

Trilostane runs about 40-60.00 per month. Not sure why he said 2500. You do have to have many blood tests done while on the medication but they are only about 80.00 every few months once an ideal dose is reached. I have a 12 year old that was diagnosed 4 years ago. We started trilostane last December due to increasing symptoms and she is like a new dog!

hi joan we have a westie and she has cushings diesase it has a lot of different things ie our westie has thinning hair and a very pot belly she too stopped jumping on furniture etc and going for walks,,,,,,does ur betsy drink alot of water monitor it on a daily basis,,,,,,,i dont know where u are based but we use vets for pets in rotherham they are brilliant ,,,,,ur betsy may have addisons thats quite close to cushings too.....i hope this helps u if u need any other info just ask