I can empathize with your distress - you are trying to improve your health and it appears to be going backwards. Part of the issue is the stress you have from not getting answers from professionals. I recommend some damage control. First of all, these are signs of detox. Second, you can manage the symptoms. For Constipation: take 2 Tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil every morning. And drink water - lots of water (I drink 4 27 oz glasses per day). For a boost in energy, eat an apple, a handful of raisins and a handful of nuts (I love cashews). Next: please please eat beets. Beets are natural vasodilators and improve your blood flow and blood pressure for 24 hours after eaten. I eat 1/3 to 1/2 a can of beets most days. You won't fall over dead if you have to skip a day. Finally: have Faith. You are doing the right thing for your body and it will continue to be the right thing even though the medical doctor cannot explain it to you. Give yourself at least 6 months (remember how many many many months you injured your body) before you get excited. You can do this.

I quit smoking 9 months ago, and I still have the edema, moderate joint pain, and occasional shortness of breath. I smoked for 50 years so I figure this is going to take awhile to clear out of my system. At least that's what I'm hoping.

Do you have huge swelling? Mine has just started after two weeks of giving up smoking and I look as if I have tree trunks rather than legs.

I'm having the same exact problem as everyone else mine didn't start until a month after quitting. I already drink tons of water everyday. I already eat rather healthy. I don't know what's going on. I ended up picking up an e cigarette with very low nicotine and started using it. Still not smoking regular cigarettes which is guess is a good thing. Still have edema especially in my abdomen. I'm hoping this is just due to not smoking. I have shortness of breath no energy the swelling in pain. I've seen my doctor and he has referred me to a heart doctor and they're running some tests. I really don't believe it's my heart but I don't know if that's wishful thinking or if it's just not my heart lol but I can't understand why this didn't happen until a month after quitting because I initially felt great after quitting.

I too am having this. Minor swelling in my feet. They say it happens more to women and older women according to the feet doctors online. I am only 2r and recently quit smoking after 10 years now I have swelling in my feet that hurt... I am going to also get checked out by the doctor.

I quit smoking 2011 and Started getting edema but never assoiciated it with quitting smoking initially. As the years went by my edema got worse to the point that it spread from just my feet and legs to my face, hands and tongue. After 1 year of trying to find out why I was getting the edema with no real answers from the drs or specialistd who put me on antihistamines 4 times a day (exhausting!). But did not alleviate the edema! I even went to a blood specialist at a cancer clinic and had every blood test imaginable, still no answers. So I thought long and hard after numerous overnight visits to the hospital and at my wits end, then the relisation that this s all started when I stopped smoking cold turkey, hit me. So as an experiment end 2014 started smoking again and it stopped. No more midnight hospital visits because my tongie was swollen, no more sore hot swollen face. No more looking like I had hotox and it went wrong, it ended! But in the last 2 weeks due to my fear of feeling breathless, I decided I needed to cut down atleast if not give up. So I was smoking 15-20 cigs a day. I cut down to 5-10 more 5 a day now and have had the edema start flaring up on my facial again and I have like hives on my chest. I feeling a bit freaked out as I really believe the edema is probley better then the enthusima that the smoking can cause. If anybody finds a treatment please let me know.

New Member
1 post

I was a two-to-three cigarette a day smoker for almost five years, and quit cold turkey over a year and a half ago. Almost as soon as I did, my legs and feet began swelling up, and continued to do so no matter what I tried. No heart issues, no clots, no nothing. Tried water pills and natural diuretics, tried low sodium diets for blood pressure, nothing worked. Just recently, I started up again, because the only thing that was different between before and now, was I stopped smoking, and after the first two cigarettes, the swelling began to diminish drastically. My legs and feet were so swollen that they've lost some of their elasticity, so they're still puffy and enlarged, but rather than being hard as a rock from the swelling, now they're soft and squishy. It's bizarre to think that something that's bad for me, is helping to reduce the swelling...