I can empathize with your distress - you are trying to improve your health and it appears to be going backwards. Part of the issue is the stress you have from not getting answers from professionals. I recommend some damage control. First of all, these are signs of detox. Second, you can manage the symptoms. For Constipation: take 2 Tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil every morning. And drink water - lots of water (I drink 4 27 oz glasses per day). For a boost in energy, eat an apple, a handful of raisins and a handful of nuts (I love cashews). Next: please please eat beets. Beets are natural vasodilators and improve your blood flow and blood pressure for 24 hours after eaten. I eat 1/3 to 1/2 a can of beets most days. You won't fall over dead if you have to skip a day. Finally: have Faith. You are doing the right thing for your body and it will continue to be the right thing even though the medical doctor cannot explain it to you. Give yourself at least 6 months (remember how many many many months you injured your body) before you get excited. You can do this.

I quit smoking 9 months ago, and I still have the edema, moderate joint pain, and occasional shortness of breath. I smoked for 50 years so I figure this is going to take awhile to clear out of my system. At least that's what I'm hoping.

Do you have huge swelling? Mine has just started after two weeks of giving up smoking and I look as if I have tree trunks rather than legs.