Hello -

My boyfriend (Caucasian, blonde) suffers from red bumps, ingrown hairs, and rashes after shaving. We have effectively treated this with a regimen of exfoliation, oil, etc. before he shaves, high quality shaving products, and a good moisturizer after he's done.

However, there are certain areas of his face, especially along the jaw line, where the hair follicles seem to be "rotten." There are certain follicles that produce very thick, black hairs (that we have identified as causing the ingrown hairs) so he has started plucking them before shaving. He cannot feel anything when the hair is plucked out, and it slides out of his skin like it's not attached. The roots of these hairs are covered in a slimy goo.

We are just curious if he has a strange skin condition that should be looked at, or if this is a common problem (but most men don't pluck their beard hairs, so don't realize it.)

Thanks!

That sounds like a condition that could warrant looking at. I am a man (if you couldn't tell by the name!) and I have had some ingrown hairs along the jawline. It's more common to men than one might think. But hearing of beard hairs that come out easily and painlessly and covered in goo, that sounds very strange. I think that seeing a dermatologist is in order! Please keep us posted though.

Hi:
This sounds like it would be painful. The slimy goo would be a concern. It is reason to see a dermatologist. There are many remedies available today for skin problems. It's a booming market. I'm sure that a doctor will have some effective treatment for him. If there is infection, the plucking may not be a good idea. Yes, he should see someone so that he can have some relief, start all over, and move forward. Good luck and let us know what the treatment turns out to be.