What is the difference between Karate, Jujitsu, Tae Kwan Do? (sp???)

We feel that since there are few opportunities for group sports here, one of the above would be very helpful for instilling discipline and focus for our 12 y/o son. He is already an avid skateboarder spending many hours a week boarding/blading.

He has expressed an interest in martial arts for the flexibility/agility aspects to strengthen his other sports.

What do you advise? Is it a good idea? Please give any and all thoughts on this topic, it is a foreign world, and there may be things I haven't considered.

We have considered gymnastics, too. (He thinks it would be cool)

He is already 5'1" and about 100 pounds of muscles. He spends most of his time outdoors.

Thanks!!

style and orginating country. Some are more offensive some are defensive.

I believe karate and Jujuitsu are Japanesse style while TKD is Korean

If I am not mistaken, Tae Kwan Do incorporates more focus on kicking/leg work and Karate with the arms. That was how it was explained to me.

TriBob is prolly our resident expert on martial arts.....I know he's been taking it for years and I believe he teaches as well. He'd be able to tell you which would be best for what you want to do with it.

I wish I had the time, I'd love to learn, but the sparring thing bothers me, I am just not an physically agressive person. If I could find something where you just learned forms and didn't actually have to get into it with someone, I'd do it. That's why I like tai chi.

He is already 5'1"
:? i hate to think that a 12 yro is taller than me, and he prolly hasnt even hit his growth spurt yet.

ALL my kids are taller than you, even the 12 y.o.