I'm a 23 year old student and yesterday I was walking around town and my left testicle started to really hurt. At one point I was almost doubled over in pain. Went home and undressed, and after awhile it felt better. Woke up today feeling better, but then realized that even the slightest touch or bumping hurts as bad as the day before and takes awhile to subside. Tried to examine myself but it's pretty uncomfortable to do so. The testicle might be inflammed but it is often larger than the right one. Specifically the pain is originating on the top of the testicle. In the past I have occasionally, say once or twice a year at most, had pain in the same testicle but much milder that lasted only an hour or two. If I touch or move it the pain spreads up into my groin an inch or so.

Tried masturbating to see if maybe that would improve the situation if it was some sort of blood flow issue, but that didn't help. Have a long term girlfriend and STD test since the two of us got together so I know It's nothing related to an STD. Is this something that will go away on its own or am I going to have to bite the financial bullet and see a doctor?

Considering that the pain is so strong I would have it checked. The fact that it is coming from the top of your testicle could be due to an inflammation of the epididymis, a tube that lies on top and at the back of the testicle and stores sperm. The infection is usually bacterial and does cause such severe pain. Sometimes the pain may be followed by fever, a person may notice some swelling or a lump on the testicle.

Inflammation of the epididymis is easily treated with antibiotics but don’t take just any antibiotics on your own, it would be best if they were prescribed by your doc in relation to the bacteria.

If left untreated, it could lead to some serious complications like include testicular infarction, scrotal abscess, scrotal fistula, chronic epididymitis and infertility.

All acute pain in the testicles is considered a medical emergency and requires an examination.

Hi, I'm 27 and I have the same problem, I experience an intense pain just by touching the region at the top of my left testicle and at the back where the epididymis is connected to the left testicle, and it takes a minute or two after letting go for the pain to subside. The tesicle is extremely sensitive and the pain runs into my lower left abdomen. There is absolutely no pain on or around the right testicle, it is actually pleasurable to touch the right one, so I know there has to be something wrong here.

I just had an ultrasound done on the testis, but I believe they were looking for the wrong things. The urologist who examined me said he thought it might be a varicose vein. There is no obvious evidence of the varicose vein. Also, the ultasound examiner asked me if I was there because of infertility! I explained it was because of pain. She replied, your veins are borderline, it is probably not what is causing the pain.

Now I wait one more week before seeing the urologist again for the follow up appt. I also notice that my left testicle is larger and swollen compared to my right. I am afraid the doctor is going to tell me he can't help me and I'm going to have to live with this for the rest of my life.

The same thing happened to me. One morning it suddenly happened when I sat down. The pain was incredible and I was really scared. Then the next day the pain was still there, but wasn't as strong and now on the third or fourth day it is almost gone...and I hope forever too.

I am 20 years old and have the same situation going on here.
I've been getting quick, sharp pains in my left testicle for the past few months but didn't think anything of it because of sore muscles all over the body due to sports and other activities. Yesterday my left testicle started to hurt more than ever, along with my lower abdomen, and a type of fluid has surrounded the testicle only on the left side. After going to a Walk-In Clinic, the doctor said it may be a tendon issue but that still does not explain the fluid. I am going for an ultra sound tomorrow, but i wanted to know if this has any ties to testicular cancer.
Prostate and colon cancer do run in my family, so this is extra comforting.

I have experienced pain in my left testy for 7 years, sometimes it feels like a constant winding in my stomach.
I have had several ultrasound , seen numerous urologists and i always am given anti biotics. this seems to do the trick for a few months but the pain keeps coming back!

Think im just going to live with the problem, feel like an id**t constantly going the docs as they say the same thing but it does have me in agaony!

I'm 29 and have had this same pain in on my left testicle, but the pain keeps coming back every couple of weeks, rather sudden and it lasts for about 1 day - from testicle to lower abdomen. Went to the physician and he said that the cords might have tied the circulation, and it's common to the cords (vains, etc) to get tied up. I did not buy that and went to doctor @ Kaiser and had an ultrasound done. The pro-doctor said that I have a cyst and that's why the pain is there. (no medicine was given)

If you have better explanation, please let everyone know.

I have the same problem now, and the reply was SO helpful when that person said about having a fever

I do have the flu now and i felt it about 15 mins ago and it was unbearable i tried moving but it was hard

I felt and realized i couldent touch the testicle string bit ( im sorry i dont know the word for it) the string that connects the testicle to the whatever it is

But i have had the problem before but it went so tomorrow im gonna go and get myself checked because even though i do have the flu

some say its the beginning of cancer (on other websites) better to be safe than sorry

thank you so much for this

hope you all get better soon :-)

Im only 16 just for the record you seem to be in your 20's

Can it affect someone at my age?

many thanks

Bradleigh

Hi im 28 and i have to tell you all...dont diagnose yourselves and get to the doctors and leave it to them...although that too can be a problem sometimes. I had my right testicle removed earlier this year due to a small tumor that was noticed by myself accidentally whilst holidaying. it had hurt me for 7yrs and i was going back and forth with results coming back all clear until this year. I have had it removed and am being monitored for the next couple of years. I was told that if you had un-descended testicles as a kid (where it gets stuck in the abdomen), you are 12-13 times more likely to get cancer down there as you get older 26-40 yrs of age.
My left testicle now hurts and i have had that checked...i have been told it has something to do with epididimis...a chemical reaction... that will go away in time. We will see how it goes.
My only advice to all the males is check your testi's in the shower once a month. It could save your life...and by the way...its works perfectly fine with one testi.

I've got tremendous pain running from left testicle straight up into and through abdomen almost to lower ribs on my left side. When eating over the past few days, even the smallest bit, I got quite nauseated.

From what I've read I can't tell if this is a testicular issue or abdominal hernia. Has anybody had this sensation and got an answer from a medical professional?

Cheers.

found this and thought it might be useful.

Our Testes have appendix's on them like in our gut, these can die and cause a lot of pain and swelling. Although this sounds really bad it's not! The pain will subside after a few uncomfortable weeks and there will be no damage to your man-hood or ability to perform. Alternatively you can take advantage of the Health system, get a check up and have it removed by an operation. It doesn't take much, a few stitches and your back on your feet in a week. This may not be the reason why they hurt, but it could be one which most people dont know about.

I'm 42, and have had this symptoms for approximately 3 years. Since having a vasectomy. I have been also repeatedly prescribed antibiotics, it comes and goes. I've found the only solution was to regularly masturbate or have sex with the wife. This keeps the area free of bacteria. I've also found that wearing less restrictive underwear keeps the pain at bay.

My Dr has mentioned that the condition is related to bacteria living in the area, the only way to clear them out is to take antibiotics, and keep them fluids flowing.

Back in August of 2008 I had had a groin injury but not a hernia. They did a ultrasound on my left and right testicles and didn't find anything wrong. I visited the Urologist a few days later and he prescribed anti flam and pain pills to me but I had bad side effects and stopped taking them. However the goof told me that I had a very small fluid sac but it wasn't nothing to worry about.

I'd say the last week of January of 2009 I was woken by a lot of pain in the same area but the next morning I was ok. I tried taking it easy and treating it myself, taking ibuprofen and icing. It went away for a good week and then returned and keeps going in cycles. I self examined myself weeks prior but was clean and about a week ago I found a cist or lump on the upper left side :-(

P.S: I doubt it's an STD even though I did have one session of unprotected sex with my girlfriend at the time (We dated for 3 months). I don't have burning urinating and even when I masturbate everything feels and looks normal. I know some STD's can cause swelling of the testicles but I am pretty sure I may have a serious hernia. I mean a cist or lump doesn't just show up.

I have been battling the same pain as described in this post. I was perscribed an antibioitc for 20 days and it did not really quite fix the problem bit it did seem to help.

I have tracked the problem down to some herbal supplements I've been taking and the real kicker is that it took me over a month after I stopped taking the supplements for it the pain to stop.

The supplement were for prostrate and another for libido. They contained many of the same ingredients. I have not isolated the ingredient that causes the pain but here is a list of some things you might want to steer clear of for awhile and see if it helps:

Ginger Root Extract
turned on Goat Weed Extract
Niacin
L-Arginine
Yohimbe
Maca
Ashwagandha

I went yesterday to the VA medical center due to my left testicle hurting for about a week.
It was like numb dull pain which was worse at sometimes, I thought I pulled a muscle and was holding the left testicle a lot while going through my day waiting for it to go away..

After going to the Emergency Room and it taking like 5 hours of waiting, I gave blood and urine and it came back ok, the doctor then examined the left testi and said it was not torision and then I was off to have an ultrasound. Ultrasound was weird as I have never had a man lube up my testicles but as I was so scared it didn't matter. After talking with him he said it didn't look normal and now I started to freak out...I asked if it was epididymis and they said not sure but don't think so, & that I need to hear from a Dr.

Back in waiting room they had a shift change and another doctor came by and said that I had fluid around my testicle and a small sac of veins or something (medical terms I could not remember), that was the cause. This they said it is an infection.

They prescribed Antibiotics(doxyicycline) and a few pain meds, motron...
Today is the first day on the antibotics and still nothing...10 day program, was told not to drink alcohol or have sex....