Hi. I had a nose job. My surgeon was famous Dr. Dean Toriumi. He was specialized in rhinoplasty, blepharoplasty and rhytidectomy. I am very happy now. My new nose is so much better and it looks just like it should. I feel better now about myself. I just wanted to say Dr. Toriumi is the best.

Hi. A friend of mine went to Chicago to have a rhinoplasty. Her surgeon was Dr. Dean Toriumi too. She was very miserable when she came back. She was not very pleased with the result. However, I think her nose is perfect. I must say, looking at her, I also admire his work. I just think no matter what kind of a nose she has, she will always feel like this. It`s just in her head. Her nose looks really great. I have started to think about rhinoplasty at Dr. Toriumi`s office too.

hi,

How much did you paid for the nosejob???

How much did the surgery cost? How long did it take for the surgery?

Thanks

degraw wrote:

dr dean toriumi charges around 15000 to 25000....very expensive and his consult is around 375 as of april 2009!!!! way overpriced for chicago...also i hear alot of bad unhappy patients that claim he sucks....sopposedly he uses rib cartilage grafts that make the nose look fat and huge and also that he does alar base reduction with unsightly scars!!! thats why i cancelled my revision rhinoplasty with him...also he wanted to charge me around 20k...no way!!! if people talk that he is not all that then i beleive them because people said on the internet that the doctor i preveiously went to for my nose job was bad and i got a bad nose job from him too and he charged me 35000 dls (a different sugeon who was hyped up like toriumi!!!) all i can say is that i heard dr. wafik hannah does nice nosejobs and ive personally saw this rude b***h in a tanning place who had her nose done 20 yrs ago and her nose was nice..her face ugly but the nose was nice,... i asked her if she had a nose job because i can spot one a mile a minute and she said yes and that it was rude to ask then i said who did it because i want to go to her surgeon and she said wafik hannah of hinsdale,il

degraw wrote:

I doint know if you still around, if yes can you let me know if you share pics.
thanks :D

degraw wrote:

PlZ let me know if you still around/on board as i need some information regarding your Rhino op.
z00z00 :D

first of all dr. toriumi seems to be lowering his prices because almost everyone i know has paid about $30,000 for surgery with him. also, if you think you will just pay what he quoted you that is most likely not going to be the case. you should count on being hit with additional medical charges after the surgery. i believe he underestimates surgery time for the initial charge and almost always operates beyond that time. you will be charged for his misjudgements in time. i had to pay thousands more than he had quoted me after the fact because of this. he also assured me my insurance would cover part of the surgery. i called numerous times before my surgery to be sure they had filed my stuff through insurance and they kept telling me not to worry because i would be covered. when i got to chicago for my surgery they informed me that my insurance would not cover me. well, what was i going to do at that point? i had already flown to chicago paid for my hotel for the next 2 weeks etc etc.

as for the results of my surgery? i can only describe it as a complete gutting of all cartilage and a complete disregard of all previously agreed upon surgical plans. my entire nose is in a rib lined straight jacket. i can't overstate this enough. if you touch any part of my nose that should be flexible it will feel like bone. needless to say my nose is incapable of motion and thus is incapable of looking like or functioning like a natural nose.

dr.toriumi gave mean an alar base reduction against my clear will (this is cutting out two wedges from your nostrils, disposing of them and then sewing your nostrils back up). this left my nice nostrils deformed and scarred.

dr. toriumi left me with a nose far worse off than what i had going in. i have a nose that is so drastically changed from its original state that it no longer relates to my facial structures or features in any normal looking or nice looking way. my nose which functioned well before his surgery now does not. i have a shapeless nose that has no normal contours (it is barely swollen and he has told me so), it has graft bulging out and pulling my nose into this completely awful tube-like shape. there is no tip, there is no columella. this is horrible but the best way i can describe the look of it is like a bulging garden hose with two holes in it. i can't imagine what this doctor could possibly be thinking to torture a nose into such a formation. the profile is nice (although nothing like what we had agreed on prior to surgery) but if i move so much as a millimeter off profile it becomes an aesthetic nightmare.

because his surgery was essentially a gutting and then shoving of massive rib grafts in i honestly feel have no where to go from here. i have no hope that anyone can undo this damage and i am beyond devastated.

dr. toriumi essentially abandoned me after my surgery. he refused to answer my questions and if i dared to ask them again he would become furious. he would demand i fly to see him for months after my surgery on a 2-4 week basis (door to door this would typically be around 16 hours of travel and was not cheap). i did this for months on end after my surgery for fear any variation from what he wanted would anger him. and believe me managing dr. toriumi and his moods became the main focus of my visits. if i said or asked something he did not like he was as likely as not to end my visit right then and there and walk out the door. more often than not i would spend 16 hours traveling for a 3-5 min visit where he would refuse to answer my questions. i would leave so upset i would cry the entire flight home. i finally stoped going because the whole process was clearly not for my benefit.

i would not recommend this doctor. if he provided good results i would say maybe you could endure his un doctorly behavior but when there are so many doctors out there why would you choose one who has patients with experiences and results like his? i wish with all my heart that i had never let that man anywhere near me or my face.

I am devasted by how badly Dr. Toriumi botched me and how he treated me after.

He did the opposite of everything he promised to do -- he raised my radix making me look like a unicorn with my bridge so high it comes straight out of my forhead. He cut up, deformed and scarred my nostrils.

He made my nose extremely wide and crooked. My nose has no tip -- just a wide, crooked high bridge that ends with flared crooked angry bull like nostrils.

He yelled at me and walked out on me when I asked him why my result looks nothing like the imaging and is nothing like what he promised it would be. He told me that no one else can fix me -- once he touches a nose, no one else is capable of redoing it.

He is the rudest, most arrogant man in the world. I went to him after Richard Ellenbogen chopped my nose off. If you need your nose reconstructed, go to Andrew Frankel, Jay Calvert, Frederick Menick or Guyuron --

Do not go to Toriumi unless you want to look deformed.

hahaha...thats hilarious. I'm sure that lady was rude only because you asked her if she had had a nose job....I would be pissed too!

If any of those patients who have had problems with their revisions on their noses need additional surgery I would suggest Dr Daniel in Newport Beach. He wrote 7 textbooks and is an extremely competent surgeon. He has been able to help many of my patients who have had bad rhinoplasties and have needed to be redone. The office is very helpful and the results are natural looking.

To guest who posted at 07/22/09

I'm not a patient of Dr.Toriumi, neither have I met him. I just like to metion that if you've encounter a nasty surgeon, you can file a complaint against him at the state medical board.

Dr. Toriumi even asked me to bring with him photos of how I wanted my nose to look and to write down the details largely on a paper -- even though I told him and showed him pictures all six times that I had to fly out to Chicago to consult with him before my surgery. He kept wanting to see me to see if my skin seemed "stretcheable enough" after having been made extremely short and flat by Richard Ellenbogen of Beverly Hills.

After less than six months out from my Ellenbogen surgery, Dr. Toriumi insisted that my skin was stretcheable enough for him to rebuild my nose and to make it long and project the tip. (I had gone to Richard Ellenbogen to make my tip less pinched, not to chop my nose off).

The morning of my surgery, I was trying to get out of it, as Toriumi's own anesthesiologist was pleading with me not to go through with it (my blood cooagulation levels were very abnormal. I told Dr. Toriumi, I did not want to have surgery, and I even told him I thought the abnormal blood levels were a sign from g-d to not have surgery (in my mind I was thinking g-d was sending me a sign not to have surgery with him) -- I should have listened to my gut. I had a gut feeling that Toriumi was lying to me and that he was not going to do a good job.

I told Toriumi I did not want to have surgery, but Toriumi insisted that I have surgery with him. I told him I was much too scared to, I only agreed to if he promised to make my nose look like the pictures. I specifically pointed out my old columella, and I said, "Dr. Toriumi, do you promise, you can give me this type of columella? This is what my nose used to look like, and that's how I want it to look again. I will only go through with surgery if you promise to give me : a low radix, a narrow nose, extra columella show etc. -- Only if you are 100% certain you can give me the desired outcome -- otherwise I won't go through with this -- my blood levels are too abnormal."

Toriumi, said to me: "I promise you -- I will make your nose just as you want it. I promise extra columella. I promised everything. Don't you trust me? Don't you?!!!
We are already an hour late for your surgery because you are worried about your blood levels when there's nothing to worry about. Don't you trust me?"

Toriumi completely intimidated me and cooerced me into surgery while my brother was right there pleading with him not to make me have surgery with such abnormal blood levels. (I really did not feel right about having surgery with him). Toriumi kept telling my brother and me that he's the best doctor there is, etc.

Toriumi stopped surgery on me hours earlier than he was supposed to because he said I was too messed up by Ellenbogen to fix and that my skin was not stretchable enough. Toriumi took my $30,000, left me botched, even let his fellow operate on me without watching him, and then Toriumi told me to go on living my life looking deformed -- after promising he would fix me!

Another important fact to know about Dr. Toriumi is that he does not perform all of his patients' surgeries. Dr. Toriumi let his fellow operate on me without overseeing what his fellow was doing -- my rib was stored on the bottom of the side of my neck and looked like a giant tumor -- my rib was supposed to be stored under my hair line in my scalp.

(Jay Calvert stores extra rib back where it came from, not in the scalp -- storing it in the scalp is such a weird thing to make humans feel more like lab rats).

Toriumi actually blamed his fellow for storing my rib in the wrong place, and I asked him -- "weren't you supposed to do my surgery, not your fellow?" He replied, "No, my fellow also operates on my patients."

I said, "weren't you watching to see if your fellow was putting my rib in the wrong place." He said, "Sorry."

I then, asked, "Did your fellow do my entire surgery -- is that why my nose looks nothing like what you promised it would? Is that why my radix is high instead of low, my nose is wide and crooked instead of narrow and straight, my tip is still not reconstructed, etc?"

Also, Toriumi cut wedges out of my nostrils and made them assymetrical and with visible scars -- without my informed consent. My nostrils still hurt even almost two years later from these wedges he cut out from them.

Toriumi replied, "If you don't like the outcome, don't look in the mirror. Don't think about your nose any more. Just go on and live your life. No one else can fix a nose after I've worked on it . . . It will rot off your face if you have another surgery . . . "

I consulted with many other plastic and reconstructive surgeons who told me that it was unethical and unsafe for Toriumi to have performed surgery on me at less than six months out from a previous rhino surgery. They told me that my skin had not had enough time to heal, and that it takes at least ten months for skin to heal well enough to stretch out.

Toriumi, I paid you $30,000 for a cosmetic procedure to look good, and you made me deformed and did the opposite of everything I asked for. I am supposed to go on and live my life looking deformed and not look at my face even though I am a young woman living in California? Are you really in the profession of reconstructive surgery?

To make matters worse, I had to fly out to Chicago again to see Toriumi because he was supposed to relocate my rib to the proper place, but instead he removed it and threw it in the garbage without my consent. (I can't believe my stupidity for wasting another $1000 and an entire day more of my time to fly out to have him relocate my rib -- I should have known not to trust him as he lied to me and betrayed me on every single level). He lied to me and said he would relocate it, then he threw it in the garbage. Now, I'll need another rib scar for my next surgery since Toriumi botched me and threw away my extra valuable rib cartilage.

I am also a patient of Dean Toriumis....This man replaced everything in my nose with bulky rib grafts which are rock hard and uncomfortable...My nose did not resemble the imaging in the slightest....It is absolutely aesthetcially disgusting...He lengthened and doubled the width of my nose giving it the appearence of a triangle....When friends and family saw me they were horrified that a doctor could do such a thing...He charged me 30,000 thousand dollars to make me ugly....Please check Rip off Report and Rate A Doctor Md and you will read some heartbreaking stories...I really wish I had been armed with this information before I went to him..I am sorry I ever laid eyes on him or his extremely rude staff....There is a support group with over 30 of us in it suffering from post traumatic stress syndrome after what he did to us...Please dont be fooled by good marketing...Call his peers Dr Jay Calvert Dr Richard Davis they are revising Toriumis work....

I had surgery with Dr. Toriumi and he gave me a big, fat ugly nose. CAVEMAN nostrils too. I just can't believe what he does. Though he had initially agreed to make it smaller. I also have scars at the base of my nose and I don't breathe any better. Stay clear of this man. His office staff is awful and will mislead you about the actual price of surgery. They will charge tons to your medical insurance and whatever your insurance does not pay, they will stick on you. AWFUL, AWFUL, AWFUL. I haven't posted there yet, but will do so soon!!!