MY HISTORY

I have suffered with these for nigh on 15 years now. I would say I have suffered about 100 of these now. They started when i was 15 and had just started shaving down there.
Since then i have been to the GP numerous times, had every cream and antibiotic known to man, had to go to casualty to have them lanced more times than i care to remember, lanced my own so many times i am now a dab hand with a scalpel, and finally been referred to gynecologist who said it was a dermatology problem - so was referred to a dermatologist who said it was a gynecology problem. No-one felt it was their responsibility.

MY WORST ONES

Eventually the chemists knew me so well, they used to give me sterile solutions and scalpels so I could lance my own cleanly, but some were so painful I couldn't - Some of the worst situations involved an emergency operation under a general anesthetic. (graphic bit) my labia had swollen 3x the normal size I couldn't walk, couldn't eat, couldn't sleep, and had now started vomiting. The pain was so bad, once admitted to the hospital, i was put on morphine. After the operation and drainage the hole was so large it had to be packed. This particular one was a re-eruption of an old one over the space of only 2 days!
On another occasion I actually counted 7 in one go. always on the labia and top of the thighs next to the vagina.

WHAT THEY SAID

I was always told to stop shaving - the thing is, after what i have been through i stopped over 10 years ago. I only trim, or use a cream like immac, as it doesnt remove the hair from under the surface.

MY IDEA ON THE CAUSE:

Well now you can imagine - i am terribly scarred in that region. The problem though is this - Whilst i agree the issue is an ingrown hair, that is only the start.
Once the area erupts, and is drained unless you find that hair and remove it permanently, you will then heal with scar tissue - which causes even more problems. The hair is still there - still growing but can not get through the scar tissue - hence why you often get a re - eruption in the same place. I have also noticed the eruptions are closely related to my menstrual cycle. always erupting a few days prior to my period.

WHAT HAS HELPED (IMO)
This is just what has helped/not helped me not professional medical advice

Obviously I don't have a cure, but i do have some small tips on helping alleviate some of the symptoms.

PRE-ERUPTION

1. Don't shave - Particularly don't shave any raw areas. if a hair is starting to come through a scarred area, you are just going to shave it off again!

2. Use a shower puff or exfoliating glove, after baths use a rich non scented moisturizer like E45. This i found kept the are soft and free of dead skin.

3. Take Vitamins in tablet (oral) / cream (direct application)
Vitamin C - boosts the immune system.
Vitamin E / Grape seed oil - moisturizes the skin
Vitamin A - Maintains healthy skin as it reduces the size and secretion of the sebaceous glands.

4. Try and wear cotton underwear, this causes less friction.

5. Hygiene - Goes without saying really!

DURING ERUPTION:

1. firstly get a good light, check to see if you can see a hair struggling to get through. if so use a clean pair of tweezers and get that sucker out and apply some antiseptic, i actually have an aloe vera plant in my bathroom, and use the gel directly from the leaves. if no hair can be seen - you may need the next few tips.

2. Hot baths - The best way out is to get it out - which means bring the infection to the surface. have a hot bath regularly.

3. Use Magnesium Sulphate creams - available from most chemists. This cream should be applied directly, it draws the infection to the surface.

4. Drain it. - But don't force it. Most of the time I can literally just gently squeeze, and it will burst. If your squeezing and squeezing and it's not working- leave it - it isn't ready. If you know for a fact it is ready, but the skin is not breaking because of scar tissue or its just too painful to touch - you may need to have it lanced. If you plan on lancing it yourself, ensure that you wash your hands, wash the area involved, and use sterile pins/needles/scalpels etc. Throw whatever you use away immediately after.
Always apply an antiseptic such as aloe vera after draining, and apply a clean dressings for a day or two.

POST ERUPTION

1. Keep it clean, use an antiseptic gel such as aloe vera regularly. Keep taking the vitamins. Vitamin E is very good for reducing scarring. ( yep, i didn't know about that in time)

AND NOW?

I will always suffer from these, as i know i have ingrown hairs buried deep beneath the scarring, but (touch wood) I haven't had one of these suckers in a new area for a few years now, and that is an achievement for me!

Anyway I hope that some of my tips help. Finding this board and seeing just how common this problem is has really been an eye-opener for me, and comforting knowing I am not the only one, so thank you.

Oh and the woman who said in a previous post "its just an ingrown hair, stop fussing" well....

I have all of the above, and what some of you seem to be experiencing is called moliscum contagiosum. and by the title you can see its contagious and kind of acts like an STD. it can be caught by a public pool, towel, skin contact, and sex. i have been getting this time and again for about 3 years now. Tips to keep it away: keep your immune system high, immune system vitamins, clean razors when not inflamed. When you are inflamed keep razors away. use a tremor, from walgreens, or something. And same for these boils i have these too. Both of the symptoms i believe can also be side effects from HPV virus so if you’re positive for that you may see these all pop up when your immune system is down. so keep a healthy diet, exercise, and keep and area as clean as possible.
I am not a doctor i just suffer from these bacterial and viral infections.
see a doctor or a naturalist for home remedies.
plus for these little bumps which are actually little warts, for some big warts (moliscum) you can freeze them off with at home kits or go to the dermatologist or gynecologist.
feels like a bee sting but gets them to actually go away after a while. don’t keep freezing them every night. just freeze once, then wait a week, if they haven’t left do it again until.

I have recently developed a rather large bump on the upper part of my vagina.. At first I thought it was a pimple, but I knew it was HUGE. It was hard and i could feel it all the way back into my skin, I tried to pop it, and got out a small amount of puss and blood, but nothing that made much difference. It has now gotten worse and moved across more of my skin. It is terribly painful to walk, sit, lay, move, anything. I have a doctor's appointment in the morning.. I'm hoping they can drain it, maybe give me some antibiotics? I've had an ingrown hair on my arm before, years ago, and my mother thinks this is the same thing. I am 16 and have shaved that region for years, but nothing like this has happened before. I really hope I don't have to discontinue shaving.. I don't think I could handle having hair down there after all this time. =/. Wish me luck! Glad to know I'm not the only one.

I have the same thing it has been going on for yearrsss now... It is so ridiculous how much it hurts! Then it has the ugliiesst scars.Does anyone know what is it exaclyyy??? or what can we do to help???

I was just snooping around the web and found this website. I hate to say this but i am only 14 years old and i have the same problem. I got this big bump on the top of my (you know what) n it got really nasty... i tried to pop it and puss came out but now it's all hard and white..now there another bump coming up i cant see it yet but it's right under my skin. i can tell because when i touch that area i can feel it. and it hurts like i don't know what. when i walk i'm i pain... PLEASE what can i do???

I've had to deal with this crazy skin condition since i was 13 years old.. Its horrible because it leaves you with scars and when you get a new one you already know you will be having a terrible few days ahead of you. The good news is that if the inflammation is by your panty line it may not be hidradentis suppurativa. Usually with that condition you would see the same boils on your under arms, inner thighs, on your lower stomach, under your breast, and even in the crack of your butt. It is very very painful and can be a very emotional condition. Although there is treatment so that you dont get as many there isnt a cure out yet...... If you only get one big VERY painful boil in your crotch area is called an abcess..The good news is that although very painful if you go to the doctors office they can put this bubble thing in it which will cause it to drain compleatly...The bad news is that it will be in there for like 3 weeks so your sex life will be nonexsistent for that time..But once its out it will NOT come back. As painful as it is, just popping it will not help because it will most likely come back so if you do have one of these please go to the Dr.'s office, its worth it.. If you think you have Hidradentis Suppurative i feel for you. Im now 21 years old and 35% of my body is scarred by this.. My only hope is turning 40 ASAP! The dermantologist said it will get better with age..I hope so.. GOOD LUCK!

:-( I thought that I was the only one I've been dealing with these bumps since I was about 12 now at almost 29 they have become big and pain full to my inner thighs :'( and Now under my breast often in the same area Big painful smelly puss and blood filled bumps ,And I do pop ALL of THEM because I can"t stand the walking funny or the pain of sitting on them but after I pop them I then shower and clean the area with alcohol and then apply BIKNI ZONE(for razor bumps) to the area and that really helps ,I don't know what else to do ,as a teenager I thougt it was an STD but when I saw the doctor he told me I just have really curly hair and that these where just IN GROWN HAIRS put me on medication it cleared it up for awhile but thet didn't stay away .I NAIR as much as I can but some hair I just can't remove I don't shave inner thighs anymore for it can make matter worse. If there is a long time cure then some ONE HELP cause I hate having to Hide them when my significate other wants to get down :$ cause I don't want to have to deal with the questions when he see them between my thighs and under my butt and close to my vagina or deal with the look I once got from an Ex who saw them once.

I'm only fifteen years old and i thought i had something wrong with me. i didnt want to go to my mom though, thats so awkward. and same with my doctor. mine aren't as big and painful as a lot of people are describing, mine aree just kind of smalller. I dont really know what to do? I have to shave down there because im a teenager, like come on! ew, guys would be disgusted. I dont know what to do because i have no idea if its serious or not? ahhhh

Wow, after reading all of this, I finally know I am not the only one with this problem. Since I pretty much hit puberty I have been developing these cyst/boil like bumps near my rectum mainly on my inner butt cheeks, they are disgusting and painful! They usually pop on there own and they leave the worst scars. They are always filled with puss/blood. I never knew what to do. My gyno always said they were either boils or MRSA, how someone has MRSA for several years I do not know, I always thought that was a staph infection and usually had to be treated immediately, but anyway they never really did educate me on how to prevent/treat them. I typically get one every 3-6 months. On my own, I have found that hydro-cortizone worked pretty well. It sort of brings everything to the surface of the boil/cyst and allows it to pop on its own. Even when its popped and seems gone I still apply it on there to help heal it shut. Also, the cortizone helps with ingrown hairs too. Atleast it works for me anyway. I get ingrown hairs on the sides of my vagina in the creases near my inner thighs. They never really got too big, but they have gotten extremely painful to the point where I feel pain all throughout the inside of my thigh. I am to the point where I cant deal with it anymore but if I dont shave I get irritated/itchy down there. Another issue I have is razor burn, the little red bumps all over mainly the top parts of my vaginal area. A solution I have discovered is using baby oil on the area right after you get done shaving. It seems to help prevent the razor burn. But again I also have used the cortizone in that area after shaving as well to help prevent the razor burn. I never had any issues with the cortizone and its always seemed to help a little bit. Hopefully that is useful for some of you. Any other suggestions of over the counter treatment please let me know. Thanks...

I have one on the outer lip of my vagina. Puss came out of it and I haven't had any sexual contact in over a year so I know it's not an STD. It's swollen and very painful. I'm slightly embarrassed because I have to go to the gynecologist tomorrow for a routine check-up. :-(

I have only three of these things two on my left thy and one on the side of my vagina the two together are really small but the other one is a bit bigger I had the same thing like 2 years ago and it's bugging me is there any way this could be herpes? And I poped one and it just really hurts it didn't ooze it just bleed. Hm

I asked my doctor about this earlier this year after having had these things since I was about 14. I used to get really big ones, but for the past couple of years its just been some smaller recurring ones.
She confirmed that it was just ingrown hairs, but wasn't really helpful besides that. She said to use a loofah in the area daily and to apply savlon cream after showering, but that some people are just prone to them and there's no easy fix.
I've been doing this for a few months now, and I still get them! I've tried hot compresses but some of the hairs are just too deep! I also have mild face/back/chest acne problems which no prescribed medication has been able to fix, so my theory (or hope) is that they'll die down as I get older.

I guess we all know that what we should be doing is not shaving/waxing/plucking the area and eating more fresh foods.
I'm gonna give this a go and see how it turns out for me! I've also just bought one of those ridiculously expensive anti-ingrown hair lotions and am hoping that will do something.

The spots don't really bother me anymore. My main concerns are:
1. that these ingrown hairs must be getting pretty long by now, and it can't be healthy for them to stay where they are!; and
2. I'm worried about scarring and that it's just not the kind of thing that you want to have to sit down and explain to a guy in the heat of the moment!

**by the by...genetics will make it so you n u mom will have the same skin types that lead to the same skin problems, but the is no "pimple" marker in your geetic code.

I'd look into MRSA.

i get them too little pea like lumps under the skin they do hurt i just pop mine seems to be whenever i shave the area but has only started in last year since ive had contraceptive implant in mine clear up after ive popped them of course i clean them with antiseptic after which speeds up healing but they are painful im going to try hair removal cream next time as apposed to shaving as i honestly think for me in my case any way that its when i shave a day or so later these sore hard lumps appear

All i know is mine dont occur in same place twice and havnt spread anywhere after ive popped it and while erm having alone time with bf if ya catch my drift ive never passed it or one of them onto him its not a std as ive been checked for clamidia and always use precautions so i know im fine that way but good to know im not alone on this! Thanks girls your advice has made me feel a LOT better about what im going through every time i shave down there and know its happening to others whether you shave or not

Ps: ive never been to my dr about it as i feel i deal with it ok and i have some medical knowledge as job i want and degree is health based! But if it gets any worse i will go xx