hi there,

i have the same problem. Was told it was possible acid reflux but I dont notice a change with times i eat or not. Its always there, and im always struggling to dislodge this thick mucus (sometimes even harder than what is in my nose).

Found i had some allergies, been doing the shots for over a year, not much of a change (only noticed on breathing easier).

Went back to ENT did a CT Scan, and now next week doing a Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery. Hope this solved the problem! I will update on how this affects me.

Btw, for the last 3 years, other ENTs I went to said its not my sinuses. This one was recommended highly by a friend and hope he is right...

We use mucinex which helps alot

I have has the same problem with mucous for the past 10 months. After a lot of discomfort and doctors who can't suggest anything except sinus spray for allergies, I found myself paying $250 to see a Naturopath.
She diagnosed me with a candida infection and suggested I had a weak immune system. She has given me a (vial tasting) herbal remedy to drink daily and adjusted my diet.
I have since spent a lot of time reading up on this and I am certain she is right. It hasn't even been a week yet since I visited her, so I cant tell you how it is going, but i can suggest you all see a naturopath too, they aren't all as expensive as mine.
And also read some of these articles and see if you can relate to the symptoms.
I have noticed an increase in candida infections, PMS, lethargy and I know my diet hasn't been receiving enough antioxidants.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Has anyone considered the possibility of a gluten allergy or sensitivity? I know food allergies can cause this as I too suffer the symptoms. I have not found the cause of mine but all of my physicians are leaning toward a food allergy of sorts.

My initial problem was really severe acute tonsilitis which came out of the blue in February 2010. That evolved into a persistant cough after about 2-3 weeks which lasted until July, and that in turn evolved into the mucus thing which has so far lasted 6 months. So whereas the main talk here is of allergies with me it would seem to have been caused by the really bad tonsilitis last year via the cough - I can't believe all three are not connected. By the way I also had a nasty bout of conjuctivitis in August 2009 and I wonder if that too is linked (adenovirus maybe?)

My 17 year old daughter has also experienced a lot of mucous. Recently, she was diagnosed with celiac disease and when she went on the gluten free diet, the mucous started to decrease substantially. If she eats something with gluten, the mucous comes back. Celiac disease, affects people differently, some have it and it doesn't even give them digestive problems. But if you have this mucous, and irritable bowel syndrome, joint pain, mucousy stools, lactose intolerant (sometimes) then consider getting the blood test that screens for celiac. If your (pardon the graphic detail) stool looks more like mounds rather than logs then be very suspicious. So far I have tested positive and so have two of my kids. The way we got diagnosed was that someone saw it on Dr. Oz and told me that they thought of me when they watched the show. I checked it out and went to the Dr. to ask for the test. She was dumbfounded when it came back positive. Then I asked that my kids be tested and two of them tested positive. Although I had seen the doctor for various symptoms, she never looked at them as a whole. I have read that there may be links between Candida and celiac and I have read that there are links between candida and mucous in the throat...I can't help wondering if there might be a connection.

Well i am glad to know i'm not the only one having problems! some nights i get woken up feeling like i can't even breath and it feels like i'm suffocating! I did get a suggested theory from the doctors once. I am a twin and they say that it happens in multiple births where there is this gland that should move down into your collar bone area but if it doesn't it can cause a second nasal cavity to form which can cause mucus to drain directly into the lungs. I came upon this knowledge when a large lump swelled under my chin and the doctors examined it and said the most they could do short doing costly x-rays would be to put me on antibiotics and if the swelling went away then it was indeed the gland theory they had suggested. the swelling went away almost immediately after starting the medicine and after two months of dealing with it I was finally lump free. I do not know if this may or may not apply to anyone else but this was what I found out.

Take 600 mg of time released (Jarrow brand is good) N-A-C twice a day. N-A-C thins the mucous and allows it to pass through your body as well as detoxes the system (safe enough they even use it as emergency treatment in infants with tylenol overdose). Take KAL brand S.O.D 3 (I take 1 pill 3 times a day). This is a very powerful antioxidant enzyme that scavenges toxins from the body and has been the best in fighting the most stubborn allergies. I also added 50mg of zinc twice a day but check with your doc because too much zinc can throw your copper balance off. I have suffered from chronic mucous since I was about 7 years old and am now 29. I tried everything from candida cleanses to homeopathic allergy meds to allergy prescriptions and antacid products and have been through the same diagnosis as most of you... I hope this helps someone... I started this protocol 3 days ago and haven't breathed this freely since... probably I was 7. :-)

to find all u people with  VERY similar complaints as me made me feel better for about a second or 2... i have the mucus in the throat making me gag.. especially in the morning.. i also have chronic gastritis  which is making me nauseaus.. and a low grade fever lately... i am tired of living like this... this is no life what so ever... thinking of checking into a hospital.. i bounce from doctor to doctor.. i have other complications like CFS....i had to quit my job.. i'm a 52 year old male.. i pray for an answer for all of us

It's almost refreshing to see people with the same problem, or it would be if I weren't so upset over the mucous in my throat. It hasn't been as long for me, only over two months, but before this I was the model of perfect health. I've had about two minor colds in the past 5 years or so, and otherwise haven't gotten sick AT ALL. I've always had "environmental allergies", meaning that every time spring came around I started sniffling, but that was about it, and an anti-histimine every few days usually cleared it up fine (although not Benadryl/diphenhydramine, which dries out my nose so badly I get a bloody nose). Point is, this is VERY unusual for me.

I'm 23 years old, male, and CRAZY distressed over this issue. I'm currently living in a relatively urban area near Los Angeles. However, I ocassionally visit my parents who live in a more rural area in San Diego County and stay a few days. Two months ago or so (Mother's Day weekend 2011), I had by far the WORST allergy attack I've ever had. I was having trouble breathing, which has never happened before. After lot's of medicine, the symptoms went away. The next day I came back up to LA. about a day or two after that I started feeling mucous in my throat. It has continued for the past two months, regardless of whatever it is I do. I've made sure everything is clean, there's no dust, I stay indoors most of the time, take a shower and brush my teeth regularly. I've taken cough drops (with and without benzocaine), cough syrup, three different types of antihistamines (generic Zyrtec, chlorpheniramine, and then Allegra), Sudafed, expectorants, Veramyst nasal spray for three weeks (against my better judgment - I rebounded when I stopped), Prilosec (just in case it was acid related, but it really doesn't seem like it), zinc, and vitamins. I've been using a Neti-Pot regularly, and gargling with saltwater (I've also tried gargling apple cider vinegar and Listerine).

I've seen two doctors, both of which looked at my throat and immediately said, "Yup, that's post nasal drip alright." Then they gave me the meds (antihistamines, Sudafed, nasal spray, etc.), that have so far done nothing. I'm currently at my wits end (I'm not a very patient person when it comes to my health, I'm NOT waiting for this to take years). I'm currently exploring the possibility that it's a food allergy that I recently developed, and have started a diet consisting of rice and water. I salt the rice to make sure I get SOME electrolytes, and I'm taking a multivitamin, Sudafed, Allegra, an expectorant, and zinc just in case. I also read that cod liver oil is supposed to help, but I can't find any in capsule form. So far I've done four days of this diet and the symptoms haven't changed. At the end of a week, I'm going to be convinced that whatever is going on isn't food related.

Any ideas other than what I've tried?

Natural foods are always the way to go.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** 

Try sipping some hot tea along with your meal.  It will relax your throat and esophagus and allow food to go down....even if food gets stuck.  This works for my husband who has the same issue.  What would be better is to find out how to get rid of the mucus so nothing gets stuck in it.  That's why I am ready these posts.  Good luck.

My mother of 63 years and my sister of 45 has the same problem. Can't seem to find anything to make it stop.

I have the same problem as many others on this blog.  I have found a way to at least treat the symptoms, if not prevent the problem.  I use a Neti Pot (do a search on Google) together with a tablespoon of tabasco sauce.  I first swallow the tablespoon of tabasco which opens everthing up.  I immediately follow this by doing a Neti Pot with as warm a water as tolerable.  In this way I find I spit out a shocking amount of mucus but feel tremendously better afterwards. 

I do this 2 or 3 times a week, it seems to have restored my life pretty much to normal.  In particular I find I sleep much better, I realized that all the "glue" inside me was giving me a mild form of sleep apnea, which was making me depressed.  I'm still trying to understand what causes the original problem but at least this keeps me going in the mean time.  By the way if you start my steps by breathing through a Vick's inhaler from the drugstore, the whole thing works even better.

Vitamin D 5000iu, stop mines from over 10 years. Try it!!!