I am going to be wearing a dark pink velvet dress that is open at the back for the New Year, and would love some makeup tips to go along with it! To sparkle or not, that is one of the questions. Also lipstick. Matte vs gloss, and colors. And everything else actually.

I still have some time to decide, so I was hoping I could get inspiration from other people. What are your fave holiday makeup tips? What are your don'ts, what are equally important? I want to look classy, I want to look glamorous too. How to find the right look?

My resident approach to makeup, holiday or otherwise, is: do whatever the &^% you like. Do your makeup for YOU, not for other people. So if you want to look like a Christmas tree for Christmas, go for it, and if you want to wear no makeup at all, go for it too. I personally don't usually do sparkles so when the holiday season rolls around and those nice gift sets appear in the stores, I usually get something that I really like but that really isn't what I'd wear year round. Since it will probably pass its use by date before I use it all up, you bet that I am going to make the most of it during the holidays!

I haven't got anything for this year yet actually. I was looking at some of the MAC Nutcracker sets which I will probably post about later because they deserve a topic of their own.

Maybe some slightly glittery paint for the happy holidays? That always makes you look extremely festive, and besides, when else are you gonna put glitter on yourself? It's OK to go overboard during this of year.

For the new year, I am going to wear a pant suit with silvery glittery bits, and I am actually going to wear firework looking earrings, because I am crazy like that. I don't usually go overboard with the makeup but I guess I'll put BB cream, some blush, and some silvery eyeshadow as well just to play the game. And I'll wear a nice lip gloss. I'm going for a kind of crazy retro robot look. But that's just me.

I am going for a bold purple creamy lip, and that will be the focal point so I'll keep the rest of my look subdued with just a neutral eyeshadow and some gentle eye pencil. Eyebrows as usual, of course. A barely there blush. I saw that look in Solange and really like it but of course, you need to do what makes you feel absolutely fantastic. There are so many options to choose from! From nude to all-out, everything looks good as long as you put thought into it and it goes with your dress and your personality.

OK, not a holiday as such, but I'm attending my cousin's wedding in two weeks' time and will need to decide what makeup to wear for that. It's so hard. I want to look nice and celebratory, but by no means want to outside the bride!!! I will be wearing a pale pink skirt suit and the makeup I'll be wearing also needs to match that. It has been absolute ages since I have been to a wedding, and I am really pretty lost here.

Girls who've been to weddings recently or have wisdom on offer, could you tell me what makeup I should be wearing on her big day?

Oooh, a wedding! Always exciting!

I think a traditional elegant style of makeup would work best here. You could match your shade of eyeshadow to the shade of your outfit and have lip gloss a shade lighter. Use a light pink blush as well, some eyeliner, discrete, if you feel like it, and some highlighter, which always looks celebratory. I would leave it at that. Nobody will care much what you are wearing or what makeup you use if you do not draw attention to it by going overboard. In the pictures later on, you will want to look stylish and simple... stylishly simple.