Two different times I've gone on Zoloft regimens and smoked marijuana. The first time (50 mg Zoloft) I noticed heightened stimulation greater than when I smoked previously (racing heart, ringing ears, racing thoughts, etc.), but I continued combining the two (what can I say, loved/love pot) and the adverse reactions subsided, and I got stoned just like normal. ALSO, came out of the deepest depression I've ever been in, proving the doctors and many others wrong (all who said Zoloft would be ineffective if I continued to smoke). Can say it'll work for everyone, but hey.

The second regimen was 100 mg Zoloft and was very recent. I had already been smoke-free for about 2.5 weeks for other reasons, and planned to be indefinitely. I had already been having major side effects from the Zoloft (which I had never had before), but when they began to subside, I decided to join a friend for one last smoke. Well, it was very good pot, and that increased stimulation I felt before was much worse this time (not necessarily bad or negative in itself though), and I started worrying about my racing heart, knowing full well that worrying about my heart in this type of situation could bring on a panic attack, and it almost did. However, utilizing skills learned previously to deal with panic attacks, I was able to take regain control of my thoughs and ward off panic. I imagine if I had smoke a couple more times I would have stopped having this reaction...but I'm cleaning up, so I haven't smoked again.

Anyway, it seems in my personal experience and every single report I've read about mixing Zoloft and pot has no real medical repercussions a majority of the time besides possible panic attacks, and MAY inhibit treatment (though didn't with me). Also, it is EXTREMELY rare (no matter what you THINK your heart is doing or how fast it is racing) that any actual medical crisis results from a panic attack, cardiovascular or otherwise. A racing or even palpitating (fluttering or irregular rhythm) heart is generally not dangerous unless the experience is very prolonged or there is an underlying condition.

Iv smoked pot every day for years, started taking zoloft for a year, no problems at all, I have also drank and I think I might have done E once as well, no problems I was fine. Some people just get themselves so psyched out that they just have a panic attack and they think that the current situation is a lot worse then it really is. Thats why some people can't handle mushrooms, they just don't have the will power to tell themselves its alright, you have ingested something, it will get better. Although I have called an ambulance for a friend when he had a bad trip.

Anyways, my advice, if your scared dont do it. Its that simple, if you know you will be fine, then you will. Dont forget its just pot. My doctor asked if I was on any drugs when he prescribed the zoloft, I told him I smoke pot and then he asked if I did any real drugs. But maybe its just a little layed back in BC, canada.

Good luck

* Iv also noticed, after stopping zoloft for a while and deciding to start again, it has the ability to almost "jumpstart" your brain when I smoke pot, you get baked and happy and you just start feelin better, and you understand, its not the zoloft, its not the pot, you realize that if you wanna be happy, just be happy. Its that simple

I have been a pot smoker for 8 years used to get alot of anxiety/paranoia when I would somke and was was going through my deppression but now with zoloft for 8 months the paranoia and anxiety is gone. I still vaporize to sleep. It has always helped with insomnia. Now I am sleeping like a baby.

mixing zoloft with marijuanna isn't always a bad thing. deffinately do not say don't mix. You have to understand that for everyone it's different, just try a little at a time, or a puff at a time, and if you start reacting bad to it then stop, if it's going good then keep going, but don't over smoke. When I drink alcohol, my friends seem to get drunk quicker than I do, so I don't know if the whole alcohol thing is true. I've been taking Zoloft for about 2 years now. And I'm 17. So my body may react differently and obviously it's not a good idea to smoke, since it's illegal or probably drink since it's not healthy for you and mixing with medications, but try it, you might feel better, who knows, everyone is different.

recently i mixed marijuanna and zoloft for the second time and it to made me have severe anxiety attacks my heart rate was over 200.I was very confused my mouth was completly dry.I was having convulsions and could not control my motor skills.Both times i was rushed to the er once in an ambulance. The first time i could have died from cardiac arrest. Never EVER EVER mix zoloft and marijuanna

I smoked on and off for about six months before starting Zoloft. During my pre-zoloft highs I would get panic attacks and the shaky twitches. But after having started zolotf my twitches have gone away and I have only had one panic attack.

My advice to anyone wanting to mix the two drugs is this:

1) take it easy at first. Dont smoke in excess until you know what it is going to do.
2) Until you are sure you are not going to panic, stay in a place you feel completely comfortable smoking in. If you are uneasy while your sober, your going to get paranoid when your high.

Thats the best adive I have, but it had worked wonders for me.

I've been on zoloft for nearly a year now. I smoked some marijuana a month ago and i was quite calm. However yesterday smoke hydro-marijuana and i totally flipped out. 6 hours of the worst paranoia i have ever experienced. I thought my heart was going to rupture. I recommend you take it easy if mixing the two. I definitely won't be doing it again anytime soon.

I just wanted to say thank you for asking this question bc I am on Zoloft, and I never even thought of it having an adverse reaction. From now on I will think twice before doing stupid sh*t

i took zoloft for a long time, smoked alot, i mean alot of weed, hydro, everything, I live in BC, lol, anyway I was always fine. I wouldnt worry about it, you gotta remember, paranoina is in your head, and most people who blaze and get paranoid are just being dumb and over worrying about nothing, it is just pot, chances are its not gonna kill you, at worst you might get the munchies.

Also after taking zoloft for about a year with somewhat decent result I recently switched to celexia for depression and anxiety, it seems alot better, cleaner than the generic zoloft. But everyone is different, just be honest with your doctor and find something that works for you.

Good luck, happy toking

stubby2211 ....... ... when I read your comment I almost fell out my seat... we all do stupid sh*t LOL thanks for telling the truth and if more people told the truth I prolly wouldn’t feel like a fool and confused and depressed …im new to zoloft .. so new I haven’t taken it yet... im scared.. I smoke too much I have to I will really lose my damn mind if I don’t

i've been a constant smoker since about 14 and recently, ten years later, i began having panic attacks. i had two really horrible ones. i had no idea what was happening to me. a friend told me it was an anxiety attack, or "panic attack" so i chilled from smoking for a while and saw a doctor because i did NOT want those horrible things to keep happening.

so she put me on a low dose of zoloft. i quit smoking for 2 months.

i liked the zoloft because it made me feel normal. i felt at ease which wasnt usually going on but i was happy about it. i began smoking again very gradually and i could feel the tension coming back, my anxiety level was up again.

i think there's something kind of amazing about being able to dissect the way you think and feel and know what kinds of reactions you're going to get from taking pills and smoking weed and drinking beer and so on.

i've accepted that i dont want to stop smoking, almost cant because it's so embedded into my lifestyle, but i dont like the anxious paranoia.

so i'm aware of whats going on, i know the way i'm feeling is because i'm a very anxious person, so is my mom and my grandmom, but that is who i am and it helps to accept that.

i'm just saying, you have to do what you want to do and understand how things affect you and make you feel. if you know that you get paranoid from smoking and you're on zoloft to help anxiety, than you will most likely get a bit tense when you mix the two.

everyone is unique so stop trying to figure out what to do because of something someone else thinks. take what you know and do what you want, but keep sharing these stories so you can be sure that you're not the only one who feels this way.

I have been on Zoloft for a year and a half. I smoked weed occationally before being put on Zoloft, but not enough to completely understand weed. This was my senior year of high school. When I entered college, in a new city, weed, and good weed at that, was much more attainable, so I kind of became a pot head, smoking at least 4 bowls a day, everyday. I never noticed anything bad happen. Although I didnt smoke much before being put on Zoloft, so I guess I wouldnt really be able to make a distinction between being on Zoloft with weed and just weed. :-)

Never have I had a bad experience with weed. Just chill out, smoke a bowl, and enjoy it. XD

This is my experience with marijauna and zoloft.......

A friend told me that I should make some candy out of pot butter one day and that it would be good for my panic attacks........OMG! I thought I was going to die !! I ate the candy and about 2 hours later I started to have a racing heart and dry mouth like you would'nt beleive I was sweating cold, hot, disoriented and freaked out to the max! I had no muscel control and shook like never before.....I thought this was the end of my life! I called 911 and they came out and checked me but did'nt take me to the hospital they told me it would ware off in about 5 hours or so..... I was so scared after that horrible experience.. I tryed to help some friends make hash and had a bad reaction again. Now I know that in the past I have smoked with friends and had a good reation before I was on zoloft. I think that there is a definate reaction between zoloft and marijauna and its not a good one.... Doctors and counselors should study more about the effects of these drugs so people can make conscience decisions with out feeling ashamed. I know that the reactions I had were sever and scary and that had I know before about the interations I would have made a better choice for myself. I also had vommited non-stop for about 30 minutes and felt like my breathing was suffering. Thank you God for helping me through that horrible experience.

I agree that taking Zoloft and using Marijuana is a bad deal...I had a friend have a panic attack after smoking...I smoked while on Wellbrutin and had a panic attack. It's a bad deal all the way around. Pot by itself can be a nice thing...just don't mix! IMO it's far better than drinking....but I don't suggest anyone smoke while on antidepressants.

i love smoking some herb a couple hours after the zoloft kicks in... it minuses the side effects of zoloft A LOT and also sets off an energetic high... what's not to love?