Hi there I have had the same problem a few weeks ago. and just thought I would put some of my sons hydrocortisone cream on the fingers during the day and before bedtime, and now they are clear....so u could try this yourself and hopefully it works for you too.

Hi, I have has this issue for about a year now - it is always the fingers or thumbs and it is cyclic. I have psoriatic arthritis, psoriasis, and seborrheic dermatitis. My dermatologist presecribed Betamethasone Diproprionate Cream and it helps, although, it takes a few days. You can only use it ever 10 days out of 3 weeks or something like that because it is steroid based, but it helps. I think it most important, though, to get a diagnosis.

I've had this problem for 15 - 20 years and have been treated by an allergist, dermatologist and family practitioner, as well as consulting with two pharmacists. I've tried prescription creams/ointments and numerous over the counter products. I saw a dermatologist on the Dr. Oz show recently recommending Aquaphor by Eucerin and have been using it for about three days. The Aquaphor seems to be helping more than anything I've used thus far. It is an ointment so you use only a small amount and massage it in really well several times a day...especially at bedtime and after having hands in water. I now have several tubes in my bathrooms and handbag...plan to keep some in my car and overnight bag so that I'm never without it. I first thought the peeling was related to cold weather because mine would start in the fall when the weather started getting cooler and would clear up in spring/summer as the weather got warm again but eventually became a problem year round. I also wonder if it has something to do with dehydration as I notice that it gets better when I can drink lots of water all day.

I use this but with the same symptoms on my feet. my feet are getting better, hmm maybe I should use it on my hands. My hands keep doing the same thing but I've been using fluconzale cream.. maybe it would work better. My derm said it was ezcema but also warts. Not normal looking warts but a weird type.

I've developed this problem last  winter and it has been progressively getting worse.   I had it on just left thumb.  Its tip would develop extra layer of skin, sometimes 2 or 3 layers, and it would become very hard.  And peel.  Underneath the pealed layer always revealed soft skin, but it wasn't still normal.  The soft skin layer had no fingerprint, and felt too thin.

Also, the growth part of the fingernail was longer than my that of my healthy thumb.  So it looked like I didn't trim my thumb nail... which made my hand look unkempt to coworkers. :-(  There was also some dark yellow discoloration between the growth tip region and the pink region.

After reading through some message boards, including this one, I figured the the underlying cause may be fungal infection, even though the nail looked ok for the most part, aside from the aforementioned slighty discoloration in small spot.

So I went to supermarket to pick up Lamisil, but then I saw a product called "FungiCURE" in a bottle.  I picked it up, and started applying it as directed.  For weeks, I saw absolutely no improvement.  But I kept at it.  I'm happy to say, it's starting to get better now.  The hard shell from the tip is softening up.  And it's peeling less.

Maybe it's getting better due to warmer and moist weather... but I think the product is helping.

I know this problem is really irritating, and I wanted to share this with everyone who exhibit similar conditions and are out of options.  Try it for a few months.  It doesn't take that much effort and it was $7 at shoprite.  10 seconds to apply in the morning, 10 seconds to apply at night.

I'll come back with another post if things don't improve.

I have had cracked and peeling fingers for over one year now.  I searched the internet and found little help regarding this.  I finally discovered that I have multiple allergies.  I went to Tufts New England Medical Center for patch testing.  They tested me for 127 skin allergens.  The results came back with multiple positive.  I am allergic to most soaps, lotions and shampoos due to sensitivity to preservatives like formaldehyde, iodopropynyl, dimethylamine and cocamidopropyl to name a few.  When I went back for a follow up , I was instructed to bring in all my products.  The doctor read the ingredient labels and found that most of them, I could no longer use.  However,  the hospital uses a database called "card" set up through the Mayo Clinic to guide people with allergies.  It contains most products on the market and their ingredients.  Tufts created an account for me and this database gave a listing of all the products considered safe for me to use.   I changed my soap, my shampoos, my makeup and I now carry around my own hand soap.Changing my skin products was helpful but did not completely clear up the skin.  The next step was to address my diet because I was also allergic to potassium chromate and balsam of Peru.  Chromate is found in foods like wine, beer, apples, potatoes and chocolate and balsam of Peru is found in spices like cinnamon and nutmeg and flavorings like vanilla and extracts as well as the foods that call for them.  I have been instructed to avoid these foods for a month to seek improvement.  Within two days, the cracking and peeling has dissipated and my fingers are almost normal.  This has been a difficult diet to stick to but given the choice of painful fingers and eating certain foods, I was ready to try almost anything.  After a month, I can try to add back in the foods I have been avoiding, one at a time and watch for reactions.  There is a chance that only a few food items are causing my allergy.  I hope that my story is helpful to others out there.  Go and get allergy tested and make sure you go to a major hospital as smaller dermatologist offices will not test for as many allergens. When I was searching the internet for a cure for this, I found nothing.  If you found my post because you were looking for a solution, I wish you luck!

Yes, there is hope.  I tried several different creams and lotions, but last evening I bought Cortizone 10 INTENSIVE HEALING FORMULA, put it on, went to bed and Voila, all gone this morning.  I swear this is true.  Only a faint trace of the peeling remains.  Just hoping it doesn't come back again!  I advise all of you to try this amazing cream.

This is Suzie again. I might have spoke a little too soon in previous post. I said the peeling was healed this a.m. after using Cortizone 10 Intensive Healing Formula - it was, but as the day wore on the peeling started to peel again, but not nearly as much as it was. So, yes the cream helps tremendously, but has not healed it overnight. I will continue to use it for I think it has the possibility of healing completely in the coming days. At least you could try it for yourself and see the quick results, just as I did.

I have been having the same problem for exactly 30 years this past March. I used to work in a University's food service kitchen washing dishes and I used a pair of gloves that somebody else used. I suspect that is when it started. First, I noticed it on my left hand thumb and middle finger. It was real hard and felt like I burned it by touching a hot stove or something because I also used to help with cooking. The skin was real dry and hard for a week or so, then it started to peel. The next layer of skin cracked and it hurt and it started bleeding. I could not touch hot water. Later, I started getting it on other fingers on both hands. I saw a dermatologist and she prescribed dydrocortosone which did not help at all. I also saw another dermatologist who was quite famous in the area. He said that it was a reaction to fungus problem I had in my feet and he told me to keep my feet clean and dry. He even said I should change soaks twice a day. It helped somehow. After some years a PA (Physician Assistant) to my doctor noticed it and she said it was just a dry skin and I should keep using lotion on my hands. I started using different kinds of lotions all this years and it helps me for a while but I keep on getting it back. There are times I don't have the problem for months. It is really frustrating!

HELP!

I too suffered from this very unpleasant malady with my index finger tip always feeling like it had been dipped in super glue and left to dry. The skin would start to peel, and as I type about ten hours a day, the hard dry skin made the task very unpleasant. I remembered that in my youth, my father, who worked in the hay fields always came home with his hands tore up, and he used a hand lotion called Corn Huskers Lotion.

I went on line and found the product and I am nearly cured. I pour one drop of the lotion in cap of the bottle and just whirl my finger tip in many times a day. The skin has softened and I can honestly say, in the words of Hank Snow, "I don't hurt any more.":-)

Have you considered something as simple as dehydration? I had the same problem - all of a sudden, out of the blue, so I did a little research, and 9 out of 10 articles I read included dehydration as a possible cause. Try drinking more fluids - doesn't have to be plain water - I add some elderflower cordial to add a little flavour, but it seems to be working for me - so far.

I replied to one post on here, but after reading many others would like to ask if any of the people making these posts have tried my suggestion of hydration - simply drink more!!  Not necessarily plain water - not bottled water.  I was born, bred, educated in the UK, then lived in Africa for almost 40 years with no problems whatsoever - go on, say it - I'm waiting - age!!  wrong!!  I had no problems - suddenly develop dry fingertips and after researching found that several articles suggested dehydration as a cause, which made a certain amount of sense.  Since returning to the UK my fluid intake has reduced - it's not as hot, so therefore I don't drink as much - BUT - my body is used to a certain amount of fluid - regardless of expiration etc, and it's not getting what it needs - our needs lessen as we age - so simple, yet so overlooked - water is the cure - try it, it doesn't cost, and it doesn't hurt.  (not bottled water though - some of it contains additives).  Good luck.

I would just like to say that I drink about 8 of the 16.9 oz bottles of water every day (and have been since lasts February) and it hasn't helped one bit. I think that the cause is from within. Maybe thyroid or something and I believe that it might not necessarily be the same problem for all of us, just because the symptoms are the same. I have tried every cream on the market. I have soaked them in vinegar and water. I have been to three different dermatologists and used the strongest steroid cream. I have slept with cotton gloves on and every other kind of glove there is and my hands get a little better and the worse. There can be a dramatic change from one day to the next, from so painful that I cry to almost feeling like this nightmare is over and back to unbearable pain all in a 24 hr. period. I think a blood test is the best advice I have heard so far.

Oh and it's not bottled water that you buy at the store. I have an r/o at my house that I fill the bottles with.

It just means you need to drink more water (: