Ladies,
I have had a struggle for over a year now being diagnosed with what is endo. However, being in the health care field and having seen multiple doctors and having doctors and obgyns in the family please pay close attention. Not only did my newest and best to this point doctor tell me that being pregnant CAN indeed suppress the endo just like horomone treatments, it can also help alleviate the symptoms after pregnancy. My doctor also informed me that IF the pain continued through the ENTIRE pregnancy then it may not be in the uterus at all. It may be another issue and we would start checking the bowels and other options for the pain as you should not experience the same or worse pain during pregnancy than you did before with endo. I too experienced a miscarraige quite recently but that seems to have had nothing to do with my endo and more to do with nature. Please if you are experiencing these issues during pregnancy start checking other options for the pain. My new obgyn and my favorite(my mother) have both advised me that getting pregnant should indeed suppress it and not make it worse or nearly as painful. I'm trying desperately now to concieve again and pray it works out, I was terrified at the thought of being pregnant with a child bearing down on my uterus for 9 months with how just a small amount of pressure feels. Cramping during early pregnany can be the sac attaching to the uterus this is common. If the pain continues your whole pregnancy you really should look into other options. I know that when I become pregnant if the pain is worse I will have to start seeing a GI doctor to see if there's any complications in the bowel and so on. Just be careful, and just becaues you have one answer it doesn't mean it's the only one!

Hi
I am a scientist and would like anyone who can to answer me the following questions:please take this seriously. I shall analyse the results.

What stage have you been diagnosed with?
Does your pain wax and wane?
Do you only have pain during your period?
Was there a time when you went into remission?
Have you been operated on more than once?
Did symptoms reoccur?
If so how long after?
Do you have fertility problems?
Are you currently on treatment..if so what and for how long?

My thoughts: take exercise and fish oils (metabolised into anti-inflammatory compounds)
If this works---let me know!
Enroll in studies if you can, this is the only way we can find out more about how to treat this condition.

Dr. G. Canny, Lausanne, Switzerland

I was diagnosed in 2000 via laprascopic surgery with Stage 4. Since then I have had to go to the ER multiple times due to cysts that have burst. The most recent trip Feb 2009 resulted in surgery becuase the doctors thought that my apendix was bad, but what was really happening was a large cyst had burst and the fluid released was toxic to my body and my body was already falling into toxic shock.

For several years I have been a madical marijuana patient and have found that it not only helps with the pain but it also helps me sleep. Since I went through the therapy that puts you into medical menopause I've had night sweats which makes it nearly impossible for me to sleep through the night.

In June I found out I'm pregnant. This was a total shock because not only was I on Depot shot but also took the morning after emergency contraception pill and I know through the pics taken during my surgery that there is substantial damage to my uterus, ovaries, and ligaments.

I had pretty bad morning sickness and after speaking to my doctor and researching the effects of marijuana on the fetus (many studies have proven there are no negative affects which have ben documented throughout the various studies which were conducted at Ivy League schools by reputable nonbiased scientists) I have continued to use medical marijuana for pain relief. It works for me and I would reccommend it to others who are pregnant because the risk to your child are nonexistent unless you smoke 3grams or 6-10 joints per day every day for the duration of your pregnancy.

My biggest issue with my pregnancy is that I'm having braxton hicks contractions only on parts of my uterus which happen to be the areas most affected by Endo. And the farther alnong I get and the bigger my belly gets the more ligament pain I have.

Below are some links to relavent info...

hi, I just wanted to say that reading all of your posts has made me feel assured as i to have endo and have been getting very heavy and painful periods since i started my periods. when i became sexually active i found it was painful and went to my doctor who took some vaginal swabs and said there was nothing wrong and said it was all in my head!! I went on the pill and found this helped with the period pains but when i was 19 i started to get symptoms of severe diarrhea wind and bloating followed by obdominal pains, my doctor then put me on the pill back to back for 3 packs at a time and also gave me a form of painkillers which i took everyday before i went to sleep although these made me very drowsy every day. I had a laporoscopy 2 years ago which confirmed i had endo but the doctors couldnt do anymore for me and i carried on with the current medication I was on, i found meveberine was good for the IBS symptoms. I started eating more healthly and exercising walking half an hour a day and suddenly the IBS symptoms had almost stopped, then 2 weeks later I started getting water infection like symptoms where i was getting cloudy urine and pain when I need to urinate, I also started getting symptoms of thrush which would sting all the time and made sex extremely painful even more so than before, I went to see gyny who examined me and said the reason for the thrush like symptoms is caused by the eastrogen in my pill and referred me to see a uri gyny for the problems with my bladder. I decided to come off the pill and the stinging stopped.
then 4 months after coming off the pill i fell pregnant and found out at 4 weeks pregnant. i went to see the uri gyny who said they cant do anything now iam pregnant and didnt want to disturb the pregnancy and told me to come back after i have had the baby if iam still getting symptoms and suggest i suffer in silence for 9 months!! a week after finding out i was pregnant i started getting these severe cramps which would come and go and also abdominal pains on my left and right lower sides, the doctor sent me for an internal scan and everything was fine thank god as they thought it could of been eptopic. the nurse advised me the pains I am getting are caused by my hormones and i have still have them now 3 weeks later although the cramps have calmed down and iam mostly getting pains when I need to wee and having to get up several times in the night and the pain wakes me up. from what I had heard I thought all the pain would stop after getting pregnant but oh no its made the pain alot worse and iam hoping it will calm down or stop but i also think the pain is worse because recently because I havent been doing much exercise as I have had alot of back pain which is a seperate issue. so for anyone out there with endo I recommened exercise it was by far the best pain relief got me out the house and made me feel and sleep so much better maybe take the dog out for an half an hour walk, try and eat foods that are not gassey like junk food and beans etc and eat fresh meat and veg rarther than processed foods.

hope this is some help.

i have been suffering from endo for 5 years now i was being prepped for a full hysterectomy when the doc came in to tell me i was pregnant what a shock i was also told that after trying to conceive for the last 5 years by many doctors that i could not have any kids much less i was on the depro lupron injections my new ob told me that the symptoms of endo will stop with the pregnancy waiting to do ultrasound in two weeks to make sure is in uterus and not in tubes

I am nineteen years old. I had a miscarriage in June of this year. The pregnancy brought me to the attention that I had something wrong. I later found out that I have endometriosis. The problem with mine is that it is on the tendons that support my uterus. So, as they stretch, I will be in more and more pain. I am really nervous about that. I am already in pain and I am only maybe a month along. I hope that it won't be miserable during the whole pregnancy. I am so worried that something may go wrong... i hope not...

I am almost 26 y.o and i had a laparoscopy on febr 2009 because of endo stage 4.
later on June the doc found out that i got 2 new endo cystes and on october they found the 3rd one.
since that i took several types of contraception pills since many of them caused bleeding.
My gyne said that i probably would have difficulties in gettin pregnant.
but just a week ago i reliazed that im pregnant. its not more than 3 weeks pregnant tho...

i just found out here that lots of women get miscarriage so now Im so afraid bout that.

i will see my gyne in few days but i cant sleep thinking about the possibility of miscariage :-(

Hi, I am a 28yrs old and was diagnosed with Endo and POC about 12years ago. I have had two laproscopy already and was told that I would not be able to have kids. I am now 18 weeks pregnant and :-D about it. I will admit that it hasnt been easy at all.

I am having severer pain bad morning sickness and depression. I havent found a treatment that works for me as yet but I will advise anybody with this disease to have faith. I know its hard but there is hope.

I understand that I am not going to have an easy time but with a great support system you cant go wrong. ;-)

Hi everyone,

I have been reading all your posts and I really appreciate your sharing your advice and experiences. I am 28 years old and have not been able to get pregnant for over a year. I was told by a doctor I might have endometriosis when was around 18 and went to see him due to very painful cramps during my period and heavy bleeding. He prescribed the pill to take continously and that helped. I did that for about 6 months and then went back to taking the pill normally. For many years, while on the pill I still had painful periods but 2 Aleve would work to remove most of the pain. I have not had a laparascopy to confirm endometriosis because I was told it was an invasive procedure with possible complications and may or may not help. I started trying to get pregnant when I turned 27 and got pregnant right away. I was very happy and excited, but also surprised it took me so little time since I was told it could be difficult due to the endometriosis. At 2 months, I miscarried. I had mild to moderate cramps that were ongoing throughout my pregnancy leading up to about 1 and a half months pregnant. I read that other women experienced this and checked with my doctor and they said not to worry, but then I started bleeding at about 6 weeks. It started light and got more heavy as the days progressed. I made an appointment with my gyno. She did an ultrasound and everything looked ok. Then, my cramping one night got extremely severe and my bleeding was very heavy. I had my husband take me to the ER in the middle of the night. They did an ultrasound and noticed a heartbeat but it was very low and I was released being told I had an 80% chance of miscarriage. The next day I miscarried. I went to see the gynecologist after it and she did an exam and said everything looked ok and I should start trying again in 2 months. I did. My periods came back more painful than ever. I've also noticed on some occasions a burning feeling in my vagina after sex. Over a year has gone by without a pregnancy. My periods are bright red and look different than how they used to be, so I wonder if I am miscarrying and don't know it. I have been checking the calendar to see the days that I am ovulating and having sex during them and at other times during each month. I went to see a fertility specialist with my husband recently. He is planning to run some diagnostic tests, but it sounds like he is leaning towards doing IVF. He said at the consultation that they don't perform laparscopies on patients with endometiosis because its expensive and the outcomes are better with IVF. I am wondering if anybody else has been told this. I am skeptical about this because I notice many of you that have posted on here that you've had one or multiple laparoscopies. Could it be that the doctor may prefer IVF because it costs more or is it really better? I don't know. Also, I am skeptical that IVF would be the solution in my case because if I am indeed able to get pregnant and the problem is actually that I am miscarrying, IVF would just solve implantation, not stop me from miscarrying. Related to this, I have a question for those of you who have had laparasocpies, does having the surgery help prevent miscarriage? For example, could endometriosis interefere with your ability to carry a baby to full term? I have been reading from many of you with endometriosis that you've also had miscarriages, so therefore, I am wondering if laparscopic surgery would be helpful in lowering the risk of miscarriage not just improving chances of implantation.

Thanks for your help and I will pray for us all to have healthy babies!

Hi All,

I am 24 and currently 5 weeks pregnant, I had a miscarriage at 10 weeks last Nov. I have been researching and Endo can mean that you have low progesterone levels which can lead to early miscarriage, as progesterone is needed to help the womb lining grow and for the placenta, its easily solved by taking supplements. Many women with Endo have good progesterone levels but its worth getting checked out, especially if you have had miscarriages before.

Any vaginal bleeding that occurs before puberty, during pregnancy, or after menopause is considered abnormal. During the reproductive years, vaginal bleeding is usually from menstrual periods, although various disorders may cause bleeding or abnormal menstrual periods. Typically, menstrual periods last from 3 to 7 days and occur every 21 to 35 days. The interval in adolescents is somewhat more variable and may be as long as 45 days.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Hi for those who are wanting to get pregnant and have endo or pcos,

Not everyone's cases are as severe as what I have read. (Not that Im sure it isn't horrible, but for a more positive point of view) I had laproscopic surgery in Feb for endometriosis and poly cyctic ovaries that i had been fighting for years. I also have PMDD, so i'm used to my hormones being all over the place. My dr told me that I only had an 85% chance of getting pregnant in the next year, but i only had a 10% chance before surgery. I am now 12 weeks pregnant! My first 8 weeks were pretty terrible. I had a lot of constant cramping, but was fortunate not to have any bleeding. The cramping was not anything worse than what I had already been experiencing it was just more constant. So, everyone told me i should feel a lot better being pregnant...Well at 10 weeks i finally started to feel better! Now i feel mostly normal with some occassional cramping. I had my first ultra sound a week ago and now i feel relaxed and more excited.

Well I hope this helps someone to know that it can get better.

Thank you all so much for these posts. I had a very rough pregnancy. This was my 4th child and I never experienced anything like this before. The doctors never knew what was wrong with me. Kept doing alot of ultrasounds but never could tell what it was. I was put on bed rest for 6 months and had so many pains and spotting. Now my baby is 19 months and the same pain during my pregnancy has gotten severe. Come to find out it is endo. And its all over. The pain was so bad I had to go to the ER. I have an appointment coming up in a week to discuss with the ob on what is going to be done to fix this. They stated I should probably go back on the birth control pill but I also learned that ever since I started the pill 15 years ago I have had migraines. And now that I had stopped the pill, the migraines too have stopped. All your posts have helped me to know that I am not crazy and truly know this is what caused my problems during pregnancy and delivery. Delivery was absoulutely the most pain I ever experienced in my life. And one of my children I had completely natural and it wasnt nearly as painful as with this pregnancy having the endo.

hi i was having trouble with my abdomen for 2 years then i feel pregnant and the pain slowly went away but when i was 7 months pregnant the pain cae back what i used was 1 500mg paracetamol every 4 hours a 1 buscopan which hepls relax the tightening of abdominal mucles im 22 and just found out that i have been living with endometriosis since 2008 when they tld me it as a infection i have to have laparoscopy in 2 weeks but try the pills i mentioned for the pain it does help it helped me during pregnancy i hope it helps you too. :-) good luck!!!

I've had several laps and was diagnosed with endo in 2006. Last year I got pregnant after a long time trying and lost the baby at 9 weeks. Amazingly the pain started to diminish around week 8 and I was super exited. The pain came back within a week of misscarrying though. I'm currently pregnant again (20 weeks) and the pain hasn't gone away. It has diminished about 20% overall, but not more.

I've been seeing a pain mangement specialist for the last 4 years and am on Methadone and percocet daily to control the pain. I have been told by several doctors that these drugs are SAFE to take during pregnancy. Yes, the baby will have to be weaned off them once she is deliviered, but it will not give her any long term negative effects. Extensive studying has been done on pregnant women for both of these drugs.

That being said, of course I am trying everything I can to get off these drugs before she is born so that she doesn't HAVE to go through withdrawal. I recently tried acupuncture for the first time but health insurance doesn't cover it so I have to pay out of pocket. It was somewhat helpful. I have tried everything else and NOTHING works.

I have seen doctors from Vanderbilts Endometriosis Research Center in Nashville, Tennessee to Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, Maryland and sadly, the general consensus is that for most, pregnancy DOES give you a break in the pain from endometriosis. HOWEVER, there is a small percentage of women for whom pregnancy does NOT do anything for the pain. Do not let any doctor telll you that pregnancy unequivacably cures endometriosis for the duration!!! This is not true and any OBGYN telling you so is not experienced enough in treating endometriosis to be treating YOU!

My plan is to get a complete hysterectomy as soon as I deliver this baby girl, and adopt any future childen, or use a surrogate mother (we already have one lined up). I simply cannot care for a baby while in this much pain, or while sleepy from the painkillers. I just try to be positive and thank goodness that I don't have some worse disease that would kill me. Hard to do sometimes, when you have pain all day, every day...!

To all you ladies out there who have to deal with this c**p, keep the faith. if your doctor doens't take you seriously, find another one. It's a pain in the butt, but if you get the right healthcare, it's worth it. It took me YEARS to find doctors who understood my condition and I was lucky enough to have a supportive husband throughout the entire ordeal. Keep trucking on, and eventually you will find a doc who knows what they are talking about.

Try Dr Esther Eisenberg at the Vanderbilt Endometriosis Research Center, if she is still there. I saw her in 2008 and she offered me some very good pointers for improving my condition until I could get pregnant. She KNOWS her stuff!!

Good luck!!