I had the ablation procedure done on 01/28/10. This was a procedure that had been recommended by my doc for 2 years prior to me finally agreeing to it. I had a tubal ligation done following the birth of my 3rd child back in 2006 and since that time my periods had been out of control. My periods consisted of changing super plus tampon and pad every 30 minutes, always wearing dark clothes, basically staying home and near a bathroom for the first 3 days of my periods. I was also passing clots the size of softballs accompanied with what felt like labor pains. My doctor put me on a prescription for Provera that I took 10 days a month every month to basically try and curb the frequency of my periods to where I only had them once a month every month instead of every two weeks. The Provera worked for awhile and then despite taking the medication, my periods were getting worse and returning again on a bi-monthly basis or worse. The last period I had before I had the ablation done had lasted for 5 weeks.
In addition to having the ablation, I also had a D&C and hysteroscopy. I had a benign tissue build up in the uterus, and they were able to remove a total of 3 tablespoons of tissue with the D&C. I was able to come home and sleep a few hours after the surgery and then had just minor cramping for the rest of the evening. The next day the cramping was still there but very slight. I was having some spotting/discharge which my doctor told me was normal and that it would change from bright red to yellow to watery and should be gone in about 3-4 weeks all together.
I am now 6 weeks post ablation and have not had a period as of yet or at least I don't think I have. I thought I was going to start my period about 3 weeks ago as I had bloating, swelling and soreness of the breast and just felt like I always had right before my period. I had spotting for one day and that was it. I have not been experiencing any back aches or any of the other symptoms as described in previous posts. I have been able to get back to a normal life. I've been able to go to the gym without worrying about leaking through a pad or tampon and having to make a sudden exit with a sweatshirt tied around my waist. I've been able to leave the house and not worry about how long I can be out before I need to get to a restroom. I've been able to sit through a school program without needing to get up and got to the restroom every 20 minutes to change a pad or tampon. I actually feel free for the first time in a very long time.
The only side effect I think I've had would be tightness and dryness of the vagina. The doctor did tell me that I should wait for intercourse until the discharge had stopped. I did follow that order, however since resuming my sexual activities I've noticed a few changes. The most obvious is the lack of libido, it's still there, just not as strong as it was prior to the procedure and then when in engaging in intercourse there is a slight discomfort accompanied with extreme tightness, almost like I can't relax enough. I don't know if anyone else had a decrease in libido or the tightness, but so far that is the only side effect as of yet.
My doctor did also inform me that ablation does not work for every woman and that if it does work the benefits of the surgery may not last. I could see some changes in the next 2 years or sooner and go back to having the long and heavy periods at which time the next step would be hysterectomy. We chose not to do the hysterectomy because I am only 33 years old and while I was depressed enough over my periods that I wanted everything taken out, the doctor didn't think that would be a good idea without trying the alternative first. Overall I am glad that I did the procedure and am going to enjoy this freedom and take advantage of it...while it lasts anyways!

I had the Novasure procedure done 4 years ago and wish I had never heard of it let alone had it. My periods are worse, I am in severe pain starting 2 days before my period begins and will last the whole 2 weeks of having it. The pain is so bad that it actually feels like someone is stabbing me in the back and lower stomach. When I urinate I cannot fully relieve myself because of the pain. It takes all I got just to get out of a chair or drive a car. My periods are no longer as heavy as they once were but now they are so painful and the color that is coming out is not normal. I would rather have the heavy flow than what I am now going thru. I have twice been hospitalize in the past year over this and am now on pain pills but that does little to relieve the pain.

I had the Novasure procedure one week ago. I had constant bleeding for 5 months and was really tired of it. My doctor suggested this particular type of ablation as opposed to others. He spent a great deal of time with me explaining the procedure, looking at reported risks, alternatives, and benefits. He did web searches for information and wasted lots of paper printing them for me. He responded promptly to email questions I had prior to the procedure and answered all of my questions. Things he was unsure about, he searched for information (I guess I asked things other people didn't). He couldn't guarantee that I would never bleed again because he said always the chance that some of the tissue didn't burn completely and it would build and shed in at those locations. That said, he was very careful and precise and said he got a really good burn; so I'm optimistic that things will heal well and I won't have any problems.

After the surgery he told me to forget everything the discharge nurse had told me - other than the no intercourse for 10 days. His instructions were that I could use tampons if I wanted - that there was no danger in doing so. He said I could return to work and to my normal activities immediately, that I didn't need to limit my exercise - I could jump up and down if I wanted. He said the healing period would last approximately 2-4 weeks, and results would be known more fully in about 4 months. He also said that generally there is no post-op appointment done, but he doesn't discourage one if the woman feels better about it. So, I've scheduled mine 4 weeks out.

In any event, I have followed his advice. I returned to work the following morning, and I have been exercising almost daily and without issue. I have had severe to light cramping, but not constant, and this I believe is probably normal too. I have had no unusual back pain; that said, I have back issues anyway, but so far nothing out of the ordinary has been noticed.

Of course, I am having the watery discharge that I presume is due to the burns and that seems normal to me, though it is heavy (I'm guessing about 1/2 cup per day). I do wish that the discharge didn't also contain blood because it makes me feel that perhaps the bleeding won't stop; but, as I said, I am trying to be optimistic and give it at least up to my post-op appointment before I presume anything. I have used tampons and there aren't any problems with it, but I actually prefer to use extra long maxi pads because I just want whatever has to come out to get out.

At this time, I have to say that I am glad that I made the decision to do this, and even if in the end the bleeding continues and I opt for removal of the uterus, at least I know I attempted to solve the issue through a less invasive alternative.

Its now April 2010 and after being admitted to hospital shortly after posting above, with a heavy bleed for a couple of days,ended up with two weeks off work. things did start to "lighten" up for several periods. Pain has got worse in the last few months and periods are almost as heavy as pre novasure. Just had another scan and I have a 3cm fibroid on the lining of my womb! could this be why? I cannot face another couple of years of heavy bleeds, headaches and pain. Doctor has referred me back to gyno...do I have a right to demand a hysto? You ladies out there who have had the procedure and now enjoy no periods with little discomfort have no idea how lucky you are. :-(

Hi!

I had my Novasure on January 4, 2010. Since then, I've had no periods, no cramping, absolutely no symptoms whatsoever! I've even lost the 15 pounds that I had gained over the past few years (water retention due to extreme periods?) I have my follow-up next week, so I guess that will tell the tale as to if this is what I can expect for long term results. So far, if I stay this way, I am sooooooooooooo happy with the results...it gave me my life back!!!! :-D I would recommend this to anyone who has no other medical condition (polyps, fibroids, endometriosis) as I think that is why I had such good results..my only problem was heavy, painful periods, with no underlying condition. Good Luck to anyone having this and to everyone that has had not so good results, I hope everything works out for you!

I am scheduled to have this procedure done on the 29th of this month. After reading most of these comments, I'm terrified. I had one procedure to correct the heavy painful constant periods 2 yrs ago and now my periods have started twice a month and lasts anywhere from 3-5 days (which is not normal for me). After, my yearly with the dr., he suggested this procedure because he doesn't want to do a hysterectomy unless absolutely necessary. I am hoping this works and is a positiv experience. My only problem or should I say concern is that my fiance will be home from Iraq in 3 weeks and I am unsure of when I would be able to have intercourse, if we choose to. Can anyone answer, I have read 48 hrs, 2 wks, and some people have waited longer, which is it? ?

I had the NovaSure procedure together with a D&C and hysteroscopy on 15th April. I was well cared for with a Consultant doing the procedures. I was told that no tampons or sexual intercourse for 2 weeks.

I went home feeling fine even after the GA but within 2 days started to cramp badly and pass fresh blood rather than the brown/watery discharge I was told to expect. 6 days on and I have been in horrendous pain (like giving birth) and bleeding more. I have not been well enough to even wash my hair. My Consultant has said that it is either an infection (although no temperature or smell from blood) or that I possibly have Adenomyosis which will mean the NovaSure is not so successful as the pain is coming from the muscle of the uterus.

Next stop is hysteresctomy if this is not going to work. I need to give this a few more weeks although if the pain doesn't stop that is going to be difficult.

I am at the point after 3 years of struggling with heavy periods, awful pain and anaemia (with my hair falling out) that I would welcome the Hysterectomy.

MarieAnn
47 years

All women should realize not one person in this world will have the same side effects as anyone else. And I also have a male gyno and he is 100 times better than all those women gyno's i have seen. I have had no side effects. However I do not have any underlying health conditions. Except for the fact I had my periods 21 days continuous and then started again 7 days later. Now very little bleeding once in awhile for maybe 2 days.

I am 2weeks post op and im still having serious pelvic does it get better as time goes on.

i had this procedure done in Jan of 09-- little bit of cramping and discharge--- never had another problem and it's been the best thing I think I have EVER done-- huge life saver!

I am in my forties and had the Novasure procedure done last spring. Out of all of the posts regarding the Novasure procedure, and the usual problems associated with it, for example, bloating, cramps, backaches, etc. I haven't seen anyone talking about their sex drive. Every since I had the procedure, my sex drive has increased tremendously. Even when my body isn't feeling the drive, my brain is!

I had the novasure done July 15, 2009 and have had pain in the adominal area ever since. I have to rely on lortab to help me get throught the day. The only positive thing about this surgery is that I have no more heavy menstrual periods. Before I had the novasure, I bled heavy for three to five days with the first 2 days always severly painful. Now after the surgery, I have moderate uncomfortable pain throughout the day. So I look at my options and find that my days were better with the monthly pain than now. I am so serious about having a pain all day. The only time I don't feel the pain is when I am asleep or laying down flat on my side. :$

Hi there, I am scheduled for a endometrial ablation (Hydro ThermAblator) on Sept. 20th.... I was just wondering why all of you chose the novasure? I don't know if any of you live in the States or not? But I guess this newer procedure is done quite often here in the States... I am nervous of course but my periods have become rediculous with large blood clots, long bleeding and heavy cramping... I have 3 children, so thats why I'm deciding NOT to have a hysterectomy right now because I would have to take care of myself and 3 children... This is also a less invasive procedure that my OBGYN has explained to me... I really trust him, so I hope I'm making the right decision? If anyone has had this procedure done or know of anyone who has had it, please keep me informed..... Thank you very much! I truly hope you ladies that had this novasure done recently, continue to heal... Keep me posted!

I had the procedure done on September 7,2010. I had light spotting and a foul smell. 5 days ago wound up in the er with severe bleeding and large blood clots and severe cramps. I was taken to another hospital due to the er doctor never saw bleeding like mine. Spent the night and day in there riunning test with 5 bags of antibotics going in me due to an infection. My gyn that did the nova sure said this is normal. My periods can be heavy like this for the next 4 months. None of the side effects I have gone through was mentioned by my doctor nor the pamplet that I read. I go back to see my doctor in 4 days. I just want to feel normal. Right now if I had to due this again i would not.

I had Novasure on 9/23/10, I had severe bleeding for about a year, ironically enough, my OLD primary told me that this was normal for a perimenopausal woman, well its not!!! About a year after asking my previous primary about this heavy bleeding, I began to feel wiped out and sleepy all of the time. My new primary Dr did lab work and found that I was dangerously anemic, a second round of lab work was done after my following period and was found to be even worse, my blood work was showing that my body was decompensating and that if I didnt do SOMETHING and SOON, I was going to start to have to have blood transfusions. Upon further investigation, it was found that I had an endometrial polyp and a pretty big one also....so I was schedueled to have Novasure. I asked for a hysterectomy but the CRNP said insurance wouldnt pay for it. I had the procedure done on Thursday and it is now Saturday. They told me that I could return to work on Monday, well all i can say is that its a good thing that I took off for a week instead of the 4 that they told me. I dont know if its just me, but after the procedure, they told me that the pain could be controled with OTC Motrin, yeah right. I was in excrutiating pain for about 5 hours, I toyed witht he idea of going to the ER but the only reason that I didnt was because I didnt want the ride. I will admit that after that, the pain was minimal, I believe that all of that pain came from my cervix being dilated. Once they got 'in there' they decided to cut out the polyp so that must have added to my misery. I have had minimal pain but I have ALOT of nausea, I dont even want to look at food let alone eat it, but I have been making myself eat to keep my strength up. I have had voracious thirst..its crazy, maybe next time Ill need to get some Gatorade. I have been dizzy, lightheaded, lethargic and sleepy. I have allowed myself to just rest (which isnt like me) but this procedure has kicked my ass more than what I thought it would. My discharge is minimal, I dont even have to wear a pad. As far as the outcome, ill have to wait and see. The Dr told me no tampons, no sex, nothing in the vagina for 4 weeks, no lifting for 24 hours, call if i develop chills or a fever, and i can expect discharge for 2 to 4 weeks. He also said that it takes up to 3 months for the cauterization to ripen, the burned area must have time to harden so that nothing can grow. Ill give it time and see. My biggest worry right now is when I am going to start to get some energy back, this really wipped my butt and am so glad that I took off 7 days instead of the 4 that I was told.