In other words; you've paid enormous amounts to the best professionals in the world who've told you to avoid everything you like, (perhaps everything I live for) and perhaps this skin problem will go away.
I've found soaking in Epsom salts makes the irritation tolerable and colloidal oatmeal keeps the skin cracking to a minimum while I enjoy a nice piece of chocolate with my wine.

I felt just today, that my face wipes were causing my fingers to peel, crack, I decided to Google and ran across this info, I am not going to use them anymore, and I knew the cleaning wipes for counters use to cause it, I feel certain now, the face wipes I have been using has caused my problem.

I realize this is an old thread but this response caught my eye. I am having this problem for the first time, I'm 46. I also wear acrylic nails and have for many years. No doubt now that it is a reaction to the acrylic/primer. If you google you will see that it is a common issue for women who wear acrylics or gels. You can have a reaction if you have worn them once or for many years but one thing is for sure - once you have a reaction, you can no longer wear the acrylics or gels.

I've been reading this whole thread for a while now and just wanted to comment on you remark about elevated estrogen levels. I recently heard part of a video about BPA in plastics, which leeches out of the plastic into our food, drink, etc. Apparently BPA behaves almost exactly like estrogen.

I tried so many things to help relieve my peeling, cracking fingers and thumbs. This has gone on for several years and gets much worse in winter. I tried every imaginable cream, lotion, ointment, including steroid creams.

For the first time in all these years, I found something that for me has worked completely. It feels like a miracle cure. It's called "Working Hands" and comes in a green containter, which I bought at Bed, Bath and Beyond in Canada. I put this stuff on my hands twice a day. My fingers have not peeled at all during the entire winter.

I don't know what the active ingredient in this product is. It amazes me that when all those other products failed this one has worked so well.

Okay, so for about 6 months now my one finger peels then heals, the I am good for a month or so then it repeats again. Try the hand lotion, special ointment, drinking more water. In frustration this time I had a tube of Lipactin - cold sore lotion - so far it seems to be keeping the skin from drying out and begin the peeling. When I get that numbing feeling in the fingertip just before it starts to crack, I apply a little of the gel and rub it in.. Crossing my fingers that this will keep working.

I have the same problem with my fingers too and I find that somethings are common. My skin breaks out mostly 1) When I am under a lot of stress. 2) While at work I come in contact with aluminum and stainless steel. 3) Pressure on the fingers, while working I tend to put a lot of pressure on my fingers and fingertips. Like others with the same problem, I find myself chasing my tail looking for some relief. If I wrap my fingertips with some sports tape, the cloth type, that helps a lot.

Same here I have that same problem

petroleum products in cosmetics might seem to help in the short term, but in the long term they are unhealtyh: "petrochemical products can be contaminated with cancer-causing polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. The European Union considers it a carcinogen."

I have the same problem with my fingertips, & it didn't start till after I had gastric bypass 5 yrs ago.

I have found that the more I use DAWN dish soap (especially the foam) this happens to me. I have had to stop using it because everytime I was my dishes by hand. Anyone else use DAWN?

Forget about what all these others are saying - you don't have eczema or any other disease - what you are describing is caused by the chemicals in certain types of hand wipes you get when you walk into some of the big grocery and home improvement stores. It's basically a chemical peel from the last time you used those free hand wipes at a store!

I have been dealing with awful peeling fingertips for a number of years and have used numerous over the counter products, as well as a couple of prescription creams which helped only for a brief period of time. I seem to have found the solution to my problem by using an eczema cream and body wash. These are over the counter products and work beautifully. I use the body wash in the shower, as well as for washing my hands. The only other item I add is a tiny bit of argan oil. I've been using these products with great success for about three months now. I hope this will help someone else to get back their smooth fingertips.

I had this problem on my fingers 6 monthes ago, my thumb, third and forth fingers,, were peeling bad. Finally realized, it was my car steering wheel, by the pattern of peels.Cleaned steering wheel up problem went away.Now I'm dealing with all fingers, need to clean wheel(think how many germs are on a wheel).Still trying to isolate problem,have been doing the fungus treatment seems to be working.   

Hi Emma,
I Have found Kiehl's ultra facial cream really helpful and you can get a large jar. I put this on before I leave the house and when I am indoors (at night or when watching telly) put some on and wear white gloves (Boots@£1). I find that in cold weather I only need to do this once a week. I also make sure that I take a Vit C and zinc supplement,.

M