6 months of hardening of several finger tips Mainly left thumb and pointer finger but also 6 other fingers involved. gets hard, peels cracks and then repeats itself..Used cortisone prescribed ointment for 6 weeks which did not help just created more issues with thin skin sore finger tips and bleeding. I will be seeing my 3rd dermatologist next week. I do not think its Raynaud's from symptoms and weather doesn't seem to be a factor. I hope its not an autoimmune disease and feel good other then very painful finger tips. Has anyone found a solution?

Do you take it or apply oil to the fingertips ?

Candida can be the cause.
Diflucan works very well. I suffered for 4 years. Nothing worked. It stopped completely and never came back. Too much sugar and I see evidence of it again, but when I cut back on sugar it clears up. Mine was very bad. Deep chunks of skin would peel away and my fingers.

Jetta Smith

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I've been have an issue my left hand index finger and thumb for over 40 years. I get a small white spot on my index finger Distal knuckle and over the next two days this would to grow larger and have a white waxy appearance that was hardened and numb. This would progress larger and larger spreading toward the fingertip, the skin surface would finally break open and expose the layer of very thin and sensitive skin. The peeling area would increase in size until the complete fingertip had peeled off. The process was painful and the area around the edges would bleed. This would take about 4 to 6 weeks to complete. In the end I would end up with a completely new fingertip.
I've gone to a four different doctors and a couple dermatologist with no cures. I’ve also tried all sorts of steroid creams, pills and natural remedies and nothing would stop the progress.
The process stated again seven days ago. This time I put shae butter and frankincense on it, but this only made it spread quicker. On the third day I decided to try an anti-fungal cream and quit shae butter and frankincense. Later that day it appeared that the spreading had stopped. Over the next few days the area dried up and hadn't spread. I continue putting the antifungal cream on and the area kept looking better and better .
Yesterday afternoon the top layers of skin were dried out and flaked off. Underneath was the new layer of skin and my finger looks almost normal again. I will continue with the anti-fungal cream until my finger is back to complete healthy skin.
I’m cautiously optimistic that the anti-fungal cream will stop or prevent the peeling in the future.

Here's an update.
Day 15 and my index finger is looking normal again. The anti-fungal cream stopped the spreading. I would apply the cream a few times a day after I washed my hands. Let it dry and avoided wearing gloves that didn't breath.

Have you found out what this is? My friend has had these symptoms for over two years! Doctors are baffled

I'm fascinated with all,of these comments. It's interesting that we all have the same problem but no common cure. My issue started after wearing SNS nail product (and it happened with acrylic nails, gels and silk wraps, and now SNS). I'm allergic to Formaldehyde so My fingernails lifted and I had to cut them back where they began lifting. While waiting for them to grow back out, this issue started happening to my fingertips.... dry, cracked, peeling... I've tried everything I know except I will try the lotrimin lotion now. One thing I'm sure of, I'm allergic to Formaldehyde which caused this problem in the first place.

I've got the same deal -- right thumb and forefinger, sometimes extending down between fingers and to the hand. Fingertips of the middle and ring finger have also been affected. Been using a product called Calmoseptine, covered with bandaids. It does bring about great temporary improvement. Then I go a few days without it and the cracking, peeling and soreness returns. But it seems to bring about the best relief of anything I've tried, and it's not too pricey.

Alas, Working Hands was a complete flop for me, as were all the creams and salves prescribed by doctors and all the lotions they sell in stores. My only success (for temporary improvement) has been Calmoseptine, although I admit I haven't tried most of the things other posters have mentioned.

Do you take this orally or topical?

I have User Heel Cream with urea just when the skin starts to harden and it stopped from being harder. Recently i tried this drug (CTX/Septrin/Cotrimoxazole) on a cough i was having. Just to realise that it has cleared all the patches on my skin and no more formation of the blisters. I Just realized for me that CTX is my wonder drug though am still testing it how long i will stay admiring my fingerprints.

I'm so glad I found this post. My story and my history with artificial nails is exactly the same as yours. I also find that by treating with antibiotic ointment and a bandaid the result is quick healing followed by another round of cracking and peeling about 3-4 days later. It's a vicious cycle and I'm getting very fed up with this horrible condition. I hope that the Black Currant Seed Oil is the cure that I've been looking for.

I believe the prescription medicine you refer to is chlobetesol propionate .05%. Please be aware that it is a very powerful medication, and although it is effective on some conditions, it thins the skin. Never use it on your face! My dermatologist calls it 'the big guns' so use it sparingly only after lesser medications don't do the trick. Recent life events have left my finger skin so damaged that I need to wrap the worst fingers to be able to touch anything. I'm back to looking for a natural cure as steroids seem to be the only way to calm down the problem.

Having found read this thread I can affirm that I also have the same symptoms described though only on my left index finger tip. Thanks for the information as nothing I have tried so far, from antibacterial/antiseptic creams and ointments to hydrocortisone cream, has worked so far. I’m currently trying Canestan anti fungal (Clotrimazole 1%) cream on advice from this thread. Incidentally I am male, aged 59 from the UK and this only started 6 months ago when I thought it was an acid burn from a pepper pickling solution … I will let you know how I get on.

I want to thank all of you for the input. This condition began eight months ago, which I believe I picked up a bacteria at my previous employer. The unhealthy environment is why it is a previous employer! lol I have been contending with painful cracks, which expand, on multiple fingers, constantly. I have used every hand cream to keep the skin moist, with little success. I was about to schedule a useless appointment with a dermatologist, but I decided to research this issue first. I am comforted in realizing I am not the only person with this affliction. The majority of opinions seems to be Black Currant Seed Oil, so I have gone and purchased a bottle.I have just taken my first one and will return to this blog with an update two weeks from today and hopefully, this will be a positive experience.