Thank you for sharing your story! I have a cyst on the back of my head as well, and it's right in the center, so when I lean my head back on anything, it's starting to get very uncomfortable. It's probably the size of a kidney bean at this point. I'm also getting to where I'm really nervous about getting haircuts because not only am I nervous that it'll get combed or injured by accident, but that it'll freak out my stylist. Plus I feel bad when my husband is playing with my hair and has to deal with feeling it! I have several smaller ones as well, and I can tell some of them are slowly growing :( I'm really scared of having them removed, I hate doctors, I hate needles, I hate any sort of "surgery". But I really do need to suck it up and just get it over with. I know I'll be fine, and I know I'll be so relieved once it's over.

I just had one removed 3 days ago on the back of my head, actually my second one, I have two stitches they didn't cut my hair either no bandage. Yes you can wash your hair.

Can I ask everyone a question. I had two cysts removed from my scalp at 16. I went to a GP- he put me under for the procedure and it was a very easy recovery...BUT my hair never grew back from where the cyst was. I hate it. I'm constantly self conscious about two bald spots that I have. Fast forward and now I have a huge cyst growing right on top of my head. I hate it, but I am so nervous to have it removed in fear of having another bald spot. Did everyone's hair grow back? Did I have a bad surgeon? Has anyone experienced permanent baldness? Thank you!

i had one removed today by burning off. It was a Nurse practitioner who did it. she numbed the area with lidocane first though I still felt a little. she offered to numb it more but I thought I could tough it out. It wasn't bad but afterwards I felt pain and wished I had accepted the additional shots. There was no shaving, or stitches. the area is still very swollen, but I hope that will resolve over the next week. There was no special instructions for after care except to let any scab fall off by itself, probably with my next shampoo. I had had the cyst for several years and decided that it was just an irritant. I also had concerns that it might become cancerous later in life...better safe than sorry...The entire thing took less than 5 minutes and was worth it.

Did you have to take time off work after having this done?

Even I have swelling under my right eye after getting the cyst removed couple of days back,please let me know is everything normal or should i consult some other specialized doctors

Oh I know the pain from severe infected cyst removal.went to my MD only to have him try to do it with NO numbing the area at all he couldn't get it so it only got worse the next day it had doubled in size so went to a clinic soon as the Dr seen my scalp she said it has to be open and removed after 5 numbing shots around the cyst she began to remove the cyst alot of blood was running down my neck which with head their is usually alot of blood even from a scratch to the head.Well that Dr got as much of the cyst out as she could then packed it with gauze which was very painful even with the numbing meds cause it was so infected.now I have to go to ENT specialist to have the rest removed cause it is deep in my scalp.I sure hope they put me to sleep.lol

Who did your procedure

Just fyi - my scar doesn't grow hair and I am left with a bald spot (bigger than the bald spot the cyst made) right on the top of my head. I had 5 removed from a dermatologist with a specialzed technique and the hair grew back perfectly, but she retired and no one else seems to know this technique. The surgical model seems to differ dr to dr too, and where my Mum's was cut off in a straight line, my scar is a 'u'shape and left a nasty pink scar. I should have asked about this first, but I was too shy and nervous. I hope you don't make the same mistake I did. Ask away and comparison shop by all means...best of luck!

Mine was more like yours. 3 the size of grapes. All in giant clumps in a jar. Lots of swelling so it hurts. You explained mine too. I have 11 more :/

Hi there i had a cyst removed last friday and still in pain and feeling sick haveing stichy oit on ftiday but ot is still.painful

A local PA (Physician Assistant) did mine - size of a large grape. Charged $150 US - including the follow up to remove stitches.

Greg Kujawski, FNP-BC
Franklin, NY

where in PA did you have it done?

I am planning on having a cyst removed from my scalp that I have had for years. Just wondering did anyone have to take antibiotics?? I really don't want to.

I had two cysts removed a few days ago. one was big and one tiny from my scalp. . I would suggest having them done by a surgeon not a dermotologist. It is done better and quicker. I had only stinging after shot wore off but after a day or two goes away esp with Tylenol.