Funny thing - my husband just had this done and the clinic required him to see an ENT. The ENT then required him to have the procedure done in a minor procedure room at the hospital.

The cost to have these performed BEFORE any insurance deductions:
3x$630 = $1890
Office Visit to assess before removal = $300
Minor Procedure Room at the Hospital = $3,200
Total = $5,390

I find this a bit excessive... and am more than a wee bit upset.

hi, I'm 14 years old and had a cyst removed from my neck when I was 9 and other removed from my shoulder blade when I was 12... I now have another one just above my ear on my scalp... It is very tender and brushing my hair has become painful to do. I have a fear of needles and refuse to be awake for an operation as I get to panicked with even just being asleep... I originally wasn't sure whether to get it removed or not, but now I feel as though I should, because of the pain it causes me when bumped/touched... I was just wondering if I have to be awake for the operation or I can be asleep for it, how much does it hurt afterwards, how do I care for it after the operation and will they have to shave my head or put a bandage on it? Please reply! :)

I think you are talking about a post auricular infected cyst. This can be removed under local anaesthetic and they will tell you about postoperative care. They will not shave you head and recovery should be a matter of a few days.

Is this cancerous?

So I had a cyst removed on the left side of my scalp last year in Fall.
He shaved my scalp, cut it out (apparently there was super long black hairs as well) and I was good to go. But ever since the removal, I have been in pain from it.
I used to get headaches because of it, and the headaches have worsened to a faint stabbing feeling. The scar is bubbly and it hurts to touch. It's been nearly a full year of it gone, but it just hurts more. Super tender, painful, and things get caught (like brushes and my nail) when I brush or scratch that side of my skull.
Has anyone else had this problem ? Please, let me know.

What type of doctor did you go to?

Thanks,
Kathie

My mom justly had her cyst removed today and we just got home... Cani help her wash her hair?

Legend
I think you have to ask her doc about that.

They did mine in office as a regular visit

Hello – wanted to follow up on this before I unsubscribe to the thread. Its been a year or two since I had the cyst removed and the hair did completely come back! The scar is unnoticeable at the top of my head and there are no noticeable bald spots. No lasting effects at all. EXCEPT that cysts run in my family, so unfortunately another has since grown near the location of the previous. But after the pain of having it removed... it is staying! Good luck to everyone looking for answers!

It all depends. And you may be surprised by your insurance. Most insurance companies do cover removal of pillar cysts, and it all depends on the doctor office and just how big they are. I had one that was 4cm by 4cm in size. That's on the pretty large side of it. The removal did cost a pretty penny, though, since I hadn't met my deductible yet. They require an office visit first to examine the cyst and then another visit is usually scheduled for the actual removal. the remove for me was about $330.

Also yes, a dermatologist is the one you want to see about this. Most do removals as well.

Two and a half years ago, I had a pilar cyst removed. An anesthetic was used to numb the area prior to incision. Once the cyst was removed, three stitches were in place, and a follow up was done a week later to have them removed. 8 months or so later, another cyst surfaced at the exact same spot.

So, yesterday, I had the second cyst removed from the same family doctor. All went well except the first needle used to numb the area wasn't effective, so a bigger needle was just. Feeling the injections in my scalp freaked me out!! The cyst was removed, but I was told there were other little ones in the area and those were removed as well ( I did not know they multiplied!). Only two stitches for the aftermath, and there seemed to be more blood this time around.

Recovery was simple - Tylenol and not to ease the area right away. When the numbing wore off, I did find the area throbbing and as recommended, took a Tylenol to ease the discomfort. I am hoping this is the last time I have to do this. Fingers crossed!!

Just Sue ur doctor, u could easily get a tonne of money out of it

Getting a cyst removed from my forehead this morning (12/22/15). I'm fairly nervous about the healing process but I'm tired of seeing this thing on my face. It's about the size of a pencil eraser and causes me no pain. I rarely go to the hospital and have very few appointments so my deductible was never met resulting in me having to pay $521 for the procedure. I'm having this done with a surgeon at my dermatologists office - maybe by having this done by a surgeon I'm being charged extra? Who knows ... I'll come back and explain what happened in a few hours.

How did it go? I am having the first of two done in ten days. How big we're the bandages? Was it a dermatologist or a surgeon? Thanks for taking the time to respond.