How did you know the cyst was infected? did you have any symptoms the first time when the cyst was severely infected? Also, what about this last time?

I'd find me a new doctor to have the cyst checked out. I personally went to a plastic surgeon for several reasons, mostly t because he/she will have leave the least amount of a scar. I haven't been displeased with my choice, my doctor has removed 5 cyst from my scalp, the most recent 12-2014. Answer your question on how are they caused, I was the cyst are heredity.

I recently had a cyst removed on the top of my scalp a few weeks ago. My symptom are exactly like yours. I found out that it is a nerve related reaction and can be as much as a stitch being close to a nerve. The symptoms will slowly improved as the stitches dissolve. Good Luck with your incision,,

does it hurt when you have it removed

What type of doctor removed your cysts?

I am wondering the cost?

Hi, I'm just curious, blue dog.. did you go to a cosmetic surgeon?

I had a 4 cm cyst removed on back of scalp this week. High pain threshold so was not nervous about surgery. However, what should have been 15 minute procedure turned into 45 minutes. Very deep, difficult removal and hard time stopping bleeding.  It was easier having two cesareans.  This is my 3rd day and still on Tylenol. If this ever has to be done again I will insist on general anesthegia. 

Where is your family doctor? I just visited a clinic in Toronto that wanted $300 to remove a small cyst. I'd much prefer to have this done for free or cheaper.

Are these cysts on the head/scalp due to not washing your hair regularly?  

I had my cyst removed last year. No hair was shaved. The doctor numbed the left area of my scalp, the surgery lasted 20/30 minutes. The doctor sent the cyst to analysis just to make sure it wasn't cancerous. I started feeling harsh pain 2 hours after the surgery when the anesthesia wore off. I took Tylenol and Advil to to reduce the pain but it was still there. The pain lasted 3 days. I was not prescribed any antibiotics or special shampoo. The stitches fell after 2/3 weeks and I have a small scar on my scalp. The doctor said the cyst could regrow but after a year I still have nothing. Since I had my surgery in France (during XMAS holidays) I only had to pay 23 euros so $30.

I just had three cysts removed four days ago.  Two of them were quite large, perhaps 6 to 10 stitches.  I was under general anesthesia because I was having a lipoma removed at the same time.  I had a great deal of pain the first 24 hours, but the OxyCodone helped make it manageable.  I get the stitches removed in a few weeks.  I am very happy that I finally had the cysts removed after many years of procrastinating.

It is simple , it is very easy and the doc is right ..i got two removed 4 years back.

lamb2627,
I am experiencing the same symptoms as you.It has been a week ago since I had my cyst removed and I'm still having pain and numbness about 2 inches above where the cyst was removed. Are you still have numbness and pain?

thanks ..yes very helpful