I just had a larger cyst removed today. I have several stitches. I was told I can wash my hair tomorrow and to put antibacterial ointment on twice a day. I don't have to wear a bandage. Hope this is helpful.

READ ME!

When I first felt the cysts on my head I had no idea what they were and my GP was pretty useless and the internet made me ask more questions rather than answer my questions. I've had 3 cysts removed by my GP. He cut a big incision which left one quite bad scar but its manageable as I have a lot of hair. I wasn't pleased with the end results so I decided to seek advice from a private doctor and PERFECT! Problem solved. He made a small incision and the cysts popped out. Barely any scarring. DONE! Many GP's do not use this kind of incision so make sure you ask! and if they say no (my gp did and said he had no idea what I was on about) then go elsewhere. It cost me £1150 to get 5 cysts taken out in a private clinic. Had it done on the day of my consultation! Quick, easy DONE! Yes its a lot of money but I was fed up. I do suggest asking your GP to refer you to a local hospital and have it done on the NHS but if you can afford it then go private.  ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed ***

Also with the first removal with the GP there was blood all over my hair and quite a few stitches but no bandage. Just had to hold a bandage on the area for a few hours on the day of removal. There was a small amount of pain after but a paracetamol, good sleep and I was perfectly fine. With the removal with the private doctor there was a very little blood and very few stitches!

Funny thing happened to me around 14 years ago .

I had a cyst on top of my head .They cut it out in the Doctor's office and it shot across the room the cyst and  we could not find it .We had some laugh because it was found in the doctors coat pocket he was wearing LOL.H e said thats a first ..........

I now have the same cyst grown back in th same spot it was removed .

I have pain on my right side of my face and ear and shooting pains over my right eye brow

I have had this pain come and go now 3 weeks .

In February 2011 I had a cyst removed from the back of my head close to my neck. It started as a small lump on my head and ended up getting infected and big. I made an appointment with a surgeon because the pain was so bad and he told me he will give me some antibiotics and if that wont work he will remove it in his office on my next appointment seven days away. I was mad because I told him I cant sleep at night and I did not wont to go another week with the pain. The next week I went to my appointment and he told schedule me for surgery at the hospital two days away. I was told that I would not be put to sleep. Two days later I went to the hospital for surgery and they told me the surgery will take about 30 minutes and the anesthesiologist told me he will not put me to sleep because that would be overkill. The next thing I know I was heading to the operating room and all I remember is the doctor saying this is that little medicine I told you about, then I woke up in a recovery room and my mom and my wife told me they had to put me under and they had a hard time removing the cyst and it took almost two hours to complete the surgery and another two hours in recovery. Later I was given my instructions and told that I should be fine within 3-5 days. I was so messed up on morphine and whatever else they gave me I just went home and went to sleep. After about a week I was still having pain and the prescription of vicodin was helping as much and my head was still numb all over, even the top of my head. I called the doctor and they told me some times it takes longer for the numbing medicine to ware off. A week after that I went to my follow up appointment and told the doctor all the problems I was having and he told me he had a hard time removing the cyst and he may have damaged a nerve in my head and that's what the numbness was from. I ask him how long will I have to deal with this problem and he just bluntly said if its not gone in three months then its probably permanent and there is nothing I can do. After that he sent the nurse in to remove my stitches and that was it, now its five long months later all over the back of my head is still sore and numb. This has been a very bad experience, I pray that know one else will have to go threw what I'm going threw.

Thanks

I was worried about the same thing.  But the hair has grown back since my surgery.  I had the surgery in march and my hair that was shaved has grown back about 2 inches already.  I can feel that I have a scar from the incission, but it is totally covered by my hair so doesn't bother me much.  My hair is actually growing a lot better now, because when I had the cyst it was pressing my hair follicles and my hair was barely growing in that area, what was there was corse like copper wire...ew.  I'm glad I had the cyst removed!  also, I didn't have to wear a bandage and the stitches were only in for about a week.  I could cover mine if I pulled my hair in a ponytail np.

ummm hey im a 15 yr old girl and i was wondering what this bump was and i came to this i have a question will the hair in that spot grow back ?? 

I'm sixteen and due to have one on the back of my head, near the top (not very technical but oh well), removed on the 17th August. They tried to book me in last week but when I arrived and was talked through the very basics of the procedure, before I could start grilling the GP for details, we hit a point that seemed infamiliar - shaving my head -.-
My normal GP said that although the cyst is about 1.5cm in length and about 1cm in width, if not narrower, it was bald enough in it's own right that it would unlikely need to be shaven and if it did, not to the extent this new Doctor said - an area of a square inch.
Basically, without asking anything else, I told them to cancel the appointment and walked out in a strop because I had booked it with two weeks of school to go (who misses the last weeks of term? they're the best) thinking it wouldn't be a problem after a few days but no.

Now I'm worried about scarring, the possibility of what my Dad mockingly calls my second brain returning and also the fact that I have other commitments around the 17th. Worst thing ever, my birthday on the 16th and I'm stressed out easily, and then I have to collect my AS results on the 18th.

Help? Comments?

let me tell you all something i had this done today and i am going through TOTAL HELL! it is wide open and hurts so damn bad. no stitches no nothing i am to repack gauze in it every 24 hrs for the next 2.5 weeks before my next appointment, but to be honest they will be getting a call tomorrow as it is 138 am and i hurt so bad i can not sleep! and ive taken medication so strong i just want to vomit   ;-| i would NEVER do this again and if it were not for my husband and sister I dont know how i would even be able o get anything done!!  i do have hair a little longer than half way down my back and they didnt remove any of my hair but let me tell you the hole that is there is the nastiest thing i have ever seen and i would rather give birth again than to ever go through this! :'(

I did have a cyst removed from my head and it was fine. No problems at all. I don't think there was any bandage and normal hair washing was allowed. Your doctor will tell you. My cyst has reaccured again and now I will need to go back because it has gotten to big again and a little sore. I did hear they come back. I think the cyst is from scar tissue. Hope this helps. Paulette

Dear Guest;

I need to have one on my scalp removed too but I don't have a family physician to go to. What kind of doctor removes these? Thanks for the info.

THIA ABOUT A ONE YEAR WE T BACK THEN ASK THE SO WETO HOSPITAL ASK ABOUT LIIT LUMP OK SO SHE IT JUST SOMETHING NOT WORRY OK SO GO BACK TO MY REGULAR DR AT THE TIME OK SO ON FRIDAY NIGHT OCT 21 I WAS GET LOT OF PAIN THE BACK OF HEAD AGAIN SO TO FOUND LUMP THERE SO TRY TO GET SLEEP IT WELL STOP ALL NIGHT ALL DAY SO I TOOK MY HUSBAND I NEED TO GO I NEED VERY SERVE PAIN SO WE TO HOSPITAL TO HAVE LOOK A AGAIN SO DR COME TO LOOK AT SAID I WAS SEB CYSTS THERE IT LOOK VERY REDNESS AND TENER WE SHE TOUCH SO SHEO WE NOT GO DRAINGER UNTIL THE  GET HIGHER DOCTOR TO LOOK OVER AGIN TO SEE IF SHE GET DRAINAGE OUT SO HE SAID NO GET SOME PAIN MED AND SOME INFECTION NED SEEND ME JUST TO FOLLOW WITH MY DR IN WEEK SO I SO WE HOME STIIL PAIN WITH SO WAIT UNTIL MONDAY MORNING MAKE APPT AT DR OFFICE FOR TUESDAY OCT 25 2011 TO HAVE MY DR LOOK AT SO SHE TOOK IT LIKE IT SO LOOK IT OVER AGAIN AND HAS HER HAVE OTHER DR COME AND HELP GET ALL READY TO DONE AND SHE COME NUMB ME UP SO STILL WAIT FOR OTHER ROOM TO OPEN SO THM CAME BACK IN SHE WAS GET INTO THIS THE SAME ROOM SO THEN TOOK ME TO LAY DOWN MY SIDE IT WAS LEFT ON LAY THE CYSTS WAS MY RIGHT SIDE OFD MY HEA S SCALP NEVER CUT MY HAIR OK SO WE NUMB UP IT WAS DRAIN AGE THEN SO SHE COME WAIT FOR TO BE ALL READY I WAS SO THEN HAVE BE THERE AND START DO THE PR AND SHE DRAIN AND TTOK IT LIITL CAPSALE THE COME OUT I SO HAPP Y THAT THAT STITCH UP AND TTOK SIT UP AND RELAX FOR LIT BIT AND THEN LEFT AND TTOK I BE OK RETURN A WEEK FROM TODAY WAS TUESDAY AND I SIGN NOTICE ABOUT GET IBFECTION AND KEEP DRY FOR WHILE THEN COME HOME AND START GET APIN AGAIN BUT IT WAS THE NUMB GO AWAY LOL CALL MY DR OFFICE ANSWER SERVICE THE DR CALL ME BACK AND TTOK JUST SOME THE PAIN AND I FEEL REAL DAM FLUSH IT WAS NORMAL BUT IF NOT BETTER IF GET FEVER HIGHERTHEN 100 GO ER THANK YOU FOR LISTEN AND COMMENT ON SUGERY TONIGHT BY

hey i had a cyst on my head n it got infected and ruptured. i had hair loss and eventually had to go to the doctor to have it removed. i had like 3 stitches for like 10days. eventually after about 3months all my grew back except where there is a small scar from the stitiches. hopes this helps and good luck to you.

don't worry about it. I have had several removed. it doesn't hurt, and doesn't take too long for the hair to grow back again. unfortunately they seem to grow back in different places on your head.
you'll be fine

I had my cyst on scalp removed by Local anaesthesia surgery. It took doctor about an hour. I felt comfortable as no pain was felt after the 6 stiches. Now after 8 days stiches have been removed and I feel better but have to make sure it does not appear agin.

Hi my 5 year old has a lump back his head on scalp . Dr. Said was a cyst.I'm freaking out. How is it caused? Damn doctor told me to "Look it up" when I ask what it was. Not happy right now..

a cyst under the scalp is pretty harmless. its often caused by a clogged hair follicle. follicles can get clogged up despite good hygiene and frequent shampooing. the lump under the scalp will feel semi squishy due to the blood and puss, but there can also be a hard mass in there. if you tried to squeeze it, puss and blood will come out, but the mass will stay in there. if you go into a doctors office, they will give you a shot of anesthetic directly into the area of the cyst. the shot is the only pain you will feel. the poke of the needle isnt bad, but the anesthetic he will inject will deliver a burning sensation that feels like alcohol being rubbed on a cut. after about a min, the sting goes away. the dr. will wait about five minutes for it to fully numb, then he will take a small scalpel and make a tiny incision, just enough to pull the cyst out with tweezers, then you will get a few stitches but wont feel a thing. thats it! i had mine removed two months ago, but no sign of hair coming back yet. the cyst came back in two weeks, im thinking he may have to remove the oil gland in there.