had one removed about 8 yrs ago and it was no big deal. No bandages just couldn't wash my hair for 1 week. However it has grown back and want to have it removed again

Had a grape sized cyst removed from my scalp near the forehead 4 days ago by a dermatologist. I had about six or seven shots, yes they hurt. In five minutes I was totally numb and it took her half an hour to remove and stitch up. There is a slight hole there. I was ok until today; now my left eye is swelling half shut and I look awful with this bloody spot and my forehead is slightly swollen too. I had some hair shaved around the cyst. I had it for 14 years! Maybe I need antibiotics but they'd rather let you just die than give those out anymore. I sleep fine so far.

did they put a needle in your head and did u feel it or did they put u to sleep

hi,

I got my cyst from scalp removed this weekend on 29th Sep 2012. The cyst was about the size of one piece of corn. that is about 2cm. Doctor gave me Local Anasthesia around the area of cyst, and then cut the skin. Then removed the cyst permanently, and made 3 stiches. As this was done under local anasthesia, so no pain was there. Towards the evening he advised me to take the pain killer and antibiotic ( Clavum). It went on smooth, and there was very less blood droppage.The medicines have been given for 10 days ( antibiotic). Pain killer for 5 days. There is B-tact cream for applying on that skin part. he advised me to not take shower for 10 days, till the time stiches are not cut.

Susan44 - I had a similar sized or larger cyst removed 2 weeks ago on my scalp just above my forehead. Stitches came out a couple of days ago and i now I have a bald spot that's about the size of a penny! My doctor didn't shave any hair for the surgery just cut some that was in the way. It didn't look too bad until after the stiches came out. That night I rubbed off some of the dead skin in that spot. The hairs in that spot werent rooted they just rubbed right off. I'm really worried! Is your hair growing back okay?

There will be no bandage and you may not shower for 24 hours following the removal of the cyst. The incision will be stitched closed and an antibiotic ointment applied. Thats all.

I also have a cyst on my scalp. It never used to be uncomfortable up until the last few days. It's tender to touch. I read that I should put warm compresses on it and it may drain. I plan on having it removed soon but I just had general surgery and am not up to getting it done for a couple of months. I was just wondering if your cycts were sore at all and if you were ever told to put warm compresses on them. Thanks!

HI,
MY NAME IS MARIE! I HAD ONE REMOVED 2 WKS AGO, I HAVE 7 STITCHES IN MY HEAD WHICH WILL BE REMOVED ON THE 18TH OF THIS MONTH. AND TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION DOES IT HURT? YES I WILL NOT LIE TO YOU AFTER THE NUMBING AGENT WORE OFF IT FELT LIKE SOMEONE HIT ME WITH A HAMMER IN THE BACK OF MY HEAD. ALSO ALL THE BLOOD FREAKED ME OUT TOO.

MARIE

I had a cyst removed from my scalp last year.  I had had it for about 5 years.  It never changed in size, but sometimes it showed through my hair when I put it in a ponytail, so I decided to have it removed.  It was a dime-sized dome-shaped cyst.

The surgery took about twenty minutes.  The doctor applied a local anesthetic, so I felt nothing.  After the cyst was removed, I was stitched up.  The doctor told me to apply bacitracin to the area a few times a day.  They never shaved off any hair or required me to wear a bandage on my head.  In fact, I wore a hat home from the surgery because it was cold.  My head was kind of greasy for a few days, but I just wore my hair back to hide it.  I was even able to wash my hair, but avoided the affected area.

I never really had any pain- just a little soreness- and after I had the stiches removed I rarely even gave a thought to it.  I was worried about the procedure too, but now I feel silly that I didn't have it done sooner.  I love having the bump gone, and insurance covered most of it- I paid only $60 in co-pays.

As a side note, I had a cyst on my head before this one for about 15 years, that burst (I accidentally hit my head on the spot) and eventually went away.  It was REALLY gross and smelled awful, so I don't recommend home surgery on these, which some website recommend you try first.  Go to a doctor!

I had this done about 20 years ago and I am getting ready to have another removed. I had no bandage and the only thing was I couldn't wash my hair for a week and brush your hair very softly around the stitches. No one could tell and I was fine the next day. Its nothing to worry about, If you worry about the stitches showing you could wear a hat or a scarf. {they are both in these days}. You will be fine and So Happy when it is gone. I hope this helps. Best Wishes To You.

My husband had 2 large cysts removed from his head last month. They did not need to shave his hair but he had it cut pretty short before the procedure as he uses a hair trimmer to have it all one length. My husband hates medical things in any form so was dreading it but one was quite near the front of his head and had begun to get noticeable making him self conscious. He's had the cysts for over 15 years but finally got the courage to have them removed. It was done in the doctors surgery in their minor operations clinic. The whole thing took about 15 minutes. They gave him an injection to numb the area and then using a scalpel they made 2 small incisions, then they stitched the scalp after removal. The cysts were quite close to each other and they did them both at the same time, he had 3 stitches in the larger hole and just 1 in the other. He felt a little pressure on his scalp during the procedure but nothing that was painful. The wounds bled a lot at the time but from the point of leaving the surgery, he had no further bleeding. He took painkillers afterwards as when the anaesthetic wore off, he felt a discomfort that he said was very similar to a paper cut, like a stinging feeling. He was told not to wash his hair for a few days and to take things easy for the rest of the day. In the days that followed, he had no pain at all, he was amazed as he expected some discomfort, the only time at all he had any issue was when he made certain facial features, like a frown made his scalp tighten, and then it reminded him of what he's had done, he forgot at all other times! When he washed his hair he was careful not to be too rough at first and over the few times of hair washing in that week, the little bit of dried blood washed away. He had his stitches removed 10 days later and the wounds had healed very well. He had no soreness or anything. He has just had his first hair cut since the surgery and it was so much easier with the hair trimmer, to not have those 2 lumps to trim over. He has fair hair so his scalp is noticeable and there is the faintest of marks left on his head, had you not known he'd been for surgery you'd have no idea. This thread was such a help in the lead up to the surgery and so now its done, we wanted to post about the experience in case it helps others.

sorry wasn't logged in when I posted, this is my post directly above.

i had a tiny cyst removed from the top of my scalp last week and it was the worst experience in my life. the procedure took around 15-20 minutes. the freezing process was a breeze but when the doctor came to take them out, blood was squirting everywhere like a fountain almost...i fainted just from the amount of blood and pain that was caused just in the first 5 minutes. once i woke up, i literally saw a bucket of blood under the sink (nurse wasnt too slick at hiding it). it was 1/4 full of blood and it was a pretty big bucket. i felt very dizzy from the blood loss and had a huge migraine. a bald spot on my head was revealed shortly and i almost lost my mind from how ugly it looked. i was forced to shave off my head from the side. as soon as i paid for something i hated so much, i was told i could shower too. so i left home..waited a day for the spot to be relaxed, then showered the next day. while in the shower, the spot started hurting alot, and even though it was stitched properly, it started gushing blood again, ended up fainting in the shower and hitting my head on the tub. stayed in the hot water 25 minutes until someone realized how quite i was (i usually sing in my showers). so walking in on me, my father saw me almost drowned sing my heel had plugged the drain and water kept rising until it covered my face. it was horrific. i ended up going to the hospital and had it restitched again. very bad experience. if i could advise against it, i would. but im no doctor to know if it would go away by itself or no...

good luck 

I had mine removed two days ago. I had three on my head one big one on top of my head and two smaller ones. For the one on  top of my head I got 8 stiches then for the other two 6 and 4 stiches. The one on top of my head really hurts!! When I smile or make a wrong exspression on my face. What should i do?

Yes the operation is usually simple taking about twenty minutes and you will wear a small plaster for five days that is all no recurrence reported so far I have done such minor operations several timed get it removed