I had my cyst removed a week ago.  I was told lots of blood on internet, which was false, & I'm on blood thinner!  I had a dermatologist remove the cyst on my scalp, rec'd 4  stitches, & get them removed next week.  Surgery took 15 mins & only felt prick of shots.  It was local anesthesia.  Don't use your GP, use a specialist Dermatologist.  I'm into the "itching" stage now & looking forward to healing.  There was no plaster.  Note: if you don't remove the plug of the cyst, it grows back.

Was there any growth of hair after the surgery on the scalp? Or, was the section on the head where there was cyst remained bald?

Oh my goodness thank you so much for explaing the local anesthesia. That is what I was dreading the most. I have had major brain surgery. Of course I was sound asleep for that. I have had local on my feet to have nodules removed, the local did not numb the area at all. I am just hoping I can get something to relax me before hand so I am not so anxious. Thank you again.

I have a 3 cm lump on the left side of my head. It makes my head look deformed. Especially in pictures. Can you guys tell me what this might be and if I can get it removed?

I had a pilar cyst removed from the occipital region of the scalp. It was about 0.5 inches. It was quick and painless. The doctor had some trouble trying to squeeze it out but it eventually did. Even after the local anesthesia wore off, I was fine and took the train home like a normal day. it was slightly tender the first night to sleep on that side, but thats about it. I did not even need stitches. I didn't wash my head for 24 hours, and applied the antibiotic ointment prescribed to me on the incision. 

I had a pilar cyst removed from the top if my scalp 3 weeks ago. I had it for years, only scheduled the surgery when it started getting inflamed and was noticeable. In the 6 weeks I had to wait for an appointment it became increasingly painful and the hair directly above it fell out. One week before the surgery it burst. Day of the surgery I was only expecting the pain of the local anarsthesia like so many here have reported. WRONG (for me at least). Apparently because of scar tissue the repeated attempts at the local didnt work in one area. I felt everything and it was horrible! Worst pain of my life and I've had 2 kids. Doctor only told me to take Tylenol. After reading this thread wish I had pushed for something stronger. The first 4 or 5 hours were so painful I couldn't do anything but sit on the couch. 4 Tylenol and a large glass of wine that night. By the next day most if the pain was gone and everything healed well. Greasy pony tail hair for a week but no more pain. I've been searching the boards because the hair I lost hasn't come back yet. There is a bald spot about the size of a half dollar on the very top of my head on the part. I can't seem to find any answer as to if it will return. I can only hope it will as it has caused my self confidence to be completely low. Just wanted to tell my story so you have another side.

I've been using a syringe to actually drain my cyst .  It is now alot smaller however I

am at apoint of wanting to cut it open and get it out. How do I get the sac all the way removed?

I have 3 cysts the size of small marbles on the back of my head towards the center of my scalp. My GP told me to go directly to a plastic surgeon and not "waste my time" with a dermatologist. When I had my first visit, the doctor was with me for less than a minute, told me they remove them right there in the office and told me to set up an appointment. Yesterday I had the procedure done. He told me right beforehand that they could not do more than one at a time because they are too close together and would cause too much pain. I didn't want to waste my appointment, so I asked him to remove the largest one. The procedure was incredibly unsettling, I felt the needles, the pressure of the instruments and the pulling taught of the stitches. I had a hot flash and felt like I was going to puke while this was going on. Thankfully it was over quickly and I was able to calm down. A day later I am having a fair amount of pain and the skin feels tight, making facial expressions hurts. I looked at my head with a mirror and saw a circular cut over an inch long with 6 stitches. The doctor did not explain the procedure at all. I guess this was my fault for assuming it would be less intrusive, I had heard stories of small cuts and popping the cyst out with minimal effort and pain. I really want toget my other cysts removed but there is no way I will have he procedure done the same way as this one.

I have one that I need removed that is at the top on the side of my head im really worried they will have to shave my hair as I have really long hair and where the ciyst is that u will see the shaved patch. Do yhey have to shave it?

Cysts appear to run in my family. My grandmothers, mom, sisters and I all have them. If you don't get rid of them before they get too large or old, hair will stop growing on the area so I suggest the sooner you have them removed the better. The procedure is quite simple. Oftentimes insurance will cover the full cost, especially if you claim the bumps are painful or are causing you emotional upset. It is a quick outpatient procedure. They start by trimming a small amount of hair in the affected area with scissors and injecting local anesthetic. Once the area is numb, they make a small incision and remove the mass. Oftentimes they are rootlike and need to be cut out/trimmed. From there you are sutured with a small amount of stitches depending on how large the area is. It is minimally painful and the whole procedure takes no more than the allotted 1 hr apt time. After 3 or less weeks the stitches are removed. The procedure itself oesn't hurt since the area is numbed, and afterwards extra strength OTC Tylenol for a few days is sufficient for pain relief. You can wash but should not blow dry your hair since the stitches may melt. You also should not lift more than 10lbs if it can be avoid for a day or two to avoid rupturing the sutures. Im a nurse, have seen the procedure since my mom has had it done, and have my own first one scheduled in a week or two. Afterwards if it is done right, the bump will be completely gone and hair growth will resume. Hope that helps and best of luck!

I have had eight cysts removed from my scalp over a period of 20 years There is nothing to worry about. I didn't need a bandage, my hair was long enough to cover the shaved spot. The incision and removal of stiches do not hurt because the scalp has few nerve endings. It is a very easy procedure.

I got a cyst removed from the back I my head on oct 28..The DR said it was bout 4 cm and it was a deep after surgery the area got swollen and I went back for a follow up and he said there was pus still there due to something about spec which I do not know what is it he is talking bout and still this day it seem sore and swollen kinda like there's a cyst still there even though doctor said he got it all out...I want to know if anybody has had one which was deep on scalp or skull and how long for it to go down completely....

I had a cyst removed from the top of my scalp on Monday. I went the GP (who specialises in skin) to finally after years suss it out. He looked at it, touched it and straight away told me what it was. He also told me if I left it, it will get bigger and I will have a bald spot. He the asked if I wanted it out - which I said yes too. He readjusted his bed, so I could sit up in it and put locals into my scalp - that was the most painful thing. As the locals setted in, he called for the nurse to help him out because he did warn me that there will be a lot of blood. He came back, sliced it open and removed the cyst in like 5mins. In that time blood began to run down my face and the GP got me to hold a piece of towel on my forehead to catch the blood. After he stitched me up the nurse finally arrived cleaned me up and the tools. And my GP told me to come back the following Monday to get the stitches removed - I got 3. And to take panadol when I get pain after the locals wear off. The procedure was so quick and easy. But I did find that I couldn't raise my eyebrows, laugh or rub my forehead for the first few days as it will also move the skin on my scalp. Today is Friday and my second day without any major pain. It's just now really itchy, and a friend of mine who is a nurse told me to put pawpaw ointment on it.

I just got it done and have 10 staples in my head.

They didn't give you anything while they pull them out!?