Good morning, all - mnfun2bme, yes, I felt like I was crazy for a bit, but once I got into my regular GYN, just this week, she assured me I wasn't. In place of a hysterectomy or hormones, I'm scheduled for a hysteroscopy in a couple of weeks. An ultrasound verified pockets of fluid and scar tissue, so they are going to attempt to clean up the scar tissue to relieve the pain. Of course, I realize this may only postpone the inevitable, but if it relieves the pain and my periods do not return to the point of crazy, I'm on board. The surgery is outpatient and will not require any incisions. For those looking to avoid a hysterectomy at this point, it is worth talking to your provider about the hysteroscopy. I'll keep you posted on the results. Take care.

I am also having the same horrific pain. my ultrasound shows fluid buildup and my uterus is swollen. I gave birth to two children without medicine...and this pain tops it. I scheduled a hysterectomy in two weeks. I am nervous about it...but I was offered no other choice...Has anyone had a post ablation hysterectomy with success?

hayleyj wrote:

I am also having the same issues. Before my ablation, I was experiencing extremely heavy periods with very bad cramping. My OB/GYN recommended the Nova Sure ablation. I did it in May, 2010 and was extremely satisfied with the results. No periods and no pain ever since then - until almost a year later in April, 2011. At the time of the month that my period would normally come, I am experiencing EXCRUCIATING cramps for 2-3 days, but NO bleeding what so ever. I believe that I have a high tolerence for pain; I rarely take medicine at all. But THIS pain doubles me over and puts me right in bed with my heating pad and a bottle of Midol. My husband even said he heard me moaning in pain in the middle of the night. This past weekend I came home from work early because of the pain and was in bed all of Friday evening, all day Saturday, and until about 11am Sunday morning.  My entire weekend was ruined. Mine is a stabbing pain, not like your normal menstral cramps. I do not want to have to have a hysterectomy, but I'm afraid that's what my dr. is going to tell me. I am scheduled for an ultrasound on July 10th, 2011, and then I see the Dr. right afterwards. We will see what happens.

Hi there... It's me, mnfun2bme.

I ended up after 5 months of the horrific pains because of the fluid being trapped having a hysterectomy.  It was immediate relief.  Don't get me wrong, the pain after a hysterectomy is no walk in the park and the recovery period requires patience and lots of help.... but compared to that pain I felt prior to surgery every month, it was more like a walk in the park.   Now, I do say that lightly because seriously there was pain involved with the recovery from the hysterectomy... but it was just that - RECOVERY PAIN... and not something you were going to have to live with for long.

Congrats on making the decision to have a hysterectomy.  Hold on tight.... soon your ride will come to a complete stop!  What type of hysterectomy do they plan to do?  I had a laproscopic and they left my ovaries and cervix.  If you have not already done so, I would recommend joining "Hystersisters" website.  It was helpful to be paired up with others who were going through a similar experience at roughly the same time I was.

I also have experienced similar symptoms after my thermal ablation. I had my thermal ablation in January 2011. In March 2011, I began having severe menstrual cramps without the bleeding, which last for about two days. My cramps are so severe that I can barely walk. I lie in my bed in a fetal position because the cramps are so bad. I look as if I'm nine months pregnant with my swollen stomach. A full urinary bladder intensifies the pain. During my first episode, I thought I had a urinary bladder infection, but the doctor stated it was no infection. His diagnosis was Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) because my x-rays revealed that my intestines were swollen. My GI doctor does not believe my problem is digestive, but he agreed to perform a colonoscopy at my request. Since the cramps are similar to menstrual cramps, I decided to see whether anyone else has the same symptoms after their thermal ablation. After reading all the posts, I believe my symptoms relate to the Thermal Ablation.

I am so glad I found this post. I had an ablation about 3 years ago due to very heavy bleeding and bad cramping. My doctor made it very clear that the ablation would help the bleeding but not so much the cramping. At the time, the bleeding was worse so it was a good option for me. It was great for the first 6 months or so, no bleeding and no cramping. I hardly even knew when I was having a period. The cramps started coming back and each month got worse. Fast forward to today...they are excruciating. I feel like I'm in labor every month. I have 4 children and I would swear that this is what I felt like on my way to the hospital to give birth! My husband feels bad for me cause he can tell how much pain I'm in and what's even worse is that I have a high tolerance for pain...but this is MAJOR! My doctor prescribed me some pain meds that are supposed to be specific to the uterine area and made for dysmenorrhea they are called PONSTEL. You can only take them for 3 days at a time and no more than once a month. They worked well in the beginning, but now I have to make a cocktail of Ponstel and 2 Aleve to get moderate relief. The other bad part is that they are kind of random, pain for 2 days, no pain for a day a half then out of the blue they strike again. I can't take it anymore and will be discussing the hysterectomy option with my doctor. I hope I'm making the right decision I just don't know what else to do. I cannot continue to live with this cramping as it is affecting my life. I pray that we all find some relief soon!

I am sitting her in so much pain I want to cry!!! I had the ablation like most of you due to bad periods and cramps. I was done with having children and figured - why not, I don't need my period...

It's been almost 3 years now. In the beginning I had very light periods -(yes I still had them) for atleast the first 6 - 8 months, then I started getting regular ones like I never had the surgery, with even worse bleeding. I accepted it, the surgery didn't work and I will have periods. Now for about a year my periods have been accompanied by pain I have never had ever with a period. I am on the floor balled up in a fetal position with pain so bad, heating pad, hot bath, ibuprofen,:'( nothing works! I now take vicodin with ibuprofen and sometimes that doesn't even work.

I am so glad I found this site with all of your postings, there's some comfort knowing I am not the only one going through this. My husband feels that I need to have the surgery again and everyone I talk to thinks I need to have a hysterectomy. I am in my late 30's and I really don't want to have a hysterectomy! One point to mention, I to had my tubes tied, not sure if this has something to do with it, but I noticed others had this done to. 

I had an ultrasound and a (don't know what the scope thing is called), anyways they both came back with everything being normal - no problems. I am going to make an appointment with another physician to get a second opinion. I really hope there is an option out there to take care of this without resorting to a hysterectomy.

Hi Olsent:

I'm sorry you're going through this.  It's MNFUN2BME.  My horrible pain, as you may have read started in December 2010.  It was horrible as you probably read.  Because I haven't read this in a while, I will tell you that my problems ocurred because my cervix had scarred shut.  I did have minor periods but my uterus was apparently getting so inflamed each month and there was no where for the blood to go because my cervix was closed shut.  I had a hysterectomy at the end of April.  They left my ovaries and my cervix.  It was the best decision I made.  It now elminated the pain I had monthly and I'm still ovulating so I haven't gone into menopause.  I am 45 years old.  I still have minor periods each month because they left my cervix.... but no more pain.  :)

***this post is edited by moderator *** ***
web addresses not allowed*** 

May you find relief,

Lisa (mnfun2bme)

I am due to have an ablation next Monday, I am getting very heavy periods, with blood clots and cannot take it no more, I am currently taking Tansulosin hydrochloride each month to reduce the bleeding, but have been told this will not work for much longer.  I suffer from terrible PMS and have been told that the ablation will cure all this. After reading your comments above, I am now in two minds whether to go ahead as I do not want to experience worse pain a year or so in the future.

Any advice please

Hello everyone, I was glad and yet disheartened to read these posts.  I too have been suffering horrific cramping.  I had my Nova Sure ablation in May of 2010.  I felt fantastic for six months, no bleeding, no cramping, nothing.  Last December I started cramping and spotting.  The cramps have steadily gotten worse throughout the year.  I even got to the point where I started having light periods for five days.  Unfortunately I stopped having periods at the end of October and the severe pain and cramping began.  I went from erratic spotting and cramping to light periods and erratic cramping.  Now I have severe cramping and pain and no period! I took 5 pregnancy tests and they are all negative.  Yet I have breast tenderness, nausea, and constant pain.  The pain levels go from a dull ache to severe cramps that none of the medications I am taking even touch.  It feels like someone has taken an eggbeater to my insides.  It even hurts to go to the bathroom.  I am only 34 and I had a tubal ligation 7 years ago.  I don't want to have a hysterectomy and am discouraged that this appears to be a common ailment with a hysterectomy being the cure. I guess it is time to go see the doctor.  Thanks to everyone for posting their experiences.  I don't feel so alone and freaked out anymore.

Imbathsheba -

So sorry you're experiencing what many others who have found this site also seem to have experienced at one time.  May you be painfree in no time... however that comes for you.

They are probably going to tell you that you need a hysterectomy. I'm almost 50, and had my tubes tied when I was 30. I had the ablation a year and a half ago, and after about 6 months I was experiencing such horrible pain, I have to take vicodin or roxyset just to take the edge off!

I'm sure my doctor will tell me I need a hysterectomy too, but because I'm 50, how many more "ghost periods" will I have to suffer through? I really don't want to have to deal with the recovery, and the expense of surgery even though I have insurance. Plus, I want to go to my grave with my body intact.

Good luck, and let us know what they tell you!

I have had so much pain after my ablation, I do not want a hysterectomy! my doctor knows that for a fact, but I have got to have relief from the pain in my left side, hurts really bad to touch it! I had the surgery about 3 to 4 weeks ago and having drainage (orange to brown). Yes I was bleeding heavy and fibroids. I am making an appointment with my doctor, because this is crazy or make you go crazy. I did not want to do this in the first place, but was talked into it. I am really upset, I knew I didn't want that surgery. I so regret it.

Omgosh---I have the same excruciating pain after my ablation done in June of 2011. First couple months were ok following procedure---still bleeding though--little less than before but the pain that followed was like no other. I hate to take---ready for this---4000mg --yep 5--800mgs of ibruprophen just to be able to walk---worst pain I have ever had in my life and now I am scared to death for the following months episode. Doctor said hysterectomy was the only option but my dilema is do I let them take the ovaries or not. I have heard horror stories both ways and after this terrible procedure I don't have the trust in any doctor as I should.

I don't blame you being leary of your doctor's opinion. Remember, it is an "opinion." Only you can decide this. It's a very personal thing for people. I opted to keep my ovaries as I was 45 when the surgery was performed and wasn't quite ready to go diving off the edge into menopause. Wow... I can relate to the ibuprofen amount... but I ended up on stronger pain killers. Essentially, I just needed to be knocked out. I remember one month, I almost went to ER to just have them put me out. The pain is like no other, that's for sure.

I am sorry you are experiencing this. I wish there was more information about it out there. People think the ablation to be the end of their problems.... when from everything I have read, it can be just the beginning. Hang in there and consider all options and all physicians.