Quote:

maribb1 wrote:

I had a Nova Sure ablation three years ago. I would have said it was very successful before last month. Both last month and today, at the time I would normally have my period, I am having horrific menstrual cramps without bleeding. Today the cramps are so excruciating that I had to come home from work. If I move around at all, I double over from the pain. Ibuprofen and naproxen don't touch the pain, and I don't want to go back on the prescription pain meds I had to take for my cramps before the ablation. All I can do is roll up in a ball with a heating pad on my belly. I had severe cramps that lasted for several days (along with heavy bleeding) before the ablation, but the pain I am experiencing today is even worse. Any ideas? Could I have grown back uterine lining or scar tissue that is causing me to cramp so badly?

i had a novasure ablation 6months later the bleeding stopped. and each period thereafter pain is terrible doctor has no idea whats causing it. hoping for a referral to consultant .

I had the surgery over 4 weeks ago and i have been in the worst pain i've ever felt and i have had two children, i also have very unusual discharge that is very painful feels like i'm in labor they are sayin they have no idea what the problem is i have been to three different hospitals and to my dr office twice and now i am on doxycycline for an infection that seems to be getting worse now the pain is so severe it brings tears to my eyes and i have been on the antibiotics for 9 days and no signs of getting better just more pains

Its me again! I just had an ultrasound to determine that cause of my horrible, painful, "ghost" periods, and the ultrasound found NOTHING! I do not have endometriosis or fibroids.

So I have finally decided to have the hysterectomy. My doctor, who is wonderful, said that she will do a laproscopic supercervial hysterectomy. She told me to get in as good of shape as I can before the surgery. I currently exercise about 4-5 days a week, and I'm 5'4" 143 lbs., but my core is weak and I store all my fat in my stomach area. So from now until the end of July, I will be working on strengthening my core. She said that the better shape I am going into the surgery, the quicker and less painful recovery will be.

I do not have an exact date of my procedure, But I will post to this thread my experience prior and post surgery.

Wish me luck with the diet and exercise!!!

bdr529 - Best wishes with your hysterectomy. I would recommend this site:

www.hystersisters.com This website allows you to connect with others who have had surgery the same week as you. It's a very useful site.

On this they talk about bands for your tummy for after the surgery. I would recommend getting one. Maybe you can even find a friend who has one. They help A LOT!

Thank you mnfun2bme! I will look into that

I had the ablation procedure almost 2 years ago and continued to have spotting ever since. As of the last few days  I've started cramping again. I try reducing the pain with 2 hydrocodones with no luck and I am in tears. I'm also suffering from a severe migraine that was very normal during my periods before the ablation. The pain is on my lower right side and radiates to my back and down my leg. I hurts to urinate and have bowel movements. My ob/gyn retired so I am scheduled to see a new Dr. Monday. I am extremely frustrated with this pain; I also have very dark blood that passed 2 days ago with minimal pain then normal blood started passing afterwards but in very little amounts but with increasingly bad pain. I've noticed the pain will increase and then I seem to pass very small clots when I urinate. So with all said it looks like the ablation was not successful and I will move towards the hysterectomy. Is there any advice from this topic that may be helpful; are there any other issues that any of you have had after the hysterectomy. I'm concerned about things like endometriosis etc.  

Hi Staci,

I'm sorry to see another person go through the ramifications associated with the ablation. :(

I have not had issues since the hysterectomy which was just over a year ago..... but with that said, I didn't have issues with the ablation until 4-5 years post ablation.

I had the hysterectomy at age 45 - I opted to keep my ovaries and cervix. I do have spotting as my cervix is still in tact and I have not had many menopausal symptoms. I do have issues with bowel movements in that they are difficult (but I'm not certain that is related to the hysterectomy.

If these are the pains that many on this forum have seemed to have post ablation, I would encourage you to move forward with the hysterectomy as the pains did not diminish, in fact, they got much worse. My first one I wrote off to being a kidney stone the second, third, fourth, fifth months got much worse and the pains finally never went away each month. The ONLY sign was that they could see pockets of fluid in my uterus with a vaginal ultrasound.... no one knew what the pockets were until I went to Mayo Clinic and they were identified as blood pockets that had no where to go because my cevix had scarred shut from the ablation.

Many doctors were extremely hesitant to blame the ablation but I was lucky to find one who could explain it and had seen it happen to other women in the Minneapolis area.

I am relieved to report that all is well after the long recovery (full 6 weeks) from the hysterectomy, I have no pain. One thing I will let you know is that although they did the scope to remove the uterus, it was a painful recovery. Somehow I had it in my head that since they were doing a less invasive procedure to remove the uterus, I would recover quickly. This was simply not true. If they allow you to stay in the hospital overnight, TAKE ADVANTAGE of that. The pain was far worse one day post surgery than it was when I woke up from surgery. Be patient with the recovery. You get ONE CHANCE to recover.... there are no do-overs! You can really over-do it and set yourself back. Hang up your superwoman cape and just be patient.

Goodluck and keep us posted.

Quote:

staci wrote:

Hi Staci,

Goodluck and keep us posted.

Thank you for your reply.
Today's appt was helpful. I saw a new doctor that didn't waste time; he did an ultra sound in the office instead of sending me somewhere else. The exam and ultra sound showed a rather large fibroid tumor in the uterus and showed the lining was growing back since the ablation. It also showed a 1.5 inch cyst on the right ovary. He said there are concerns that there may be endometriosis present as well. He confirmed the comments that I've read in the previous posts from other women concerning ablation. One thing he mentioned is that ablation success goes down when fibroid tumors are present. My previous doctor did not state this and told me that he did not see any tumors during the regular exam or during the ablation. So I am going ahead with the hysterectomy and he will also remove the one ovary. Once I am under anesthesia he will first try the scope and if not successful he will have to make an incision like a C Section. My biggest concern now is the recovery time; I have the surgery on the 10th and I start teaching on the 3rd of August. Hopefully that will be sufficient.

I'm glad you had a good appointment and got some answers. May your pain be light for the next week while you wait for surgery. I'm glad they got you in quickly.
I don't know your family situation but if you have little kids, plan for HELP... especially the first couple weeks. I recommended this site: hystersisters.com (possibly order the belly band - very helpful). You will most certainly want to plan for absolutely LOW KEY until you need to work. All bodies recover differently. I hope your recovery goes smoothly!

i also had the nova sure ablation done about two years ago and for a whole year in a half i had no Periods but often had the same cramps as before i had the ablation done but last year around the same time i had my ablation done my periods started back, and i'm scared i may have become pregnant in my tubes because they also tied my tubes as well but my breast are sore, i'm tired gaining weight oh and my periods last every month for four days this time last month it only lasted a day am i crazy or is my mind playing tricks on me cause i'm thinking it would be nice if i could have another little one anyone else had this or became pregnant after the ablation

I know how you feel, my doctor acts like she doesn't believe me and its so frustrating and costly I might add ..Ive been to the emergency room twice since the surgery which was in may of this year...the medicine she prescribes doesn't help at all..I may have to try and find another doctor.....

I had the surgery; difficult recovery but now I am 8 weeks out and feel amazing. They took everything but one ovary. I still have the normal menopausal symptoms even though blood work came back normal. I am now looking for natural ways to diminish these menopause symptoms; I do not want to start replacement therapy. My mom started losing her hair due to replacement therapy so I do not want to take the chance. Hope all is well with everyone. BTW - I am a member of Hystersisters and recommend that to all who are having issues. Thanks for that recommendation.

stjohnson wrote:

mnfun2bme wrote:

Hi Stjohnson... so glad you survived the surgery and are feeling well. It's odd to remember the pain you encountered prior to surgery... but there is always one part of me who thanks the Lord every day that I do not feel that pain anymore.... (and that's really saying something from someone like me who never formally prays!)
I'm glad you found peace and help in the Hystersisters website. It was helpful to compare your recovery and find others who might be strugging through the same part of recovery. That surgery is certainly not an easy recovery for sure!
Hopefully you settle in on a natural method of diminishing your menopausal symptoms. If so, do share!

Thanks for sharing!

Don't hesitate.... find another doctor..... and another and another if need be.

I too have been experiencing your pain - my doctor advised me to deal with it using meds - this month I finally went for a pelvic ultrasound with a rod and it was finally seen that I had something called Adenomyosis - please look into this as your possible issue and talk to your doctor or a new one about it!

I had an endometria ablation exactly a month ago. I spotted everyday up until I got my period. Both period since then have been very heavy. I am experiencing cramping (which I never had) and bleeding that's heavier than I ever had. I return to the doctor this coming Monday and I'm curious as to what I should ask him. He's been brushing off my syptoms as my body adjusting but even prescription pain medicine is not helping. I already experience excrutiating pain from a stomach illness I have called sphincter of oddi dysfunction but this on top of that is too much for any one person to bare.