The problem you are suffering from when combining certain seafoods and acohol is a toxic histamine reaction. Some people that have a shortage of, or an insufficient activity of the enzymes needed to deal with histamine in their bodies, can react badly, even violently to a meal of histamine-rich foods. These foods include certain seafoods (most usually shellfish), certain fungi / mushrooms, MSG, etc., etc.

Worse yet, is the fact that this reaction can also occur with foods, food products, and /or spirts which promote an increase of histamine within the body. There are a number of these foods which can act to trigger a reaction and these trigger foods vary from person to person. The most common trigger appears to be alcohol.

The “why” to all this is the fact that histamine is a critical matabolite and neurotransmitter which activates to defend against foreign cell matter in our bodies. The trigger foods cause the body to release potentially dangerous and even dangerous amounts of histamine. Also, alcohol and acetaldehyde dehydrogenase are important to dealing with the amounts of histamines in our bodies. So alcohol, especially in people that lack the enzyme acetaldehyde dehydrogenase, causes these people to be particularly susceptable to a reaction since drinking alcoholic spirits stimulates the prodution of histamine in the body.

My son-in-law reacts to shellfish, combined with alcohol.  He has seen an allergist who has confirmed that this combination can cause this. His reaction is hives and anaphylaxis (difficulty breathing, etc.).  He has not experienced the vomiting, etc.  All his allergy test were negative, BUT the allergist is going to try him with actual pieces of shrimp, lobster and crab.  He advised that sometimes you can have a negative response to the man-made serums that they typically test with.  Something for those out there who tested negative as well.  He goes this week for the "real" tests.  

That's hives. I get a horrible reaction when I eat shellfish with hard alcohol. I don't notice this as much with beer, but anytime I eat fish with a hard liquor I break out in hives and become swollen.

I can eat shellfish with no problems, and I can cansume all forms of alchohol with no problem as well.  However the combination of Shellfish (Lobster, oysters, shrimp) and BEER, and I am nauseus and in immense stomach pains within the hour.  This summer, I had a beer and one oyster, and I vommitted for 30 minutes.  I CAN consume liquor such as whiskey or wine with shellfish, without any problems!

Go figure...

Same with me as far as I can have te separate but not combined. I can drink vodka with no issues and I can eat shrimp with no issues. The combination cause a reaction within minutes. Dizziness, seeing double, vomiting and hard time breathing. Be careful! The first time was bad, but the second time was worse!

thankyou for t his. I have never been given a true answer, but this makes sense. I have had this for years, each time it gets worse than the last. Just the other week, I had a crab cake and 1/2 glass of red wine and started to get that "feeling" I was scared and made my husband drink the rest of the wine. Each experience is worse than the previous, in a very bad way. The last very bad episode was last year (Jan of 2012) Usually it is more than 2 glasses or more of wine with combination of seafood....the feeling is extreme over powering nausua, vomiting, almost to the black out stage, feels like you have had 5 bottle of wine to yourself......I would love for someone to research this in depth. Keep the posts rolling in....

I read several replies over 6 pages and it appears that most of the commenters , if not all, suffer from combining alcohol and sea food. I must have an albino like problem. I am 75 and have developed aggravating allergies in the last 5 years. I seem to get itching hives from milk products, meat products with all sorts of food items like peanuts, bacon, pizza, grape jelly, sweetner -not sugar and on and on. Today I started with an English muffin with peanut butter on it. We went to a wine tasting and seafood festival. I ate maybe 20 delicious fried scallops, 3 or 4 bad french fries and 3 fried clams.

Within 15 minutes, I started itching so I took 2 benedryls. 15 minutes later came the diahrrea. Got home in an hour or so itching in many places. I fixed myself a heavy vodka and club soda and within 20 minutes - all itching was gone. This works every time and I told my doctor and he smiled because the MDs obviously can't tell people to take booze for hives, but it seems to be my only solution. My self imposed limit is 3 shots a day, but I can't seem to get relief from Benedryl alone. I found this website by typing in " alcohol vs food allergies ". I would like to hear from anyone who finds alcohol to be a solution instead of a prevaricator.

This has happened 3 times to my girlfriend in the past 2 years.  Once with crab, violent vomitting, passing out.. A milder version of this with shrimp and then last night, the most violent episode yet.  This happens to her with any type of alcohol, Beer, wine, liquor, it doesn't seem to matter.  Last night it was oysters, fish and red wine.  Shortly after finishing dinner, but before we left the resturaunt, she litterally passed out at the table, I had to carry her to our limo which she promptly vomitted in.  Like a previous post, the seafood/shellfish seem to super intensify the effects of the alcohol.  She had a total of 3 drinks in about four hours but it was like she'd had 20 drinks and after the onset of the symptoms she has no recollection of what happened.  It's helpful to know that others have the same problem and after having to witness this reaction for myself, you all have my sympathy.  Thanks for posting.

Ok! So I finally confirm what has been happening to me when I combine the two!! I have experienced this with any tipe of seafood! After this weekend It dawned on on me that I have experienced the vomiting and diarrhea only when I combine both! This time it was really bad with dizziness and blackout episose, just a couple of minutes after we left the restaurant. Very scary. I will certainly stop from mixing these again!!!

I am so happy I found this post...I have never "researched" this but it has happened to me quit a few times, although I never put two and two together. To clarify...I can drink all types of wine with no problems and I can eat all types of shellfish with no problems (the only known allergy I have is to Augmentin/Amoxicillin) but when I combine the two I have a very bad vomiting spell, followed by a headache. Recently I attended a wedding, I was drinking Chardonnay and had a couple of fried oyster nacho appetizers. Before the wedding was over I started to feel nauseous, by time we made it home I ran straight to the toilet, I proceeded to violently vomit for the next three hours, when I woke up the next day I had a headache that Advil would only dull, the headache continued into the next day as well. I recall this has happened with wine and oysters before but also with a margarita and seafood enchiladas. I will have to be more cautious in the future, avoiding all shellfish while consuming alcohol or visa versa.

Twice when I had seafood or fish and red wine, I stated blacking out.  I also became sick to my stomach,  The first time was at a wedding, I had sea bass and had 2 glasses of merlot.  The second time I was at a seafood restaurant and had shrimp and merlot.  I assume it is red wine that caused this reaction, but will not take a chance with any alcohol and seafood.  It was very scary.

Same problem here. 3 times in total, twice with Calamari and once with prawns. Drank One beer about two hours afterwards, then spent the next 8 hours vomiting and wretching whilst having 999 dialled in and my finger on the call button... Horrendous. I read somewhere that it is something to do with an intolerance / inability to absorb Histamines, that your body thinks its been poisoned. Not exactly sure of the specifics, seems I'm not the only one though so a comprehensive answer would be nice. Have to avoid shellfish altogether just to be safe, as I'm sure you all appreciate there's no way I'm chancing going through that again :(

My 82 year old mother is in the hospital, as I write this, and the doctors are all 'pooh-poohing' my suggestion that it may be related to the combination of shrimp and beer that she had for dinner. We had just finished dinner during which she had only 1 beer. She was speaking and acting normally until dessert. She did not have the 'really drunk' reaction that others have described. Suddenly, she started sweating profusely, said she felt really hot, and then kind of zoned out. She did not respond to me and then passed out, sitting right at the table. She was unconscious for about a minute. The restaurant called 911 and she was taken to a local hospital, where, after confirming that she had no seizure history, no diabetes and no stroke symptoms, they decided that it 'must have been' a cardiac episode. They did an echocardiogram on her heart, chest xray, tons of blood work, 24 hour cardiac monitor and ultrasound of the carotid artery. All was normal. She never experienced any pain, shortness of breath, vomiting/diarrhea or hives. Within 2 hours, she was perfectly fine and normal. She has had this happen 3x before, all involving shrimp and beer. She frequently eats shrimp without alcohol and has no problem, and has drunk beer with other non-seafood and had no problem. All 4x the same symptoms occur - within a few minutes of finishing dinner, she gets very hot, sweaty, very pale and passes out. We never put all of the pieces together until this last time. Unfortunately, she had to endure an unnecessary and expensive stay in the hospital. I am sure that she will not eat seafood with beer again - she will remember this experience (even if she has no memory at all of the actual episode....the last thing she remembers is feeling hot). I am happy to have found this information because it validates that we are not imaging it, even though the doctors looked at us like we were crazy.

I have had wine with seafood and shellfish a lot of times and have had no reaction, but if I combine alcohol and shellfish, I get dizzy and throw up and have to go to bed.

I believe my liver has trouble processing alcohol so your comment about the cholesterol in shellfish and the demand that puts on the liver makes sense.

Thank you.

I'm so glad I found this string.  I can have all of the shellfish I want, I can drink all the white wine (or other alcohol) with shellfish I want, but if I eat shellfish with Red Wine, I'll wake up in the middle of the night violently ill.  I was once told that it was the sulfites in red wine mixed with the iodine in shellfish that may be the culprit.  But, I was doing some research and in fact Red Wine contains less sulfites than White Wine so I'm at a loss as to why this happens?  Maybe it's the Tanin's in red wine? I can't seem to figure out so if anyone has any suggestions let me know!