I'm another person who has an adverse reaction to combining seafood with alcohol. It is such a relief to know I'm not alone. Every time I eat shellfish and have a glass of wine or beer, I get horrible diarrhea and sometimes severe vomiting. Depending on the amount of alcohol consumed, I am ill as long as 48 hours. I've had this problem for as long as I can remember. Only thing I know to prevent the reaction is to avoid combining alcohol with seafood. This happens with shellfish and sometimes with fin fish as well. Not sure why some fin fish seems okay, while others cause the reaction. For example, wild Spanish mackerel and farm-raised steel-head trout make me very sick if I drink wine, while wild pompano and grouper do not. This seems really weird to me. Wish someone had an explanation.

I am allergic to the combination of shrimp and red wine - blow up like a blowfish! Can consume both by themselves without a problem, but in combination - not good!

2 x little prawns/shrimps on 2x pieces of sushi.
1 hour passes, I drink a Corona.
Another hour passes. I'm on my knees in pain with stomach cramps, migraine, and vomiting like crazy.
I feel almost as bad today, but after a severe session of Diarrhoea, I'm finally starting to feel better. I can walk without my head pounding and the cramps have almost gone.

I'm so glad I found these posts by you all..it's a relief to know now why this was happening to me.

I'm going to be sooo careful not to mix seafood and alcohol ever again!

As i write this on Sunday,I am still not back to normal. Friday night oysters 6 of them a few Canadian Club and ginger ales. This is not the first time i have had a reaction like this. I had oysters before no prob..i love them but when mixed with alcohol i become very ill.

Never never again will i mix the two!

It's interesting that so many people have had these experiences yet more solid information on this isn't available. (I understand how doctors might say it's just a correlation--where you're already sensitive to one or the other maybe and it's just a bad combo, but obviously it's prevalent and deserving of more research!) Personally, all I know is that I can eat shellfish and I can drink alcohol, but when I combine the two, there's major issues.

My first major bout was in SF. I had tasty clam chowder and a spicy margarita an hour later. After the drink, I instantly felt a buzz much stronger than what one drink usually does to me, and next thing I know I'm bent over with intense cramps that developed into diarrhea and later, vomiting. All I could do was attempt to sleep it off, but when I was still throwing up hours later in the middle of the morning, I went to ER thinking it was shellfish poisoning. I received no answers--just insane medical bills! Since then, there's been quite a few times where I've gone out and had seafood and drinks and went home feeling like the alcohol hit me harder than usual. Then, I end up with the sharp cramps and diarrhea. (But I never connected the two because there's also plenty of times where I have sushi and saki and feel fine, hence why I think it's the shellfish in particular with alcohol...since I don't always eat shellfish.) Today, it finally hit me after I googled "shellfish and alcohol" and found this blog--the only helpful info. online! Earlier, I had linguini with mussels, clams, etc. in a white wine sauce along with a single glass of white wine. The wine gave me a surprising buzz and when I got home I felt extremely fatigued and dizzy. When it wore off, the stabbing cramps followed by diarrhea started in--just like SF but not as extreme! (So I know I'm really starting to repeat myself now, but I guess I'm just amazed I never realized the problem before, and want to share my not-so-pleasant story--haha--since so many others have had the same issue!)

I have had this happen to me, and have heard through the grape vine, that it has to do with the higher iodine levels in such seafood as shellfish that does not react well with alcohol. Since my experience with it, my rule is no seafood with alcohol, and no alcohol with seafood. Better safe than sorry.

Thank you so much for this information!

I had a severe reaction to red wine and seafood. Terrible vomiting and stomach pain. I couldn't figure out what happened. I had this same reaction once before. Now I know what to avoid, Thank you!

Has anyone found what could offset the wine/seafood combination? An herb, or lots of water before or???? I cannot eat lobster or scallops with white wine. I get a terrible headache, like a migraine, and an upset stomach. When I tell people about it they look at me like I'm crazy. Gald to hear other's have the same issue. Wish I knew how to combat it.

Me and my boyfriend went to the beach last weekend and he had a seafood platter with shrimp, baked salmon, a crab cake, scallops, and we had calamari as an appetizer. After that we walked the strip went to get Margaritas and he also had a Grand Marnier and Pineapple Mixed Drink. He has a very high tolerance and I have seen him drink wwwwwaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy more than that. he had two beers earlier that day. We drove back to the hotel and he was fine. About 5 minutes after he sat down, he vomited like 5 times in less than 2 minutes. Then he passed out. He woke up about 2 hours later and vomited 2 more times. He woke up the next morning with the worst headache that he says he has ever had. Now that I see this I believe it was the food/liquor mix because I also had seafood, but I only had a few sips of the drink. I will inform him to never do that again!!!

Last night 5 of us went out for all you can eat crab. They sold out, so we got lobster instead. I havent had lobster in years. We had a few pitchers of beer with the lobster. An hour later, once I arrived at home, I instantly ran to the bathroom to vomit. We all ate/drank the same thing so it couldn't have been food poisoning, and I didnt break out in hives or show signs of allergies. Would this combination make one sick if they're not used to it? I'm also thinking maybe too much sodium in one dose? Help!

I am glad i checked this up having had a very rough evening of continuous vomiting and the trots. I have only recently started eating mussells (ready cooked from super market). The first time i tried, my wife cooked them and i had no problem at all. However, the second time I ate them I later followed up with some beer. After only half a glass of beer and 15 mins into my DVD I felt extreme nausia. This was quickly followed by 4-5 hours of vomiting and diahhorea. The second time round was different in that i had drank beer the night before and had a hangover the next day. I then ate mussels (again, super market precooked) only to find that a few hours later i was violently sick but with less severe diahhorea.

The comment "So, I am thinking it is a combination of alcohol intolerance and stress on the liver causing a high level of toxins in the body. I also wonder why the medical community has not recognized the combined effect of alcohol and shellfish. " relates to my experience. i have noticed my tolerance to alcohol become less and less (4 tins of beer is now enough to give me a hangover) and i guess when the liver has too much to contend with, the other protective mechanisms kick in- the body needs to purge the toxins in other ways and often means several uncomfortable hours were every orifice is employed in the task.

Either way, i am glad i found these posts!

I am so glad that I found this website. This has haapened to me twice now. After a couple drinks and then eating 4-5 shrimp I became violently ill. It happens so fast! The 1st time (over a year ago) I thought I had eaten bad shrimp. This last time I knew there was a connection & looked online. I had only 2-3 glasses of white wine (over several hours) & 5 shrimp. I was throwing up, dizzy, felt very intoxicated and passed out. Luckily I had a good friend who happens to be a doctor with me who took me home! :-) Thanks for the information!

I get a reaction as soon as i mix prawns with wine , i used to eat them all the time without problems , so now avoid mixing the two together , unfountunatley the steak i ordered last night was cooked together with my wifes sea food platter , my doctor thinks its an intolerance to ammonia , sulphites which as used to preserve the colour of seafood add the suphites in the wine , i think she has got a point .

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that you may have a sulfite allergy, as some others have mentioned. I have some of the same problem as the rest of you, but also some more traditional allergic responses, and have gone through testing with an allergist. Though not conclusive at this point (still have more testing to do), my doctor suspects that it is a "sulfite overload" caused by the combination of shellfish and alcohol. You might want to get tested There is no treatment though - you just need to avoid the combination and might want to consider carrying an Epipen in case of a severe reaction.

I went out for new years eve last night and ate cocktail shrimp and champagne in the limo. I have been super sick ever since. I thought it was a hang over but i didn't drink that much, and I only ate about 3 pieces of shrimp. I didn't get sick till a few hours later, but it has been really bad. I come to find out from my mom that my grandma had the same allergy. I had no idea. Im super sad, and super sick. This is awful.