one hr after eating shrimp and drinking half a bottle of red wine i get red face and my blood pressure drops to 84/48.

i drop on the floor and wait until bp goes up.   it takes about 15-20 min

i had extensive shrimp allergy tests ------no allergy to shrimp alone!!!!!

no problems w alcohol consumption 

but together -------i ended in er twice since i fainted due to low blood pressure

it took me a while to understand what caused it

scary stuff

anybody had the same experience?

I'm so glad I found this post... i've felt like everyone, including my doctor (gastroenterologist) thinks I'm NUTS... I am 47, have eaten seafood and drank alcohol all my adult life... this past summer, was out with my husband and daughter, had one martini, oysters, fish dinner, came home had one vodka tonic and 20 minutes later, black out drunk, don't remember anything, next day vomit for 8 hours... thought it was Bad oyster since i was the only one who had them, two weeks later, out at the beach, had two beers, clams, and shrimp, black out drunk again -- NOW i have drank, all my life, never issues... - wake up 4am vomiting 8 hours on and off... this time chalk it up to not eating alot for two days then having a drink before i ate..... month later go on vacation, all-inclusive, seafood dinner, drinks non stop so....4am wake up Vomitting and spent 24 hours sick and unable to really eat or drink on the whole vacation...

next AND LAST time, out in Atlantic city with my sister and our kids, sooo not drinking a lot, maybe two or three drinks over the course of four hours,,, but I forgot and there was seafood salad as appetizer -- I Blacked out by time we got to hotel room and vomitted for TWELVE hours the next day...  

saw gastro, tell him whats happening, so he says, stop drinking vodka!!! or stop eating fish!! an endoscopy shows nothing by the way, 

soo i've eaten fish since then WITHOUT alcohol NO reaction... I've drank (no vodka though, too scared, lol)  and NO reaction.... I WILL NEVER eat seafood and drink in the same night.  Going with the previous message of Histamine intolerance... AND printing the post out to show my Gastro, SHAME on them for acting like we're crazy indulgent Drinkers!  

Again, I've enjoyed eating and drinking my whole life and it seems NUTS that even a gastroenterologist would have NO information on Histamine reactions...!

PS I just found the Low Histamine Chef after clicking on more links for Histamine intolerance from the other posts here.... anyway, they are one Facebook, they say people with these reactions can be Gluten Sensitive (i am) and have lactose issues (i do, but NOT all the time)... the plot thickens, lol

Hi i also went to seafood restaurant lastnight and ate lobster and crab, along with 2 small glasses of champayne. I was fine alnight untill i tried to get up the next morning only to feel like i had a really bad hangover that made me feel sick,and was sick. I had to go toilet 3 times within half an hour because had the most upset tummy.Thought i was dying as i could not lift my head up. So i stayed in bed for another 6 hours after finally getting everything out my system which everway i could ..I woke up then feeling 90% better. After reading your replys I will no longer eat crab,lobster again. I am also ceiac but i do not think that this attack of sickness is related.

Thought I was going to DIE! Didn't know there was a connection until a friend mentioned this had happened to her friend...and while in the hospital from it (severe dehydration) her Dr. said she had an allergic reaction to alcohol and fish combo! I thought I had food poisoning until hearing this! After all, it was just like the only "other time" I had food poisoning, just a lot worse this time. Well, guess what, both times I had hard alcohol with fish...ugh!

Episode 1: A year and a half ago, fish at a French restaurant...a white fish, not shellfish. A very strong martini, so strong I could barely drink 1/4 of it. 2 hrs later cold sweat, dizzy, nauseated, can barely get to a toilet...both ends going and stomach/intestinal cramps. Sick until it is all purged, slept, woke up with a weird hangover feel, yet I had barely anything to drink?

Episode 2: Last week... I wanted to DIE!! Started with a large Sapporo and about 30 min later 8 of us started ordering sushi rolls. Whole table is sharing, all kinds of sushi, crab and shrimp included. I have no problem. Nor have I ever had issues with beer (1) and Sushi combo in past. But tonight is a special night... We go to my house 2hrs later for Cinnamon Whiskey shots. Within an hour I have severe pains in intestines and dizziness. Within minutes of this feeling I race to bathroom thinking oh man, I must be sick? Both ends are going, barfing like crazy in a trashcan while sitting on toilet, delirious, begging to go to hospital. Hubby passes it off as too much whiskey. No way I say, this is different, this is crazy, I felt like I drank 3x more than I did...I couldn’t even hold my head up!! Sweating, spinning, heart racing, feeling like I have 100lbs on my shoulders, my bowels are like water...this is crazy!! I vomited violently from Tuesday 11:30pm until 3:30 pm the next day!! I couldn't drink a capful of water and hold it down, not even my own spit! Thursday I was still nauseated with occasional dizzy spells! I lost 4lbs in 24hrs, and was dehydrated to boot. No headache thankfully. None of my friends got sick. I was really pissed my hubby didn't take me to the hospital. I remember a couple times waking up trying to catch my breath, like I was forgetting to breathe!! 

I do not usually order fish at restaurants. I LOVE sushi and sashimi, and have mostly had tea or a beer with it. I have had shrimp and fish tacos in the past with a margarita no problem, but never full strength alcohol. I can't have shrimp while pregnant (face swells up) but can when not prego, no problem, no swelling?? I eat raw Ahi 2-3x a month with a beer or a mixed drink, no problem. For me it has to be certain fishes and strong alcohol?? I am not going to risk it…it may be worse if it happens again. So glad I found this site!!

Fish and hard liquor, never been sicker :/

Oh I can so relate, I flew to Toronto to a Pink concert this past Monday and before the show we had dinner in a very classy restaurant. I ordered the lobster risotto and drank 2-3 glasses of red wine. 15 mins later we walked to the venue, grabbed a drink and headed to our seats. I no sooner sat down I broke out into a burning sweat and my stomach started turning. I felt very weak and drunk although I wasn't and very disoriented. I made it outside we're I vomited violently and kept falling in and out of consciousness. My heart rate dropped making breathing difficult. I was brought to the hospital via ambulance where I was put on an IV and given a shot of Gravol...This was the scariest thing I have ever gone through, I thought I was going to die. I was released 3 hours later but missed the concert. Damn had I known about this deadly combination I would have had the burger... I'm out $1,000.00 because I was uninformed.

Yes just this past Monday night...Had lobster risotto and two glasses of red wine and ended up in ER on a drip and a shot of Gravol for the nausea. I felt as I couldn't breath because my heart rate dropped so low, felt hammered as I would have drank the whole bottle of wine. passed out a few times and vomited profusely for hours. Deadly combination...

a couple of years ago I discovered that I get horrendous headaches and even vomitting and dizziness with seafood and wine or mixed drinks.  However, sometimes I forget!  Dummy me! Tonight it was one glass of red wine, 3 pieces of a sushi order that had crawfish  and tuna and roe in it and then a Cosmo and 3 pot stickers. That is it.  I am now sitting here with a horrible headache and am hot. I have medicated with a nap, norco and benedryl and it won't go away.

stupid me! I love fish and wine and can eat separately, but never together, not even a few bites! If anyone has discovered a way to medicate through the severe headaches, please share because it is debilitating When I forget.  I don't do it often, but every now and again....

My hubby is in severe pain now- bad headache due to calamari and wine combination last night. Can anyone tell me any immediate treatment, please... or should I call ambulance.

I gave him.Zertec ( an antihistamines) after wriying my previous post. He is havinh a dound sleep since then - almost gor four hours.

I, too, am so glad that I found this post! I have been experiencing this same thing when I drink white wine (pinot grigio) and any kind of fish. I went out this past NYE and had a wonderful dinner of mahi and 2 glasses of pinot. Went to a party, drank plenty of water in between a couple of more glasses of wine....also ate a couple of shrimp cocktail and stuffed mushrooms. Went to bed at 1:00am feeling fine and woke up violently sick for more than 30 hours.....2 1/2 hour drive home was brutal. (good for my husband....I didn't criticize his driving :) as I was holding my head and trying not to vomit.
I do get migraines and have medicine for this...but could not take because I could not swallow. I have also been in this distress when fish has not been involved....but alcohol always has been.
Funny thing is....sometimes I can have 3-4 glasses of wine over the course of the evening and nothing happens. Am going to dr this month and will mention. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I have had about 10 cases of severe food poisoning or so I thought, until we discoved I had a very bad reaction to red wine and shellfish. I can eat all shell fish and drink red wine but If I mix the two I get so sick. Vomiting and Diarrhea every 15mins for 6-8 hours.

Let me just say, it is a relief to hear everyone's unfortunate reactions. 

I had two incidents and put two and two together and finally decided to see if the combo was the cause.

1st incident I had an appetizer of Calamari and shortly after 2 beers with friends at home. Not even an hour later I was dizzy and disoriented, and dryheaving in the bathroom.

I couldn't figure why, unless the food had been bad. But no, I was fine in the morning.

2nd incident was around this last Thanksgiving. I went to dinner with my mom and husband to a crab house. I orders the stuffed shrimp and drank one "mardi gras" drink. It wasn't even 8 o'clock pm and I passed out in the car on the 20 minute ride home. 

Got home, got inside, and passed out again on the bed. I wasn't drunk, very very dizzy and disoriented. My husband woke up again moments later, still dizzy, visited with my mom for a while and went to bed. I woke up at 3:00 am to be sick...again dry heaving, only once and back to bed.

People I told this story to said that maybe my drink had been drugged. But I couldn't figure why someone would want to drug me at a family restaurant while I was with my mom and husband? 

So I'm glad I'm not alone in this matter and will not be mixing the two together ever again. I will continue to enjoy seafood OR alcohol but SEPERATELY! Thanks for sharing your stories everyone.

Thanks Gordon, that exact thing happened to me for the first time this past weekend. One glass of white wine with shellfish around 8pm. next morning the worst headache I've ever had, then vomiting. I've had food poisoning before and though it was that but no one else from my group got sick after eating the same thing. I was finally able to keep some crackers down at about 8pm (24 hours later). I didnt know what to think till a friend told me that her Mother has a sensitivity to alcohol and shellfish. Your post was dead on. I can have either separately but I won't ever mix the 2 again.

I, also, am so very happy to have found this thread. I have dealt with this on numerous occasions (probably about 5-6 times) for the past 4 years and only after sitting down and actually thinking about it, did I make the connection. My reactions primarily come from bi-valve critters and any sort of alcohol. Mussels or clams and a libation and I am flying high (overly drunk on whatever alcohol I consume) for an hour or two and then vomitting my body weight for the next 24-36 hours. After reading almost all of the entries on this page, I didn't feel like I was crazy or strange and had a better idea of what was going on. It's so great to feel informed. :) I have also read that the reaction comes from an over abundance of histamine. I also deal with seasonal allergies and it makes sense to me that my body is already so sensative to histamine and then it is inundated with even more from the shellfish and wine. Poor body.

Now that I know, I have been a happy camper. :) Thank you all.