Last nite i ate diver scallops and ordered a lemon drop martini, 1/2 way thru i felt so drunk and dizzy i had bed spins all night praying that i wouldnt vomit and then i was so dizzy abs exhausted all dsy. I realized that this happened to me a couple of years ago when i ate sushi and had a lemon drop. I blamed it on the drink but now after last nites ontense reaction, i think i have an allergy

I am so relieved to have found this website! New Year's Eve - I had one small gin and tonic, and a couple of glasses of white wine with about 24 oysters. After about 30/40 minutes, my head is spinning, slurred speech, cannot walk straight. It was like I was totally drunk, and yet had only had a few glasses. Ended up blacking out a few times, then took myself off to bed. Woke up still dizzy and nauseous the next day - but no "hangover" or headache as such. Just a very low feeling and like my head was full of cotton wool.

It was a horrible feeling and it came on so quickly. I have eaten oysters and wine many, many times together. I love oysters and all shellfish. I only had the G&T because someone brought it with them as a gift, so we tried it before dinner.

I think there should be more awareness of this issue. Does it effect everyone or just some people are more sensitive to it?

Thinking back now, I had a similar reaction when we drank gin cocktails and then ate a morille mushroom dish for dinner a while ago. I was dizzy with slurred speech and also felt awful the next day.

Thank you for all your posts, they were really helpful and reassuring

I've had 5 bouts of this reaction over the past 20 years and this last one prompted me to do some research and I came upon your post. I typically have "rode out" the nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach cramps, headache and lower back pain, but this time, once I was able to keep down a small amount of water, I took one Immodium and then one ibuprofen. I felt much better about an hour later.

Wow! Can't believe that I am reading the comments! Wish I had known about this a couple of years ago! I have been trying to figure out why the severe nausea and vomiting that is worsening over the years . I blamed it pn the shell fish. Looking back, it seems that red wine is worse. Are there any other foods to avoid with alcohol?

My reaction to clams and beer was very violent. I vomited until it turned into bile, lost my vision and couldn't walk. Thought I was going to die!  I guess I came pretty close. Will NEVER do that again!

I'm glad I found this post. I have been trying to figure it out for months. I had sangria and mix seafood platter the first time. My throat immediately starts swelling and I get really dizzy followed by a major headache. The second time I had shrimp cocktail and a few glasses of wine I had the same reaction but I broke out into some type of hives and it has taken over two months for the hives to go away.

I have also been having reactions but pinned it down to salmon and alcohol. After eating both in the same night, I develop a full-body rash.  Wondering what was going on....nice to see I am not alone!

I sound like the rest of you in that it has taken me some time to figure out what the problem is.  The first time this happened, about 40 years ago, I thought I had gotten some bad oysters.  Fast forward some years when I was on a trip to Peru.  Had a mixed drink while waiting for dinner.  Ordered the seafood dish.  Within a short time, I was so ill I couldn't walk.  Literally spent the night on the bathroom floor.   Several times since then, I have gotten the same symptoms, but didn't connect the dots because I can eat any seafood, and drink any drink, no problems.  After this weeks episode, I finally decided to check things out online and see if there was any information regarding mixing alcohol/seafood.  Had had a little shrimp dip and sipped Pino Grigio, which began the nasty process again.  Now I could isolate it and reflect on the past years when I had gotten so ill.  Interestingly, same combo...fish and booze.  This one was a bad one.  Started out so dizzy I could barely function, followed by a full 12 hours throwing up, etc.  Now, on day four I am still dizzy and it feels like all my ribs are broken.  I am so thankful for this site!  NEVER again!!

Thought I was about to die...  Ate sushi (tuna) as an apetizer with a vodka and club soda while waiting for our dinner guests.  Not a big drinker, so nursed another drink about an hour later.  Friends joined us and we ordered dinner.  Three hours in, started a third drink with my meal (steak) and wammo... it hit me like a ton of bricks.  One minute I was coherent and having a wonderful conversation, the next I literally couldn't speak.  The room was spinning.  My legs were weak.  I felt sick to my stomack.  It felt like I had gone from three drinks over three hours to thirty!  Passed out on the kitchen floor when I got back to the house.  Woke up and still felt "drunk."  Upset stomach all day.  Thought it was food poisoning or as if I'd been "roofied."  My twinsister informed me the exact same thing happened to her.  I'll never combine those again!

sounds like you having a histamine intolerance..!!!!!!

Go and see your allergist and make a blood test for it. I'm sensitive as well but I can handle it pretty easy with an dietary supplement called Daosin. It helps your body if you eat sth which contains histamine and avoids the allergic reaction. Just simple...! But you need to do the blood test to make sure you got it.

Best regards

I am allergic to shellfish, usual reaction is feeling wierd then potentially breaking out in hives after a couple of days. However, I ate a lobster dumpling 'by mistake' last friday after one drink (caipirnha).

By the time I got home, I had every symptom described in this column. Violently sick, to point of exhaustion, migraine, etc and too scared to take anything else except migraine medicine 12hrs later.

I have been out multiple times mixed drinks, mixed food in a buffet and been totally fine. So agree that in certain people this combination must be toxic, for me it only took one stupid dumpling and my body reacted like a depth charge hit it. Hope this helps

Histamine fish poisoning results from the consumption of inadequately preserved and improperly refrigerated fish. It resembles an allergic reaction but is actually caused by bacterially generated toxins in the fish's tissues.

Previous terms for histamine fish poisoning were scombroid fish poisoning, pseudoallergic fish poisoning, histamine overdose, or mahi-mahi flush. The term scombroid was used because the first fish species implicated in this poisoning were from the suborder Scombridae, which includes mackerel, tuna, marlin, swordfish, albacore, bonito, skipjack, and almost 100 other species (Scombridae is derived from the Greek word scombros, which means mackerel or tunny).
The term histamine fish poisoning is now considered more appropriate because many cases are from nonscombroid fish. Examples include mahi-mahi (dolphin fish), amberjack, herring, sardine, anchovy, and bluefish.

The fish species most commonly implicated in histamine toxicity are scombroid dark-meat fish (eg, tuna, mackerel, skipjack, bonito, marlin) and nonscombroid species, such as mahi-mahi (dolphinfish), amber jack, sardine, yellowtail, herring, and bluefish.

so you can see that not all fishes will cause this reaction

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Well,

seafood and alochol contains histamine, so it could be possible for having a histamine intolerance! For a diagnosis a simple blood test is enough. And "to get rid of", you still gonna have this intolerance but you can handle it, I would recommend Daosin. It's a dietary supplement for histamine intolerance and it helps you to avoid the allergic reaction and you can eat seafood and drink alcohol as much as you want! ;D (Anyway, it's probably better to drink not as much, it's not healthy anyway xD)

all of best!

This reaction has happened to me 5 times and the last being yesterday,
I had 1 mussel at 3:00 and then about 3-4 sips of Wine at 7:00. Within an hour I was again violently ill with vomiting and diarrhea. Worse than any sickness from drinking too much alcohol.
I'm done with seafood.
I can drink wine and eat shrimp however,but won't even be chancing that anymore

I always think it won't happen to me again. The only person who said his reaction could be possible was my allergist. However, she said she could see it happening as a reaction to wine, not beer. It doesn't happen everytime I have seafood and alcohol. I think I'm more sensitive to beers with higher yeast content. I never drink anything strong/dark with fish. Either way, I've had this reaction to salmon and beer, jambalaya and beer, cod and beer, and fish tacos and beer. You'd think I'd get the hint. This last experience was the worst though. Usually around 4-6am I get nausea and sweaty, then vomit several times and feel better. This time, my nausea continued until lunchtime, in which I finally vomited on an empty stomach (other than the dinner). Then all day, for 6-8 hours I had intense abdominal pain. Just has a smoothie and probiotics for breakfast. Wasn't hungry. Went to the bathroom several times, but still strong cramps. I'm not sure how I'll feel tomorrow, but I'm glad I'm not the only one this has happened to! Sea-food has a whole new meaning.