so im not the only one that gets a reaction to mixing alcohol and shellfish, my reactions and be fairly bad, if i mix the two within 40mins i can look like a cabbage patch doll my eyes swell and puff find it hard to breathe and normally pass out, i would love to know why this happens i can eat all the shellfish i want and drink like a fish but not together does anyone know wat causes it

I would recomend that anybody that has had a reaction to seafood alcohol get tested for allegies , since posting the last email i went to a allegist and have discoved that im allegic to shellfish and fish ! , my doctor thought that it could of been an intolerance to suphites , prawns are especially high and also some vines and if you are intolerant , this combanation can cause problems .

I have had lobster with alcohol before and I eat general seafood regularly with/or without alcohol. I had crab for I think the first time, just as I finished my meal with a glass of wine (rose) I didn't feel right. My stomach felt odd and so did I. After about 15mins I was short of breath with a tight feeling in my stomach and still difficulty breathing. I have no rashes or swelling but I am experiencing floods of pain every 20 or so minutes. No diahorriea and I have only been sick twice (but I made myself sick). I took an anti-histamine earlier in prep for hayfever season which may b why I did not experience any rashes, itching or swelling?

It's worrying because I have had lobster with wine before and been fine, I don't know if its just crab and wine for me and I know it wasn't bad crab as my boyfriend and I shared. I hope we get some answers because as someone mentioned earlier, shellfish is usually served with wine/champagne and particularly nice events/meals so not only would it be unpleasant, but highly embarassing and inconvienent!

Glad I found these posts, good to hear everyones experiences - though I hope it will be our last

My spouse has had the same thing happen. It took 4 or 5 "events" for us to put together that it was the combination of alcohol + seafood making her so violently ill. Unfortunately, we were on vacation 3 of those times. She can have seafood and she can have alcohol - but even the tiniest mixture of the 2, and she is vomiting & having diarrhea for 6-8 hours with general fatigue, headache and stomach ache for up to 24 hours after.

Has anyone considered whether or not alcohol lowers our resistance to a light seafood allergy? Has anyone suffered from the same reaction as seafood/alcohol combined when having eaten a hefty serving of seafood alone?

This is crazy.  I have had the same thing happen to me several times.  But  I thought it was shellfish and liquor combination.  Last night i found out its wine too.  I had 1 shrimp and a quarter of a piece of lobster tail and that was it for me. besides feeling totally intoxicated i had the sweats, diarrhea vomiting intense headache dizziness I felt like i was going to die!  Its just about 24 hours now and I am starting to feel better. UGH this has to be figured out!  It sucks that I cant eat shellfish and alcohol but it also sucks when you forget about the reaction and combine the two by mistake!

I can't believe I finally found people with the same reaction. Numerous times I would go out to eat and have red wine with shellfish and within 1 to 2 hurs of returning home I would start vomiting. This would continue until everything was out of my stomach. I didn't realize the first couple of times what was happening but finally put it all together. Now I don't touch red wine if I am having seafood. Never knew so many people had the same reaction.

I TO HAVE THE COMBINATION OF ALCOHOL AND SHELLFISH , NOT SEPARATELY INGESTED , REACTION . I GET AN INTENSE AND DIFFERENT STOMACH ACKE AND BREAK OUT IN ITCHY BUMPS ON MY UPPER TORSO , WITH HEADACHE AND FEELING DRIVEN TO STOP IT SOMEHOW  BUT NO CURE EXISTS .

COULD THIS BE SOME COMMON ANCESTRY ? OR BLOOD TYPE ? IS THERE ANY RESEARCH BEING OR HAS BEEN DONE?

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

GIANFRANCO FRONZI AUGUST /26 / 2011

My husband and I used to eat sushi regularly.  ABout 5 years ago he got very sick shortly after eating sushi. We thought it was bad sushi, it happened again, then with salmon.  He just thought he was allergic to fish and seafood.  He got tested for allergies 2 months ago and has NONE!  Then I found this blog and he tested the combination of alcohol and seafood.  First he ate fresh tuna and sea bass!  No reaction.  Then he had lobster, no reaction!  Sure it is a bummer that he cannot have alcohol with seafood, but we are sop excited to have fish and seafood back in our diet!  Tonight we go to eat sushi!  I cannot wait!  I would LOVE to know the science behind this.  There just isn't much out there on this topic.

I too have had the same reaction for the past couple years.  I first noticed it when I had 2 cosmos and some bang-bang shrimp at Bonefish.  My stomach churned all night.  The next time I remember I had wine and shrimp.  I then noticed in the past year I would get dizzy spells the following morning, like I wasn't altogether here, and I'm talking shellfish and maybe 2 glasses of wine for dinner.  Two nights ago, my husband made two large scallops and we had white wine for dinner.  I was violently vomitting about 4 hrs. later and diarreha too.  Could not even go to work the next day.  I guess it took me a few times to realize it's shellfish and any liquor or wine!

Had shellfish and wine lastnight WOW did I get sick within two hours. Saw your posts this AM and see I am not alone I will never do that again. seprate they dont bother me thank you for your post 

had same reaction last night had seafood app and two glasses of red wine . WOW I started to vomit within two hours. NEVER AGAIN

Very interesting posts.  Has anyone had a reaction involving difficulty breathing? At a party last night I had one glass of white wine and fried calamari as part of the appetizers.  About an hour later I started wheezing and had difficulty taking full breaths.  I assumed it might be the wine but I never reacted to any other wine like this.  I went home early and basically had a sleepless night just trying to prop myself up in a position so I could breathe.  I was aware that if it got any worse, I needed to get myself to an ER but it never crossed that line.  This morning I immediately went online to look this up and found these posts.  I will be very alert to these food and alcohol combinations in the future! 

Good Thread. I had the same thing with some margaritas and lobster. Everyone blamed the tequilla, but I know when I drink to much. This was not the same. I went to the doctor, he told me it was a reaction of the histamines in the foods. 10 Minutes after a Bendryl I was fine. Scary stuff! 

I, too, am very glad I found this thread.  I have spent the last hour trying to find some reason why I have been so very sick after a bowl of lobster bisque and one glass of white wine.  I have never been this sick due to a food related incident.    There are many theories, I guess, most talked about being sulfite sensitive (some people lack the enzyme that turns sulfites into sulfate in the the digestion process).  White wine is higher in sulfites than other alcohol.  

I am wondering if there are multiple factors that make a few people prime for the perfect train wreck.   Ethanol can increase the absorption of other food allergens.  So if there is a slight sulfite intolerance, consuming alcohol would increase the reaction due to increasing the amount being absorbed.

On one person's blog they wrote about their sulfite allergy getting worse with exposure.  Someone here mentioned an epi-pen.  WARNING: they contain sulfites as a preservative!!!