Couldn't find what you looking for?

TRY OUR SEARCH!

So glad I read this. It has happened to me twice...both with a combination of white wine and oysters. First time I thought I had a bad oyster. Had a couple of glasses of wine at a festival then a few oysters. Suddenly I was stumbling drunk, barely made it bad to the hotel and threw up all night with intense stomach pain. Thought I was dying. Then a couple of weeks ago we stopped for lunch. Had a few.....like three...cooked oysters. No problem. Then we drove to a winery and did a small tasting. I got extremely nauseous, dizzy and actually fainted. Ended up in the ER where they found nothing. Can eat other shellfish but just seems to be the oysters and wine combo. Never again.
Reply

Loading...

Someting very similar happened to me yesterday afternoon. Moderate amount of whiskey made me feel ok, but when i ate mussels right after i took liquor, i knew then something wasn't right. I literally have no memory what happened next after that, until i woke up in my bed, very nauseus. This thread gave me a bit comfort knowing im not alone.
Reply

Loading...

As I wrote a couple minuts before into another thread, you should try it with different food as well. Try to eat a tomato or sauerkraut. And if you get the same reaction as before you definetly should go to your allergist and tell him everything. All the symptoms, everything.

In my opinion it could be a histamine intolerance.. But I'm not a doc so pls see an allergist.

But if needed it can recommend Daosin

Reply

Loading...

I must be very sensitive! A small tin of tuna with salad at lunch then four hours later..no more than a couple sips of wine and I flared up in a deep red rash that rapidly moved down my chest. I felt hot like sunburn hot and my skin a bit itchy agitated like. Once I took an antihistamine I came right. I honestly can't remember when I've had seafood and alcohol together last, but I know separately I'm fine! Won't make that mistake again! Not nice!
Reply

Loading...

Oh I can imagine! sounds horrible if it felts like sunburned and stuff like that!...
Did you get a diagnosis so far? Becauce your symptoms are common with an histamine intolerance, maybe I'm guessing right?!
Well, you said you took an antihistamine and you became right, well that's what Daosin is doing. You take a cap right before you eat and avoids the allergic reaction.
Reply

Loading...

Thx I thought I had the flu & food poisoning..kept a journal and realized the seafood alcohol combo was the problem!
Reply

Loading...

Does anyone else have the Triad, where you are allergic to MSG, penicillin and sulfides? I wonder if this makes us more susceptible to the alcohol/seafood reaction?
Reply

Loading...

I get a hangover the next day ( and several days after) if I eat shrimp. Shrimp and alcohol is deadly. I think it is the sulfites in the shrimp. I stay away from most processed foods and shellfish and beer.
Reply

Loading...

I am glad to have stumbled across this.
I have similarly different issues.
I am allergic to all shellfish and many saltwater fish - throat closes up and I get hives. I am also allergic to Jack Daniels - within 10 minutes of drinking it, I begin vomiting.
I grew up on the Gulf Coast of Florida, along the Panhandle. I ate fresh shrimp, crab, scallops, fish, etc on a daily basis. Then, I at age 18, I began having adverse reactions to seafood - migraines, hives, etc. Then, the anaphylaxis started. I had allergist tell me to never eat any, again, because one bite could kill me. I am 53, now, and react to the Red Tide and to strong marsh smells, where the decomposing shellfish are in the air.
I have never been drunk and have never abused alcohol, but I have had drinks since I was 18-years old. About 2 years ago, I began noticing a sense of nausea when dinking anything with Jack Daniels in it. Then, about a year ago, I began vomiting immediately after drinking just a few sips. So, now, I avoid drinking anything alcoholic.

Reply

Loading...

I'm interested in this as I have not had a severe reaction for a few years
Thinking about this I think it has a lot to do with how fresh the fish is.
I have eaten fish on a weekly basis at WholeFoods market with wine and no reaction!
Reply

Loading...

Same thing happens to me except with shrimp or when i drink beer only and eat shellfish...go figure
Reply

Loading...

Just wanted everyone to know Benadryl fixes this IMMEDIATELY. Its a histamine build up and Benadryl is an anti-histamine.
Reply

Loading...

Just wanted everyone to know Benadryl fixes this IMMEDIATELY. Its a histamine build up and Benadryl is an anti-histamine. My first sign of a reaction, or even preventatively I will take just one 25 mg and it works.
Reply

Loading...

Well good to know but hopefully I don't have to go there
I have not had a reaction for a few years since eating at whole foods I believe it is all Bout how fresh the fish is!! I hardly eat fish out other than Whole foods and no reaction
Reply

Loading...

This is good to know! My only issue seems to be shellfish, with wine, regardless of where purchased. I will take the Whole Foods fish into account!
Reply

Loading...