I've had this happen to me on on three ocassions. I had baked stuff shrimp with a vodka cranberry. I went home but in the middle of the night woke up with an overwhelming urge to vomit. I got up and immediately fell flat on my face. I subsequently experienced the worst vertigo for the next two weeks! i also had violent vomiting episodes after ingesting both shark and calimari along with some alcoholic drinks. The vomiting was so intense that I burst the bloods vessels inside and around my eyes. Not a pretty sight.

Thank goodness I found this site!  I finally put two and two together enough to google getting very sick after drinking white wine when eating shellfish, after both last night and Sunday night. I was violently ill both times (both ends) and throwing up every hour for nearly 12 hours. Its been horrible. And this is the only connection. I have actually now traced it back to many other times where I just made the assumption that I didn't eat enough 'real food' to absorb my few glasses of wine.  Well this makes me feel better and I am so glad it is not just me!  

There are differences though so I kind of want to figure it out. There have been times it is not both ends and its just been diarrhea (sorry for too much information) so I need to try and figure out what causes the crazy vomiting. So far I feel like its when I have mixed shellfish and had a sampler or also seared tuna or tuna in sushi. I have also been eating a lot of both recently and I mean A TON, so am wondering if that is part of the problem. 

I found a great article about histamine intolernace and yep...tuna, shellfish and wine are all listed. So I think we are definitely on to something. Not sure about you guys but I have always had seasonal allergies and get allergy injections, so am getting retested tomorrow again just to make sure nothing changed. I am guessing it did not and it really is the wine and food combo. Too much stuff with histamines or sulfates could be it! 

VERY glad to see I am not alone. For those of you that do get wheezing, difficutly breathing or hives, that is definitely a serious food allergy...and very dangerous. So please, please, please stop eating the food and go see an allergist and get an epi pen. It sounds like the stomach side is more like food poisioning from my research, but the other symptoms are definitely not. 

I started developing hives all over my body and swollen eyes and lips reaction each time I consumed seafood (Prawns / Vongole) with alcohol (Wine / Beer). I was hospitalized when it happened the first time and the doctor thought it weird that I had that kind of reaction when combining seafood and alcohol together.

I tried again a couple of months later and true enough it was the 2 combinations that resulted to the allergy reaction. I had no other kinds of sickness. Just the hives and swelling of eyes and lips

Finally an answer! I had two episodes the first I thought I ate a bad crab. The second I blacked out after half a bottle of red wine and crab. I became very sick and when I came two I even blamed someone I was with for slipping me some kind of drug. I called a friend that is a Doctor, he had no clue. I was describing what happened to my fiancé over the weekend as we feasted seaside with crabs and wine. Thank goddess I decided to stop drinking immediately as I started to feel a reaction. Today, he presents me with this information. Wow, and to think I blamed someone for drugging me but the reaction was that strong. 

A dozen oysters and 2 glasses of pinor noir!  I became "drunk" and my husbnad got pissed.  The bar staff got pissed.  I got the hiccups and felt really ill.  Wobbled to the bathroom.  Got worse.  Wobbled back and ran for the door with my husband followng me.  I was the bad drunk even though I was asking to be taken to the ER.  "Drunks don't go to the ER."  I know I had a bad reaction.  My face and hands went numb.  My hearing was muffled, especailly my own voice, and my vision was not focusing.  My blood presseure or glucose went through the floor.  It took 2 hours to start to come out of it.  I am still feeling dizzy and still getting no sympathy. I normally drink Jack Daniels.  So, how in God's name do I get drunk on 2 regular glasses of wine?

I learned this and have had the problem for almost 50 years, so it never goes away. The last time it happened to me I was on vacation in Boston. We had fresh clams and decided to go for ice cream. Chose Rum Raisen! Bad choice! Who would have thought there was that.much alcolhol in it! There was! LOL, so beware if you have this problem!

I think my mom had this last night! It honestly scared the hell out of us! She are some crab and had some Hennessy and then all of a sudden she was having problems breathing and just felt bad all around!

This has happened to me a few times. I get sweaty and nauseous and feel weak. Next comes the diarreah....it starts abiut 1 hr after I ingest the fish and alcohol.....the diarreahlasts for 2 days....its awful....

Unfortunately it happened four times before I realized it! ANY shellfish and alcohol (beer, wine) mix in my body makes me violently ill almost immediately! I had nausea followed by vomiting and diarrhea relentlessly for 2-3 days! It literally is the worst feeling I've ever experienced! I have no known allergies to anything so I don't really know why it happened! I can promise you it will never happen again! I dread the thought! There's really not too much good information out there about what causes it! I can drink and be fine and eat shellfish and be fine but the two together, not good! I hope they figure out the cause!

I have had this happen 3 times now. Throw up all night and have the worst headache of my life. Haven't been able to keep food down today either. I did not eat shellfish, had grouper. Thought each time it was food poisoning. Glad it's not just me!

Really glad to see this post and know it won't get worse. Had 3 beers tonight and then a rich pasta dish with lobster, shrimp, scallops, calamari, anddddd a bowel of clam chowder. The reaction has never happened to me before this, but it's happened to my mom, so I knew what it was. Having a little difficulty breathing. Forced vomited but nothing helped. G

Hi All,

I take a trip to the Maine coast typically once a year and it seems I always get violently ill. It just happened again and this time I ended up in the ER. Violent nausea, blinding Migraine, dizziness. I vomited for 6 hours straight before being taken to the hospital. I almost lost conciousness twice.

I finally realized this happens when I eat shellfish and drink alcohol, which I always do when in Maine! 

Guess I'm not the greatest detective but word of caution to those of you who love lobsters and cocktails ... Choose one or the other never both!

Oh my goodness. I had no idea this could happen. I went out last night & had 1 glass of wine over a 4 hour period, with quite a few glasses of water throughout that time. I had scallops as an entree (there were 6), they were in a chinese type sauce (which I expect had sulphites in it). I then had Beef Cheeks as a main and I expect it may have included sulphites in it. By the time I got home at 11pm, I had a horrific headache & a very gurgly belly. This morning I feel awful. My hands are shaking, I have a blinding migraine type headache & have hives on 1 leg. I thought it was an overload of sulphites, but maybe it is the combination of the scallops and wine. I hopped on the computer to see if there is something you can do to help get over it.

Hey I too get these rashes/red spots... My feet and legs begin to swell also. It doesn't matter what type of fish I have with alcohol it always happens. I've been tested for all sorts of allergies and was seeing a blood specialist as my own doctor believed it was a vascular problem. I got specialised bloods done and they showed up an autoimmune disease so I am now been referred to another consultant who I will see next week. So 10 months later and 4 doctors I may have an answer next week hope this helps you guys

It's happened twice to me. Both times it was shell fish and RED wine. The first time I threw up just once within 30 minutes after eating shell fish and Red wine. Having forgotten that incident, I ate the same combo 6 years later with a much more severe reaction. That time I couldn't stop throwing up for 5 hours. It was after I had sipped on one glass of wine while eating oyster stew. My boyfriend at the time, now husband, had to take me to the ER because I was so dehydrated. BTW, this reaction doesn't happen while drinking white wine. I wonder what's in the red wine that creates such an adverse reaction with the shell fish.