This whole thread has been very helpful as I have experienced almost every reaction stated. Last night I had two martinis and a fresh shellfish puffed pastry in sherry dream sauce, bits of lobster,shrimp and scallops. Within two hours I felt like Had been drugged and then started the vomiting which lasted through the night. Now I feel like I've been hit by a truck....headache and fatigue. I'm definitely giving up the shellfish and alcohol mix !

I'm kind of scared!!! Had tilapia and tried a scallop off a friends plate, combined with a wine sample and a tall mixed drink, for the last 4 hours my entire body has been covered in hives! I almost immediately got a headache while in the restaurant. I'm fatigued now, and am praying that I dont end up with the vomiting symptom!!

Sad that this is the only place we can find information on this topic. This has been helpful. I too experienced this twice. Both time it was one martini and shrimp. The first time was bad, but the second time I had to be rushed to the hospital because I couldn't breath. Within 45 minutes, I started vomiting, was very dizzy, saw double, had trouble breathing and body was jerking almost like convulsions. My family had to call 911. They gave me sodium medrol and benadryl through an IV along with fluids because I became very dehydrated. I am going to get tested this week. Will keep you posted. I was told to get a scratch test and blood work. I may print this out to bring to them as well.

Yes it is extremely odd that this is the only place that I have found mentioning this condition. I believe that an earlier poster mentioned that the alcohol may lower our tolerance to a pre-existing shellfish allergy. Has anyone experienced the same reaction after consuming an abundance of seafood/shellfish? I do recall that several years ago, prior to being drinking age, I overindulged in a shrimp pasta dish and had a similar reaction. It is the only instance I can recall wherein I reacted to seafood sans alcohol. Nowadays one sip of liquor and a baby shrimp send me to the porcelain alter.

So happy to have found this thread last night. At midnight my husband woke up and started yelling that he was very sick. His arms were tingling and he blacked out. He came to and began throwing up. He wouldn't let me call 911 and he's blacked out since he was a child every few years. Usually when sick or dehydrated. It's a condition he has. With one hand on the phone to dial 911 I kept track of his condition. He had no respiratory issues. I used my IPad To go online and found this thread. we usually don't drink but had a few drinks as this was our lat night of vacation in Florida. He ordered the surf and turf and we dined around 8pm. I spoke with our doctor in Canada a few minutes ago and after explaining all of his symptoms, the doctor said it is food poisoning. My husband has diarrhea now andI will begin giving him liquids. I personally think there is something to do with the seafood/alcohol combination. But nevertheless his symptoms are that of food poisoning. I'll write if anything different occurs.I hope to read Christians bloodiest results and further info. Thanks to everyone who has posted here. It was the only thing that kept me at all calm reading other shellfish poisoning things on the net.

oh my gosh, this is just what happened to me this past weekend, it took 6 times before I figured the pattern. Why is there not medical information on this?

Each time it happens, it seems to get worse....it took 24 hours after the last event before I felt human, plus this last time I had intense cramps in my stomach.

Here's an update on my husband. Just to reiterate it hit him at midnight the night before. All day yesterday he was still feeling horrible, throwing up and diahrrea but not nearly as much as all night before. I gave him Gatorade with ice to sip all day and he ate 3 all natural, all fruit Popsicles throughout the day. At 5pm I gave him a small ant of soup I made from veg. Broth rice chicken(carrots, celery, small amount garlic). He could only eat a little but he did hold it down. He slept mostly through the night, moaning though, but much better than the night prior. So, I'm hoping today he'll be much better. When I spoke to our doctor and mentioned the shellfish/alcohol poisoning thing he kind of threw that off and said it was food poisoning. But, I called the restaurant yesterday and they said they served 15 lobsters during our dinner service and I was the only call. They pulled all the lobsters and checked and can't seem to find anything wrong with them. So my conclusion is 1. Either my husband got the one bad lobster or 2. There really is a shellfish/alcohol combination problem for some people. I am leaning towards believing it is the shellfish/alcohol poisoning combo. We aren't normally drinkers anyway but we'll NEVER combine them again. Even having a beer with a seafood dinner is OUT from now on.

Ok, as I work around many doctors I asked about the reaction to seafood/fish and alcohol, they said that YES there is something out there on this and they have heard of this before. I am going to find out more soon, I also work with a chief pharmacist , he too said this is quite common to have a severe reaction with seafood/fish and alcohol. For me personally, it is if I consume more than one glass of wine. Note that every time it happens, it gets worse! I never thought that eating 5 tiny shrimp and then consuming 2/3 glasses of wine 3 hours later would cause me to have this happen to me again....there is a pattern. There are doctors that recognize this, you just have to talk to the right one. The symptoms are similar of food poisoning. The first and second time it happened I too thought it was from the restaurant, food poisoning that is. It is not until you see the pattern that you put two and two together.....I do hope your husband is feeling better....I know the feeling it took me all day Sunday to feel human again after my event on Saturday night!

My mom just had some fried shrimps and wine. After having that combination she started having allergic reactions like itchy, red spots all over her face and body. D:>

there is a difference between allergy and intollerance, but are they connected? I would love to know more about tihs. It has something to do with the histamine I believe....

I agree on this fish alcohol combination.. It's the ONLY explanation for me. I'm not, or at least I wasnt someone who would vomit very often so it stood out when I started getting "bugs", "food poisoning " a lot. I initially thought I was allergic to shellfish as it happened twice after eating prawns and once after eating scallops. Then it happened after smoked salmon and prior to that a few other times. Each time I had consumed wine but seen as I can normally have a glass of wine I didn't even think this might be involved. Here's the thing though - it's red wine for me and it's not just shellfish. Tonight I had a beautiful meal with friends who made homemade fish cakes with cod and hake. I wasnt drinking but I did have 2 tastes of a red wine that they were serving. 2 hours later the sick feeling started and within a half an hour of that feeling I was vomitting madly. Those of you who have had this a few times will know what I mean when I say it's the same feeling as the last few times. It happens between 2&6 hours after food. The time I had scallops I had a few glasses of red wine and went home to bed. I was already vomitting when I woke up - it was so violent this time - probably due to the amount of wine I had (4 glasses) but I was frightened as I could have choked in my sleep. I am almost 100% sure it's the alcohol fish combination now as I can eat fish generally and I'm ok.

I have that similar dizziness if I accidentally get sulfates in my system. My face will even swell up. Then I get uncontrollably poisoned. There are so many things besides most wines that have sulfates in them. Balsamic vinegar for one and coconut unless its organic and don't some shellfish have sulfates in them? We had fresh cooked clams last night and then had lemoncello liquor. Both of us got dizzy and sick and today still feel that dizziness. Did we poison ourselves? c**p

In the last few months, whenever I had shrimp and alcohol together, I thought I felt itching on my tongue and ears.. At first I ignored it, but its been increasing with time. Last tinme I tried shrimp and was having a drink, I just had a sip and like 3-4 shrimps and the itching was soo much,, It was the tongue, palate and the ears..
I never imagined a combination like this could coause an allergy.. Thank god I found this threda.., My friends thought i WAS IMAGINING IT!! 

Sounds exactly like me. I can eat seafood and drink alcohol separately. I cannot combine the two. It only takes one shrimp appetizer and a glass of wine and I'm really sick. Vomiting, diarrhea, sweating, severe stomach cramps. After the fourth time being sick like this, I wrote everything down that I drank and ate and found the pattern. I will never eat seafood and drink alcohol together again.

I was also looking for a connection to the seafood/alcohol thing when my husband vomited all night.  I believe the answer is histamine containing foods.  In his case, we went to a dinner and he had brie on toast with a strawberry salsa, crab cake, wine, then two desserts one being cake.  So he was probably on histamine overload.

Certain foods (even food that is low in histamine) can stimulate the release of histamine from mast cells (a type of immune cell). These foods include champagne, wine, beer, ripened cheeses, sausage, canned fish, parmesan, bananas, tomatoes, strawberries, pineapple, nuts, peanuts, shellfish, spinach, egg white and chocolate.

He's been allergy tested for foods, and is not allergic to seafoods, but has had this reaction in the past when he's eaten mussels or scallops with wine, or meals with heavy tomato sauce.