I went to the doctor today and I guess I have seb. Derm. My face gets red right after I get out of the shower and 10 minutes later my skin starts cracking and flaming, but only in between my eyebrows, sides of my nose, and above my chin under the bottom lip area... I've tried moisturizers and cream but nothing ever works, it always comes back.... it gets worse if I wash my face with a cloth... it then looks like the affected areas are sunburned but without the flaking, the flaking starts if I don't put some aveeno lotion...I was wondering if anyone had these symptoms... please reply, thanks...

I have the same symptoms. My seb derm is so bad that as soon as I get out of the shower the affected areas get extremely dry and start to crack. Ive found that if you wash your face with a fragrant free and sensitive skin gentle soap (I use Keihls Baby's Gentle Cleansing Milk) It helps keep those areas moisturized. Tip: wash with your hands, dont use cloths - they will irritate the affected areas and make you look like you got a blotchy sun burn. What I can suggest from my experiences is to find a gentle cleanser that will not strip your skin of moisture (it should NOT feel tight or flake when you get out of the shower), try moisturizing products that are organic or natural (Any added chemicals, alcohols or fragrances may cause a flare up), go to skin care stores and ask questions. I actually went to Sephora and told the girls of my skin condition. They gave me samples of loads of products (that last for 2 weeks or so) which was great cause I found what worked for me before I committed to buying anything!

Hi everyone, I have had seb derm on my face for years and really knocked my confidence. I decided for some strange reason to use head and shoulders conditioner on my face as a conditioner and a treatment for my seb derm. Now I don't have it at all. I wash as normal and then use the conditioner as a moisturiser which also treats the seb derm. Please let me know if it works for you as I have had no symptoms for the past 2 years since using it. E-mail me if you like for more info. ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

I've had the same issues with seb derm on my scalp and face. I use head and shoulders smooth and silky shampoo and leave it on for a few minutes when I wash my hair. then I use my regular shampoo/conditioner from garnier and pantene. for my face, everytime I use any facewash I put head and shoulders on my face and leave on for a minute or so. then I use aveeno the basic daily moisturizing one on the dry spots and/or aloe vera gel. also use aloe vera gel under my eyes :-D

I've dealt with Seb Derm for nearly 20 years now, most of which I was taking Triamcinolone cream prescribed by a doctor. It would work quickly to ease the burning and inflamation on my chest and back when I had bad break outs. However, it would always come back and I continued to use the steroid cream for about 18 years. That's far longer than recommended. It wasn't until about a year ago that I read about Apple Cider Vinegar and decided to give it a try. I continue to use it today as it allowed me to manage the Seb Derm far better than the Triamcinolone cream. I'm wishing now that I new about Apple Cider Vinegar 20 years ago. I use it every time I shower on my scalp in a mix of 50% ACV to 50% water. When I first started using it, I would rub it on my back and let it sit there for about 15 minutes in the bathtub. I call that process "shocking" the inflamation. Your skin will turn super red in the areas that you've applied the ACV. It will also feel hot like you have a fever. Don't be alarmed by this. It goes away shortly thereafter. When it does, your left with soft, smooth skin. The Seb Derm breakout is gone. I found that using the ACV every few days transitioned into using it once a week, and now I only use it about once every month on my back and chest. As I mentioned above, I use it in small amounts on my scalp every day (only leaving it on for about 2 minutes) and then adding Nizoral shampoo over it before rinsing. So, to me... the Apple Cider Vinegar became some sort of miracle cure all. My quality of life is signifcantly different now. The only aspect of the Seb Derm that I'm still trying to manage or get under control is the red face. Any miracle suggestions here?

try head and shoulders conditioner as a moisturiser. works for me.

I have Rosacia as well as SB. The one thing I discovered on accident is that mine is caused by an allergy. The best thing I have found to help me is a product by Edgar Cayce called Crudoleum Shampoo works wonders on my scalp..I also get that white stuff in my pores that someone posted on here..the best product I have found is by a company called Aloette and it's called Restorative enzyme peel..I have to use mine every other day compared to once a week like everyone else but it is all natural and you can see the dead skin coming off in your hands. You are left with baby soft skin. I Follow that with another Edgar Cayce product called Aura Glow massage oil
After I use the alloette Restorative peel then I put a small drop of Aura Glow on my face..I like to do this after taking a shower or bath that way my face absorbs the oil while it's still wet. You don't need alot, just rub it in your hands first before applying it on your face.

Hi there,

About 4 years ago I suffered from a serious bout of what I now believe to be Seborrhoeic Dermatitis. Tried everything. Nothing worked. Now it is mostly gone however it still flares up (extremely mild compared to how bad it got)...to get over the worst of it I had to change a few things. The first was my diet. The dermatitis is apparently caused by a yeast problem in the skin and the yeast thrive on high amounts of saturated fat, so, if you are going through a serious bout and the topical creams are not working, look at switching to a diet LOW in saturated fats - plenty of fruit, vegetables and low-gi grains (avoid gluten too if you can) such as rice (brown rice is best) will help get you on the right track and also avoid dairy and alcohol if you can as they both create congestion in the liver...Lastly, I started going to the sauna each day which helped immensely. Now I have it under control and I use a cleanser gel from Environ each day which helps a lot.

So i guess, while there are topical solutions that will help to relieve the symptoms in the short term, if you are looking for long term results, life style changes are hugely important. Exercising every day as well as meditation will help to reduce stress which I have found certainly influences my skin, a CLEAN diet is hugely important - when you cook, use good oils such as olive oil and ensure you do not burn these oils as this can create damaged oils which are terribly bad for your skin - eat lots of fruit and vegetables and take a multi-vitamin, make sure you get enough sleep and try to get some sunshine each and every day as vitamin D is an important part of keeping your body healthy.

All these things will assist in producing strong LONG TERM results that enable you to get away from Seb Derm for good. It has taken me four years of steady work to get where I am however it has been a steady road to improvement each and everyday and my seb derm has almost gone completely. I still use topical cleansers and an anti-dandruff shampoo on my face however I certainly notice my skin flare up when I eat bad foods or drink too much alcohol on a night out...

I hope this helps everyone out there. It is a fairly horrible skin condition. I had to take three months off school when I was 17 as it was so bad.

Good luck

Hi everyone, i am a 16 year old male who has been suffering from SD for the past 6 months. It all started with a little red spot on the side of my nose and has developed onto both sides of my nose as red patches. so far the doctors have given me two types of steroids and a shampoo called keta something or other :D . about 3 months ago i read an article on a web page about using laser treatment to get rid of SD. the clinic is very near where i live and looks very promising as it states it works exceptionally well on children and young adults. So I have been saving my money and will hopefully ring the clinic about a consultation later in the week. i will let all you guys find out how i got on. How ever i guess it wont be very cheap and i think it will probably be around £1000 :/ hopefully not. Any ways here is the link to the clinics website and its defnitley worth a quick read ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed. Also check out this guy on youtube he claims to have a cure from isreal however his lotions are $85 dollars including postage which i think is far too expensive for a 30ml bottle, anyway you might want to check him out on youtube and his official website. ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed and ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed. Sorry for the long post guys but hope it helps. please comment with your responses !!!

I use Hydrocortisone, its called scalpicin, and i put it around my mouth and the eyebrow area. Dont use the one with salycic acid, use the one that has 1% hydrocortisone. Usually I can prevent my breakouts by just showering every day and moisturizing my face daily. Sometimes when i let my beard grow out it comes out again. If i do not shower for a day or two, ill most likely start breaking out and it takes about 2-4 days to get rid of the redness and flaky skin around my mouth with the scalpicin.

I suffered with horrible itchy SD on my legs and face for over 12 months, absolutely nothing worked,
cortisone creams made it spread like crazy, then I read and article
on the relationship of SD to candida. I was lucky enough to have access to a MORA treatment
therapist and after 2 treatments and a daily dose of homeopathic remedy, as well as following a
candida diet it is completely gone. Over 6 months totally clear.
Good luck.

hello! sorry i didn't feel like registering, lol. but, i have an 11 yr old little girl who is graduating 5th grade and is devestated that her nose, forehead, neck and ears are black. yes, black. she is a peanut butter color and it is VERY noticable.

i never knew that this was a condition. and last year she was diagnosed with petit mal seizures...which "supposedly" came about from puberty. i am now seeing that these things (seb. derm. and neurology problems) are somehow connected...

anyway, when i would wash her hair, the "dirt" on her neck would kind of rub off. o_0 i had no idea why or what. so i would wash her neck with the shampoo, but it wouldn"t work! only when i washed her hair. so i now think it had to do with the oils in her hair. i still am stumped.

but, i wanted to say that i am so HAPPY that i read this thread. all of u gave GREAT ideas and suggestions. her doctor also told her there was nothing she could do. so i will be going to walmart and trying out these new things.

this will be the BEST present for her for her 5th grade graduation and an early middle school gift. :)

a million times thanks, shellz breezy

what did you find in oral form

Repcilin is definately the most aleviating cream I have used on my hand and face eczema but it didnt clear it up completely for me but I heard it does cure others, it just stops my itching and improves the moisture and feels great.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** 

The other thing is salt baths- use dead sea rocks salt or best quality rock salt in bath.
I personally do Urine Therapy where I drink a half cup of morning mid stream urine. Its not so bad. It is a process of resetting the thalamus gland (healing from inside out) and I also use 4 litres of saved urine in my bath which I take every 2-3 days.
I have been studying Aromatherapy and this oil blend feels beautiful on the skin and really stops inflamation.
Barage, Calendula, Evening Primrose, rosehip and avacado oils in even amounts of 10ml each added to 10 drops of German Chamomile, 10 drops of Sandalwood and 3 drops of Lavender.
I hope this all helps someone.

Elidel worked amazingly for me.