Hey I have found the answer for the rash around my eyes it is called Hawthorn oil this is a natural oil that I found at the natural holistic store by my house it is yellow though and does wash off. I am using it at night and during the day do not wear make-up on my eyes however in one day I have notice a great improvement. Please try it and you will be surprised no itching no burning no nothing.

also do not wash eyes with anything but water no soaps or cleansers just water. no make-up I know I know that sucks but hey give it a least 1 week.

These are all the things I have learned and guess what it is the best so far .

Thanks for everyone's input. I too have this rash around my eyes that comes and goes. Based on input from others I'm going to first try J&J baby shampoo. If that does not work then I will try the Hawthorn Oil and ultimately get ELIDEL if nothing else works. Lastly, I am going home to wash my pillow right away. Crossing my fingers.

Ditto... My eyes are so red I look like a vampire. Also swelling and severely red on the lids. I am late thirties, and no health / substance problems. I went to the eye doctor, and she gave me ALREX (a steroid eye drop). I also put plain old hydrocortisone (another topical steroid) on the eyelids before bed - recommended by the doctor. If you try this, don't get it into your eyes. It cleared up pretty quick and then came back a few months later. Must be an allergy to dust mites or similar indoor stuff (since its winter and pollens are low). Really hot showers, letting the hot water scour the eyelids seems to help reduce the itching. I don't think a diagnosis of a specific disease is forthcoming, since a disease like blood-shot-eyes with red-puffy-eyelids syndrome would have been discovered long ago. It almost certainly is allergic, and therefore will never have a specific cure for all individuals. However, if anyone else has ideas, or a specific diagnosis, I would love to get rid of this problem forever...

I also have got these red spots around my eye for about four months now, they are barable for the most part but every once in a while they get dried out and irritated. I have not found a cure, but I am bound and determined to find something because it is driving me nuts! As soon as I find something that works I will let you all know.

I have had a similar problem.
For the last 4 months I have had periodic breakouts on my forehead and eyes (lids and under) only.
I have been to my DR., a dermatologist and recently an allergist. I had the test on my back of all the obvious foods, animals plants etc. All were negative. The next step is a series of patch tests but first he wants me to quit using lanolin. I have always used Eucerin on my body as I have ichthyosis but since this awful stuff on my face, I have used only Eucerin on my face as well. He wants to rule out Lanolin which seems ok I guess.
My eyelids and under swell, get crusty and itch. My forehead does the same except it doesn't swell. I can't put anything on my face that doesn't sting. Cetaphil, Lubriderm both sting. I don't know what to do, any ideas?

I am having the same problem with my eyes. It is only under them and they are scattered little red, sometimes itchy, dots. Now my whole face feels like it is stretched tight, burning, and feels like sandpaper in spots. I read that someone took homeopathic sulphur tablets and it helped. I'm getting some today and will let you know if it helps.

I have a similar condition that has persisted for more than a year now. After extensive searching on the internet I came across a diagnosis - Perioral Dermatitis. It typically occurs around the mouth but can also occur around the nose and eyes and is common in women. My condition has gotten worse each time. Now it covers both upper eyelids and extends out from the eyes and under my nostrils. At first it was small red bumps, now the bumps have formed a plaque that is red, raised, burns, and itches. Discontinue the use of steroid topicals as these may improve the condition in the short term but make it worse in the long term. Oral or topical antibiotics are typically prescribed but could take several months to fully resolve the condition. The cause of perioral dermatitis is unknown and as it seems from the number of posts, difficult to diagnose. My dermatologist said she had never seen a case as bad as mine...that made me feel better! I've started using the topical antibiotic lotion (clindamycin) and so far no improvement, if anything, more burning and itching. But I am going to stick with it and hope some relief is in sight.

I am the one that wrote about trying the homeopathic sulphur. I started it the day I wrote that post, Feb. 1, 10, and I thought it was helping. Maybe it was because I wanted it to help so bad. But, today, Feb. 10, the skin under my eyes is at least as bad as it was before I started taking the sulphur. Now I'm trying pine tar soap. Washing my face with this in luke-warm water is pretty soothing at least, but I can't tell if it looks any better. I'm also breaking open an evening primrose oil gel cap and smoothing it into the skin. Again, it's soothing, but the rash doesn't seem to be going away. It's very discouraging.

I'm not sure if anyone else has found the same thing, but I am certain that washing my face is what causes the rash around my eyes for me. I am currently using Elidel to treat it, and while I'm using it the rash is gone completely. I've used Protopic as well, which worked, but Elidel isn't sticky and doesn't shine like Protopic does, not to mention it doesn't burn (at least, for me).

For those of you who are really suffering from your eye rash, I highly recommend going to see your doctor and asking for a prescription of Elidel (unless he/she thinks otherwise).

In terms of washing my face, I have tried everything... all kinds of facial cleansers, but the rash always ends up coming back in the end. I'm hoping to try an all natural cleanser next. The doctor recommended I just try washing my face with water for a while, but I suffer from mild acne so that unfortunately isn't an option for me. For those of you who don't break out that often, maybe try just water for a while and see if there is any change?

Good luck to you all!

I've had a red rash around my eyes and forehead for about 1.5 years. Nothing seems to work, I've tried every steriod cream known to man kind. Its itchy, red and dry. The doctors have turn this into a guessing game now. Its fustrating, I just want it to go away!! I have eczema but I've never had it this bad. PLEASE help!! I've tried changing everything from make-up, shampoo and soaps.

I've have a similar problem. It has been going on for about a year and a half now. Red, dry, flaky, itchy, spots around my eyes and side of my face. Been to the dermatologist and allergist. Tried nearly a dozen creams and steriod oitments. NOTHING WORKS! The only thing that works is oral prednisone which isn't good for my body if taken long term. I feel like I've tried everything. Please help!

I developed similar rashes on my face last year. After extensive tests it was determined that food intolerance was the culprit. I cut out 80% of what I normally eat and heh! presto all the symptoms cleared up. Unfortunately I was so desperately unhappy at not being able to eat anything I really liked that I gave up the food avoidance and the symptoms returned. I am going to try again and eliminate one food at a time until I am able to pin down the exact culprit(s). I have read that nearly all symptoms such as have been described here can often be traced to food allergy/intolerance. Hope this helps.

I've read all of your concerns. My daughter is six years old. We moved here to California in June 2009 from Michigan. In December-January 2009-10 she started developing this rash around one eye. It is very dry and flaky, not bumpy. It is now June of 2010 and it has spread to the other eye. She looks like a racoon. The doctors don't know what it is. We've tried the hydrocortizone creams they prescribed, vaseline, and some other steroid cream. Nothing works. We tried a triple antibiotic ointment that seemed to help a little but overall did not cure it. I will try the Baby Shampoo, then the Hawthorn Oil, and i will ask about the ELIDEL. I will let you know how it goes. I just want it gone for her sake. She is a VERY BEAUTIFUL little girl (and i'm not just saying that cause i'm her father) and it's starting to affect her self perception. She says she's not pretty because of it. We constantly tell her otherwise but she is a very bright little girl and has her own perceptions.

i have this too. ive been to four different doctors all with the genius idea of moisturising cream...
like i hadnt thought of that!
im 18 and had the rash around both eyes (worse on my right eye) for almost 5 years! its embarressing too
almost everyday someone asks me whats wrong with my eye. nothing ive used has had worked in the long run it almost seems like the rache becomes immune after a short while to what ever i use!!!

Ive had this for about 10/15 years around one eye only, used all the creams etc and they do work but they are definately damaging my skin, ive noticed over the years its the sleep that gathers around your eyes in the morning that makes mine worse, if ive been drinking at the weekend the next morning its worse (due to more sleep around eyes).

There's definately something in a previous post as to stop using the creams, make the rash/allergy worse and hope your body finally gets rid of it itself, the reason i say that over the past 10/15 years ive had it on my right eye about 5 times, ive never used any creams on it and eventually it has disapeared, dont think i could handle the look for 2 months but.