I had red spots and a dry rash under my left eye for 10 days and then it started developing on my right eye. Yesterday I put Sudocrem on it over night (thin layer under each eye over the rashes) and today it's completely gone.

I have the same thing, I have had it for years now. I have just discovered Cliniuqe's "Redness Solution" line. I use the daily face cream and when my redness flairs up I use the urgent cream. They have just came out with a foundation too. It isn't cheap, but I promise it works. My Dermatologist recommended it to me, it is good for people with Rosacea too.

PS. It seems my redness only breaks out right before I get a cold or really sick? Has anyone else experienced that, I am thinking it is related some kinda of way. I just know I go through the itch then the really bad burning next, if almost feels like my skin is cracking open, that kind of burn.

I had a rash around my eyes and some around my nose as well. I thought I got it from my husband because he had something similar for years that would flair up every few days if he didn't put a steroid cream around his eyes. I tried the steroid cream and it made mine better too, but it gave me the willies because I've read steroid cream is really bad for your eyes long terms, i.e,. = chance for cataracts or glaucoma.

I went first to a regular doctor and he gave me mycolog, which didn't help. Next, a dermatologist said it was adult acne (perioral acne or something like that) and/or rosacea and gave me 100 mg of Minocin twice a day. It worked like magic. The eye and nose rash went away almost immediately. Strangely, it also made my skin really really soft. (I've had a problem with my whole face feeling like sandpaper for 10 years or so - no matter what creams or washes I tried to make it better).

But I was also having a bad reaction to the strong dose of minocin - gave me dry mouth, made my stomach hurt and made my sense of taste really dull (all food was like eating cardboard). So derm-boy switched me to 100mg of Doxycycline twice a day. It did nothing and the bumps came back. I went back to the Minocycline, but took only 1 per day. The side-effects decreased and my eyes and nose cleared back up and it has not come back. Unfortunately, the soft skin never came back! It went back to sand-paper face.

I went back to the derm a few months later and showed him how the rash cleared up, but how the skin was dry again. He said the strong antibiotic might have "soothed" the overall rosacea and agreed to give me a different antibiobiotic just to see what it would do. He gave me Solodyn 65mg once a day, which is some type of a (really expensive) new extended-release antibiotic. Again, my skin became soft as a baby within a week, plus most of my normal redness went away. He only gave me two months worth, but I'm going to beg him to give me more!!! Just wanted to share my results!

Ive got the same thing.

Why don't people start saying things that they do in their life and we may find a commonality between us all and then we maybe able to find a cure for it?

I think my rash is caused by my long haired cat. She cleans herself often and I think there could be something in the cat saliva that does it. I put elocon cream on it a night after ive had contact with my cat and for a few days afterwards and that clears it up, but if i pat any long haired cat and dont use my cream i get a rash.

Im think its long haired cats because in Canada I was in contact with lots of short haired cats, horses and dogs and I didnt get the rash, but i get home to New Zealand and I get the rash mainly after having contact with my long haired cat.

So does anyone have any long haired cats that gets this rash?

Good afternoon. I have had a problem with a recurring rash around my eyes, on top and underneath, as well as on the side of my forehead. The rash appeared while exposed to the sun after an extended period of time. The rash at times gets better then reappears. I have been tested for Lups, due to acheness and joint pain all over, including pain in my face. This is something that I can't seem to shake and have wondered if Lupus is infact a factor. I'm waiting test results from the doctor. In the meantime, I'm wanting some answers to my problem and wondering if someone else is having the same symptoms???? Signed ~~frustrated young lady~~

Hi everyone...My 27mths daughter also has the same red rash just around her eyes and her body itches. it is already almost a year. I feel so sorry and sad when I see her like that. sometimes her eyes swollen and she could not sleep well because she scratches all the time.

we went to do the skin-prick allergy test and the result is she is allergic to dust mites. We went to Dermatologist and were told to change every fabric to cotton and everything in our house needs to be anti-dust mites and also no carpet. We are still renting and still under contract so we could not move out.

But we already steamed it and change her pillow and use mattress protector. all are anti-dust mites products. we wash her clothes with Purity and she can only wear cotton clothes and pants.

I also allergic to penicillin and my husband and I also allergic to dust (not dust mites) but we never experience something like my daughter is now.

I saw IOMAN's experience and I would like to ask whether the red rash already gone after you did what the doctor told you to?

I really need help because I really need to know what is the cause and how to cure as well as prevent it from happening again. Please help me...Thank you very much!

I just had a bout of red, itchy eyelids, with a little swelling. After a carefully controlled experiment using myself as the test subject. I determined the cause to be the soap and lotion I was using. I had had something similar about 8 years ago, it went away eventually, don't remember why. However, it returned about a month ago. My hypothesis developed after not having had a shower at home for a couple of days, with my eyelids subsequently improving slightly. But it flared back up after returning home. Thus, the first experiment was to not take a shower for a couple of days while at home. Symptoms improved. Then I took a shower as usual, symptoms returned. I then took a shower without using any soap or shampoo. Symptoms improved. Then, my next shower only used shampoo, symptoms continued to improve. The following shower I used my soap, symptoms returned.

We had recently purchased a new bottle of Dove liquid soap ("body wash"). I read the ingredients, the only ingredient that caught my eye (no pun intended) was "contains either XX OR sunflower seed oil". I'm allergic to pumpkin seeds (pepitas) so I'm guessing that is the culprit.

I thought I had solved the problem, went a week and symptoms kept improving, until I was putting lotion on my son after his bath. I decided to use some excess on my face. My eyelid skin was still dry and cracking after all, I thought a little lotion could only help. Next morning, red, itchy slightly swollen eyelids returned. Checked the lotion bottle - St. Ives (hypoallergenic!), and sure enough there was the ingredient: sunflower seed oil.

Now it has been another week, and the symptoms are essentially gone - eyelids have largely recovered.

Turns out, sunflower seed oil is used in many skin products (Burts Bees, St. Ives, Dove body wash,...). So if you have red itchy eyelids and you suspect an allergy, check your soap, lotion, etc.

well my dotor told me the same thing about the johnson sampoo and it didnt work.Is it cause im using the wrong sampoo .

It was interesting to see that so many people around my same age have this condition. I developed a red slightly red patchy rash that started around and under my eyes, VERY apparent large patch next to eye(s)...then went straight down my cheeks and under my chin. My face is very sore and swollen and itchs occassionally when patches get dry. Started 2 months ago. At first dermatologist thought it was allergic reaction and i was put on prednisone...minimal improvement. He also dispensed some steroid ointment that I couldn't tolerate my face became inflamed and itched terribly. Ran a low grade fever. Next step was allergy patch test on my back...negative, didn't react to any of the items. Dermatologist ordered bloodwork i.e Lupus, immune system profiles, etc. everything came back Ok except i had an elevated white blood cell count. My regular doctor was made aware of these results also and called me for an exam. At this point Dermatologist was convinced i had Roseaca and is treating me with Oracea (40mg extended release Doxycycline) I have seen many people with Roseaca and this doesn't look anything like it. What i have are hard red raised patches, not blotchy cheeks or bumps, what i have does not resemble acne. Reminds me of burns...feels like that too. My doctor ordered more tests... rast (blood) allergy test, hormone, Lyme disease, Thyroid, etc and even did a urine test on me since she said a low grade bladder/urine infection may also cause some of these symtoms. i am also having bad headaches, blurred vision and my eyes are just sore and everything is swollen. So far the only test result that came back abnormal was my Vit D was low and I was instructed to take 1000mg Vit D twice a day. While I was purchasing Vit D I also bought some Biotin and I am taking that once a day as well as my Multi Vitamin and my antibiotic. Still no improvement. Haven't worn make up, perfume etc for over 2 months (I look awful!!!!) Sometimes it's hard to recognize myself in the mirror. It's not that it just looks bad it FEELS bad too. I am washing my face with Aveeno calming cleanser, and alternating using Aveeno baby cream (no perfumes etc) & Aveeno cream for rashes (contains a little Calomine for when it it itchy)...still waiting for more bloodwork results and my next appointment is on january 20. I have been documenting my rash with photos...

Consider seeing a homeopath.

I too have had this same rash around my eyes, on and off for about two years: red inflamed skin,itchy, burns, swells up and when the swelling goes away the skin is flaky, dry and brittle. Then, when the skin eventually goes back to normal, I look like I have more wrinkles, presumably from the skin swelling and shrinking back over and over.
Anyhow, abut 18 months ago I found a post on one of these forums suggesting using NIZORAL DANDRUFF SHAMPOO. It has KETAKONOZOLE in it which is an anti fungal remedy. I used the Nizoral shampoo, very lightly on my eyes, and the rash went way in a few days. Granted the rash does come back over time, but in the short term the Nizoral seems to do the trick. Believe me, I tried everything prior to that.
One thing to keep in mind is that if anti-fungal agents are helping, it is likely that you have a fungal infection... i.e. yeast overgrowth of some sort. I have also been taking an anti-yeast supplement by SOLAR RAY called YEAST CLEANSE which has Caprylic acid, Pau D'Arco, and Tee Tree oil in it, all of which are very powerful anti-fungal, anit-yeast ingredients (they are medicinal herbs). Also, I take a medicinal tincture called Dermal Health, from a company called the Herb Farm. A tincture is a distillation of the medicinal herbs in a grain alcohol base. The medicinal herbs in the DERMAL HEALTH Tincture are all formulated to cleanse the liver. What Western doctors won't tell you is that most skin related issues are related to your liver function, and emotional stress. If your liver is not healthy, and you are under a lot of stress, it is very common to get skin eruptions.
Furthermore, you will also want to take some sort of supplement to boost your overall immune system such as Echinacea or Astragalus Root. And, as always, Evening Primrose Oil in gel capsule form is really good for skin, hair and nail health.
And last but not least, my medical hero: go in for ACUPUNCTURE. It is by far the best treatment you can get. Acupuncture works to restore the overall balance of the body's energy meridians (you may think that it is only for the woo woo type of people, but even western doctors are finally seeing the profound healing potential of acupuncture... even insurance agencies pay for it now.... and is one of the better known treatments for cancer). Every time I feel emotionally, physically, and nutritionally out of balance, I go in for Acupuncture, and I come out feeling like a million dollars.
Any disruption in the body's natural balance is going to result in some physical deficiency, and problems with the skin are almost always sourced back to imbalances of some sort or another (whether they are nutritional, emotional, medical, etc). It may also be helpful to mention that meditation and calming the mind are also helpful. When we look in the mirror and see our face broken out in red painful blotches, our vanity takes a bit of a beating, and often causes more stress. I have learned to remain calm through meditation (not just because my skin out breaks), and I have been able to manage my stress better.

I hope this all helps.

After reading all the posts I too started about six weeks ago with a redness around both eyes top and bottom of eyelids and it is puffy, sometimes scaley, and sometimes burns or itches. I have many allergies so before I start going to all these doctors that I know aren't going to know a darn thing about what it is I thought I would start researching it myself. Does anyone out there take Cymbalta? Reason being my rheumatologist has me on it for Fibromyalgia pain and when he increased the dose that is when this eye stuff started. I asked him today and he said he didn't think it was the medicine. I also used to be on a hormone patch for many years and just recently stopped using it. Some days I wake up and they are red and puffy and some days like today I woke up and they were clear, but as the day goes on they become red and sore. I was using bees wax on it since it was supposed to be natural, but it burns sometimes but it does take the scaliness away. I can't use my usual Oil of Olay or Avon face creams as it irrates it. Any help would be appreciated especially on the Cymbalta because I would go right off it.

I too have the same problem with my eyes. I have had this problem for a good 3 months now.. and it just keeps getting worse. It started around my eyes, and now has spread to above my eyebrow and its spreading to my lower, inner cheek near my mouth. They itch, burn, and are flaky. I have tried everything, and have seen many doctors. I went to an allergist, and now get shots every Monday. And every 6 weeks i get a shot in my hip. I have been given plenty of steroids, creams, lotion, and face wash. I have changed my pillows, I have changed beds, and I have also changed makeup, or tried not to even wear any. Nothing works.
I have had a past of breaking out in rashes; Two years ago both my legs were covered in a rash, and no one could find out why; A little over 6 months ago my lips swelled up twice their size; So i was given an epi-pen. haven't had to use it yet.
I'm seeing a dermatologist this week, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
any ideas?

I have had numerous problems with my eyes since January of this year. I started with conjunctivitis which got better. Then I was diagnosed with extreme dry eyes so I now use liquid tears which helps that problem. My latest problem was a very red rash above my eyes. In desperation, I googled "red rash around eyes" and found a whole community of people with the same problem. I read all the posts and decided to try the easiest suggested solution first. The easiest solution was to wash my eyelids with baby shampoo. My rash is now gone. I appreciate this website soooo much! Thank you to everyone; I am definitely a believing in this type of forum.

I am 44 and have developed this eye rash around both eyes for the last 8 months. I have seen my family doctor and dermatologist and both prescibed hydrocortisone. This does help temporarily, however it will come back in about a week. I have tried many creams and gels (prescibed by doctors to include cortisone and Metrogel) none of which seem to work. I have noticed that taking Zyrtec nightly seems to keep it under control. Although, if not taken daily rash will come back.