Keep us posted I had reactions with mussels clams then in the UK with fish and chips I'm so glad it's not just me felt deathly ill

I am so thankful my husband found this forum. After eating at our favorite seafood restaurant, I have experienced more and more severe reactions. This has happened four times. The first time I had half a beer and felt the dizzying, spinning as soon as I got home.

The last three times, I did not consume any alcohol, but had shellfish that may have been cooked with alcohol. I didn't have any symptoms until I woke up the next morning and tried to get out of bed. The symptoms included severe nausea, spinning and a bad headache. My husband found this thread and gave me Benadryl, which eliminates the spinning within 30 minutes. Still took me until 2 in the afternoon to recuperate.

I experienced the same. Whenever I combine seafood and alcohol, my eyes got swollen. But not vomiting and not dizzy.

This very same thing just happened to me. I had no idea what the cause was. I

O.k., I guess you could say I never learn. We are in Fllorida and last evening I had a seafood dish with mussels, clams , calamari, and grouper. Before dinner I had a vodka martini, then a glass of wine with dinner and a glass later that evening. I woke up feeling nauseated, but didn't have vomiting or diarrhea until 5 p.m.. Six months ago I had both all night long after eating octopus. What is so strange is that this has been going on for several years, but not every time I eat seafood and alcohol. One time I had scallops and only one glass of wine and got really sick. I love seafood and usually drink alcohol at a party or out to dinner. I have never gotten sick after a home party, just from restaurants. I guess I have to make a choice between seafood or alcohol

Might pay to get your iron level checked Gordon Sometimes iron levels are way too high and raw seafood can really make you sick. At least I found out the problem and had to get the levels down to a safe size

I have also experienced this reaction to shellfish and alcohol. It took 5 different occasions (the last one on Christmas Day a few years back) before I realized what it was! On every occasion it was shellfish and alcohol! Whether mussels and Coors Light, ONE baked clam and ONE sip of Pinot Grigio Santa Margherita, shrimp and beer, it does a number on me! I get vomiting and diarrhea simultaneously for days as well as a migraine headache! It has made me petrified to have shellfish and alcohol together! Eating/drinking either one by itself I have no problem! I would love for someone who is educated on allergies or has studied this to share what the actual cause is. It is by far the worst thing (health wise) I've ever experienced! FYI I have not always had this! I used to be able to ingest shellfish and alcohol together with no problem.

Okay I had a hangover today from partying last night and now it's night time and I thing I'm fine. I eat a crab cake and immediately start throwing up. Like I've been fine all day. I had lots of water but there's something really weird about this.

I believe it's the histamine in alcohol and fish combined

Glad that I found this website as there is little other information on this particular condition--must be somewhat rare. I also can drink alcohol and eat shellfish (separately) without any strange effect. When I mix the two, however, very bad news. A new twist on this is for me that it just happened at a restaurant that serves a lot of shellfish, but I didn't order a dish containing shellfish. Next time I will be explicit that I have a shellfish allergy and make sure they have a separate area dedicated to this.

Strange I believe it's to do with. The freshness of fish there is no rhyme or reason why it has not happened to me for a year or so I only eat at Wholefoods now if that says anything but who knows when it will next strike again
I find it gets worse each time and the last was horrid a few years ago
It took me years and years to figure it out
the doctor thought I was mad they had no explanation on it

I have various allergies which cause much of the symptoms noted here. I drink alcohol every evening before dinner whether I need it or not. I have also been diagnosed with Chronic Hives and at least 2 times or more each week, I will get severe itching and welts on different parts of my hands or body. Taking Benadryl usually causes me to wait for a couple of hours for relief - or else the hives wear off. I have discovered that 2 or 3 shots of vodka or scotch cures all hive attacks within 30 minutes. And, that information is now in my medical records at the Doc's office and the hospital.

Happens to me, too, started after age 48 ish. Menopause might have changed my enzyme level? Thank you for posting. I would not have connected the two: Shellfish and alcohol (white wine).

I am 50 yrs old this has been happening to me on and off for the past 15 + years. In the beginning I did not know what was going on, thought initially food poisoning etc. am eating fish and wine to this day, together and thank goodness, (touching wood) I have not had another bad reaction for a couple of years now. I think it is all to do with the freshness of the fish........the type of alcohol, i.e. is it cheap wine etc. That's my thought........let's keep the posts going on this so we can learn more. When this happened to me initially, and I started to research there was NOTHING out there, no board, chats etc.....MDs knew nothing either.