Gordon,
I have the SAME reaction. Head throbbing, then vomiting, sometimes resulting in symptoms going away away. I never realized until recently it was this combination because of the delayed reaction of 6-8 hours. I assumed it was my body being hyperreactive to alcohol. I'm going to get allergy tested next week, but wonder if it will even show up since it's most likely the combination of the two.

Keep us posted on your allergy testing I did the same thing it came back negative it's not an allergy per se it's an interaction with the alcohol and the seafood it has something to do with the levels of histamine I never had a delay personally it was a immediate no warning whatsoever

Well after reading this thread I feel better. Two weekends in a row I mixed crawfish and alcohol and got violently sick. It wasn't any more alcohol than I normally consume so I couldn't figure it out but reading all of your posts has been so helpful. Good to know I'm not alone!

I was dealing with this 20 years ago and I felt alone I talked to my doctor about it she knew nothing I thought iwas going crazy then I discovered this website years ago and it is encouraging to know that I wasn't crazy

I am so glad to hear that I am not the only one that has a reaction with Alcohol and Shellfish. My first reaction was about 15 years ago (I'm 30 now) and had a combination of crab legs and wine while out to dinner on vacation. Halfway back to the hotel I started getting extremely sick vomiting behind every tree. I was in the bathroom for several hours that night non stop. Fast forward 10 years was out to dinner and combined mussels with wine, about an hour later on my way home I had to pull over. Once again, I was in the bathroom for hours straight. I soon realized that it was the combination of shellfish and alcohol. I've been testing myself lately with some other seafood and am perfectly fine when I combine alcohol with shrimp and calamari. I can also combine any shellfish by its self without wine and be just fine. According to an article I read up on some people lack a "shortage of or insufficient activity of enzymes needed to deal with histamine in our bodies, can react badly, even violently to a meal of high histamine-rich foods. These foods include certain seafoods (most usually seafood). So alcohol, especially in people that lack the enzyme acetaldehydedehydrogenase, causes these people to become suseptable to a reaction since drinking alcoholic spirits stimulates the production of histamine in the body." (Steadyhealth.com) Reading this I'm so surprised that there has not been any over the counter medicine to avoid this reaction in our bodies. If anyone else else has any further information on this reaction our bodies have have I would love to know about it.

Amen! I wish there was even recognition by the doctors on this they are clueless in this !!!
I'm fine with certain things then wham it hits a reaction started when I started to eat bouillabaisse in Whole Foods and red wine felt it coming on stopped immediately just a quarter of the wine scared me to drink Amy more!

An alligator? What are you?

The same thing happens to me and king crab!

I just had sweet clams with white wine sauce too.. so now the both of us that ate it are fighting for the toilet and hence fate that brought me to this site. I am so glad to know what caused it. It must be that combination then. Thanks so much for sharing.

Glad you found us it gets each time be careful of the quality of the fish

Just so everyone knows Benadryl stops this immediately.

have you tried this?

The exact same thing has happened to me 3 times in the past 6 months. I had lobster and a glass of wine and 12 hours later still vomiting. I finally linked the two and found this tread. This is second vacation ruined in two months

Amen, because I have it too. The first time it hit me I was taken to the hospital and they could not find anything wrong with me. After a few episodes of the same systems when combining any kind of shellfish and wine... I googled it and found a lot of other people have had the same reaction. I told my Doctor about it and she had never heard of it.

Great information. I too have had many of these reactions, especially shrimp with a gimlet or margarita. It doesn't take much and I find myself sick all night. I'm always worried when I eat shellfish as to what to combine. One would say don't eat it but I love it, so I just don't mix shellfish with sauces, citrus or alcohol, just butter.