I just made some fried shrimp, and was drinking Dos Exius-beer, and all of a sudden felt some what dizzy, my muscles were starting to hurt, so best thing I knew I could do was drink some water, and make myself throat up, and few minutes after that felt a lot better. Never again will I eat shrimp, and drink beer with it.

I just ate tuna after consuming a wine cooler and immediately felt sick. I'm glad I found this post! I now know that I can't combine the two anymore.

I've had the exact same thing 3 times after having red wine with shellfish. It gets progressively worse each time. Terrifying, actually. Won't be going near this combination again.

Wow, this post has solved a mystery from many years ago! I got so sick after shrimp & 1/2 glass of red wine, and was sitting with a car door open to do so in front of a bar. Some do gooders called an ambulance and when they released me the next day, they gave me all this info on alcoholism but I knew I hadn't had much to drink. I remember a lot of it, but just couldn't function. A horrible experience for sure. I quit drinking about 2 years ago as I started getting bad sinus headaches even from a few sips of ANY alcohol, red or white wine, beer, cider and even vodka. I finally decided to listen to my body and quit. It's an adjustment, but soda water and juice keep me happy when I'm out and I feel so much better now.

interesting when this happened to me in the past, my girlfriends thought the same thing, too much Alcohol I knew and my husband knew from experience what the problem was. I became incapacitated and was unable to function. It was very scary. I truly believe it is to do with how fresh the sea food is. I say that because I can eat good fish and drink wine, at Whole Foods and do not have this issue. I refuse to eat fish and drink at a restaurant that I am not familiar with.

I have been struggling with this for the past 2 years. It was finally a nurse friend of mine who knew 2 other people that had combined shell fish with red wine and ended up in the ER. For me it was Thai food and one time sushi, or shrimp with wine. I ate it for months with no problem, and then suddenly I became violently ill. It would hit me about 12 hours after eating, the vomiting lasted another 6 to 8 hours, red flush face, slept for 16 hours, leg muscle cramps. I gave up seafood....Thai food has fish sauce. I can eat salmon or tuna, but no shellfish. What happened most recently was a pizza I ate with sun dried tomatoes and one glass of red wine. The same violent symptoms occurred.
I have been allergy tested....have no food allergies. The allergist said that a sensitivity is different. If you Google Histamine Reaction, you will find all of these symptoms listed there. It seems to be a combination of high histamine food combined with alcohol....also high in histamines.
For me, a red wine lover.....I have given up the shellfish and Thai food.....I will pass on the vino to prevent ever being this sick again!!

I are seafood late night ....I have eaten seafood very often but first time I had some champagne at the end of the meal...and only a shandy with my meal..I did not get drunk ....but my balance was awfully ...I speak and think rationally and was ok when lying down...the syptoms have take 20 hours to go any idea why?

I recently had this reaction to red wine & scallops. Then thinking back two other times I was sick and had tuna & beer (I know terrible combination). I had my gallbladder out 3 years ago and was wondering if that is a contributing factor. Curious of how many following have had gallbladder surgery?

this has nothing to do with the gallbladder I have been dealing with this for 10 plus years and only recently have I discovered others with the same condition. No doctor could diagnose. I did that myself through research and chats like this.

I have found that sulfates play a big role. For me it is the freshness of the fish and the decency of the wine etc. For me I only can eat Fish and Drink at Whole Foods, they have an amazing fish bar/restaurant this is not a push for the store, but they have consistency fresh fish. If in doubt do not eat any fish that you do not know the freshness of their products. The consequences are very bad. I have found each time I have a reaction it is worse than the one before. I never want to go there again.......

Hope this helps you all.

Hi

I have this and would like to have tearing down to confirm it. Does anyone know what the testing is called so I can tell my doctor?

Thanks
Carlene

I don't know of any testing, when I had mentioned to my primary care, they were unfamiliar with this type of reaction.....I was tested and it all came back normal. It is NOT an allergy per se for me personally. It is a REACTION very strange. Had this for years and not until I found this website/chat did I realize that I was not alone.

same here. 3 glasses of wine a some shrimp or crab legs have done it for me three times now over the past 5 years. I just thought it was something in my system or hormones. I get to the point I almost black out.....and on 3 glasses of wine? My husband put the two together and I will not combine the two again!

I have had the vimiting and diarrhea reaction to a prawn dinner wih wine. I thought it was the wine...only 1 glass. A year later I went to an event and decided on no alcohol. I had 1 piece if shrimp before dinner and onset of queasiness as dinner was served followed by leaving the event early and being ill all night...so I ruled out alcohol. However, I am allergic to sulfa eye drops and wine makes my nose stuffy. I think it is the sulfite.

When i eat red meat and drink alcohol whether wine or beer, I have to go and have loose stools. Why????

So i drank some bottles of alcohol (small ones, like 5.8%) after having shrimp earlier for dinner. I wound up puking for a good 10 minutes. I've never had a reaction like this before, is it just the combination of the 2?