I have been having bad cramps for many years,butnit like the one all these post are talking about till about 30 minites ago.First one just like rest of you are having.I have to thank an exfriend for it not last as long as you all are dealing with.He told me to put 91% rubbing alcahol on it, been doing this with other cramps for about 3yrs.With in 5min pain was easing up.Like another person said my ankles have been cramping and drawing inward. The cramp I just had was worst pain ever had both legs sametime almost passed out,thought i was going to vomit then started sweat over entire body just like other people said.the alcahol stopped it, but I'm starting to feel small cramps again. My son googled my condition found this site.Im 55yrs old started BP meds less than 3yrs ago 100 mg of losartan with 25mg fluid med together have lost 82lbs now taking 50/12.5 same med give alcahol a try it will keep you from crying like I did thank God my son was here alcahol was in bathroom I was in kithen would have never made it to bathroom.Going to see. about joining site so can check back.Be Praying for us all. Thanks to you all for sharing and thank for web page.

I've had these cramps off and on for a few years but it was only recently that I connected them to my sugar intake. I've totally cut out sugar and many carbs and the cramps have receded. I found a website that I cannot share here because of the rules of the site. I rely on pickle juice for relief from the cramps. I take my supplements and try to get my minerals in foods I eat, too.

Dear Cby - As your symptoms were closet to what I am going through - even being on BP meds, I just wanted to update you all on something that is now happening with me. I posted the long post from 2 months ago after reading others here. I am being tested for a neurological disorder called, of all weird things, 'Stiff Person Syndrome.' What a name. It used to be 'Stiff Man Syndrome' and is also called 'The Tin Man' Disease. Lovely.But I did chuckle when I read your physical therapists suggestion!

My cardiologist sent me to a neurologist last month, and because by accident my GP had but me on baclofen to reduce the spasms, and valilum to stop the thigh seizures when or before they hit, she immediately started testing for this disorder. Turns out these are among the meds prescribed for this. The test for antigens first, and I am negative. That's great, but 40% with SPS are. They suspect it as my symptoms are so classic. It is now progressing to the right thigh, and my legs literally locked while walking down the street two weeks ago...not good if you are crossing the street! Luckily I was half a block from home and had my cane. I took a valium, stood there till it released, and slowly managed to hobble home. But it put the fear of God in me about going out ever since.

Anyway, I have an EMG on Monday to see if the nerves are hyper-active. SPS is rare, most patients are misdiagnosed for about 7 years! as few doctors have even heard of it. As many things can cause spasms, even common medications - I thought this was a result of the nerves being impinged by the stenosis. Now I hope to God it is... I will keep you posted, but if symptoms persist, talk to your doctor again about a neuro work up. Just in case.I never suspected any of this was anything more than a simple but really bad cramp...Stay strong, And thanks to all for your suggestions. PMC

I keep thinking that what 90% of us have in common is that we are prone when the cramps hit. This explains what is happening while I'm sleeping and prone, and where things could be going wrong. Ill definitely try thr Molasses!

I quickly looked up "Stiff Man Syndrome" and it sounds gruesome. I have been going through several ideas with my Dr and she has suggested a neurological test as well. My spasm/ cramps are the worst when it involves the inner thigh and legs but it happens to all my muscle groups. My whole back will cramp and seize up. Or my toes and feet will curl. Like you I can be up and be moving around when I seize up. If I am absolutely careful about my sugar intake it can be weeks without the cramps. But I keep testing what I can eat and drink and that's when I cramp up again. The only bright spot in this torture is the weight loss.

I also get inner thigh cramps, started taking a teaspoon of mustard once it starts and within 5 minutes it is gone. Heard this from a friend and not sure why it works but I keep a bottle by my bed just incase. Also heard a cup of V8 a day helps.

I started having these also, went to the emergency room I was screaming from the pain it was unbearable. He told me I was dehydrated dehydrated. It scares me slot. Know o a search to see what is going on also.
He said something about quanine but he also told me it was dangerous. Doctor so far not much help. Nervous for when it happens again.

It really does help to keep hydrated....my cramps are so much worse if I drink alcohol (which dehydrates). I took quinine for a short time but hated the way it made me feel (plus I didn't like what I read about it). There is a small amount of quinine in tonic water, which helps some people. Taking magnesium supplement is what has helped me the most. I used to live in fear of cramps (which I would get in various muscles in my right leg, approximately 6-7 times a night)...mine is significantly better. I hope your (and everyone else on this thread) cramps improve.

Rubbing Aspercreme on inner thigh helps In a few minutes.

As soon as the fire burning /cramps start or in full blown pain I drink 11.1 oz. of pure coconut water. It stops the spasm quicker than anything l have tried. It starts working with in a minute.

I have been reading all these posts and the severity of this sudden onset cramping is truly debilitating. I had an episode last night and have found hot water or hot compresses on the impacted area have almost immediate relief. The issue is the restricted ability to get to the shower and get your clothes off. I started with hot towels from the kitchen and that gave me just enough mobility to hobble like a deranged gorilla to the shower. once the water was warm enough, the cramps almost immediately disappeared. If I get this attended to/have close proximity to the shower, there is no pain after. I believe for me there is a link to sugar. Others have commented avid cyclists suffer from these sudden cramps and while I have been doing quite a bit of cycling these past few days, I had a very high dose of sugar late at night with a couple extra large frosted birthday cake slices followed by a handful of red licorice. What was I thinking? It has been years but the sudden and severe pain reminded be not to overdo the sugar intake - particularly at night!! Others have posted ideas on eating mustard or baking soda. Will keep those in mind but most importantly, be more responsible about sugar intake.

I have had the same thing happen to me, and left me sore for a few days. What I do to make it go away instantly is to get out of bed and stand straight up and flatten my foot where my cramp is occurring against the flat ground. Cramp usually goes away instantly, if it doesn't I use an electrical massager and that takes care of it.

To relieve the pain put a hot towel on your cramped leg that'll help relax the muscle that spasming.

What a relief(?) to read your messages as i have just had my first bout of cramps
after returning from a 13 mile walk in the pouring rain.
I unfortunately left walking shoes at home but as i had on a comfortable pair of leather loafers decided to go ahead. It was wet underfoot so a bit uncomfortable but all in all went well.
I returned home, had dinner and then 'wham' I thought i was going to be sick and pass out, the pain like nothing i have ever experienced before (and i have had 2 children)
It started in one leg, went to the other, then to both and was excruciating.
My partner rang 111 in desperation and i ended up in A&E but it was so busy that i returned home and somehow got through the night with spasms continuing, finally clearing in the early hours. My thighs are now incredibly sore and i am left terrified that it will happen again - especially after reading some of the blogs.My stepdaughters friend is a nurse and advised tonic water with quinine and i have taken on board all your recommendations - just in case!
I have had two replacement hips (3 years ago) so have been on other walks so can only think it was an accumulation of circumstances.
It has made me very wary however and i will visit this site in the future for updates.
Good luck to you all.

Thank God for WWW I thought I was the only one that had this complaint, I get cramp everywhere neck, arms, tummy and legs mostly, but the worst is the inner thigh, and thankfully that one is rare 2/3 times a year. I can usually cope with all the leg cramps I know which stretch to do to stop it, the tummy ones roam around and I tend to sit very still and trying holding it in one place until it passes, but the thigh ones are the worst I don't know what to do to help it stop. I can't help crying out with that one I started years ago and the Dr gave me Quinn tablets it did ease the severity (I think) I also drink tonic water daily and try to drink a litre of water as well. As you probably guess I was woken at 3am with an inner thigh one last night. I will try and eat more potassium, but would be grateful if anyone has found anything that works I see most of these post are a year old now.