This is an update to my post above. I stopped taking the losartan for 2 weeks and went from having these cramps 2-3 times a day in different areas of my body to having one a week. Amazing. I am now trying a different high blood pressure medicine.

Next time this happens be prepared. Have an 8oz. Glass of dill pickle juice next to your bed or crawl to the fridge (as I generally do) and open up the jar of pickles and gulp down juice fast as possible. You'll find that the cramping will subside nearly immediately. Also put an ice pack on the affected area.

I don't take any BP meds at all and I have had these cramps for years now off and on. I found pressing on the thigh with and ice pack helps me the most. Also drink lots of water and taking my calcium and D3 seems to help. I have found that sudden stretches seem to cause them either when in bed or just after getting up. Sitting for to long of a time triggers them too. Sure wish there was and instant fix. I put this pain right up there with giving birth.

I get the exact same thing - terrible pain wakes me from apparently sleeping in a position that causes the cramp. Mine seemsvto run along thr gracillus tendon line in my left leg. Gatorade and baking soda helps sometimes, and takkng the hen hawthorne, proposed to be a vascular dialator that may help circulation. God it hurts so bad sometimes I fight to stay awake 'cuz I afraid of the pain coming.

Ice packs relieve the pain.

I found out that when you sleep, the minerals in your body pass between your Muscles, bones and blood. If you are depleted of calcium, magnesium and potassium your muscles will cramp as you all describe. The best natural source of those 3 minerals is Blackstrap Molasses, the Bre'r Rabbit brand. Within minutes of taking a spoonful or two, the cramp goes away. I had an undiagnosed growth in my gut that was causing me to be depleted of minerals.

I have had similar cramps...one doctor suggested low magnesium, esp. after working physically hard. I now carry a bottle of DISTILLED WATER with me wherever I go. The balance between the potassium, magnesium and calcium levels in the body is critical, esp. for the heart. The distilled water does not affect the balance, since the water is distilled and neutral. Once I get about a quart of distilled water in me ... and sit on the edge of the toilet rim (i.e. pressure on the inner thigh)...the pain subsides. This is what works for me every time. And yes, if left to subside on its own...the severe cramps spread and are very, very debilitating and extremely painful...and if caused by severe magnesium depletion will probably affect the heart, being a muscle that relies on magnesium.

I have the same thing happen to me, I usually at night. I eat 5 or 6 tums. It's the only thing that stops the cramp. It is excruciating.!

I know this will sound stupid but slice slivers off a soap bar and put them in ur socks and between ur mattress and bed sheet. Also when the cramping occurs eat a spoonful of yellow mustard or a swallow of pickle juice.

I heat up a rice sock in the microwave and then apply it to my inner thigh. I have found that the moist heat will alleviate the cramping almost immediately. I've also taken quinine disolvable pills under my tongue. However, the moist heat works the best.

My cramps are getting so bad I had to search online to see what causes them. Tonight was the worst it's been. I've read several posts and I can relate to several. I have excruciating inner thigh muscle cramps that hurt so bad I sweat. I take bp meds, I take meds for low thyroid, too. The only thing I've found to help in the middle of the cramping is pickle juice. While the pickle juice helps I have to drink so much of it now to get through the muscle spasm. I keep it with me wherever I go. I also noticed the cramps occur after eating anything with sugar. I've cut out all sugar and yet there is hidden sugar in things you wouldn't suspect. I stay away from all sugar and caffeine. I was told that it couldn't be sugar but I ate some candy and noticed cramping in my fingers and feet. Even fruit will cause cramping after 40 minutes. I get cramping all over my body but the inner thigh muscle cramps are the most painful and last the longest. Walking or stretching isn't possible during these cramps. My physical therapist suggested spreading my legs. I laughed. Movement of any kind causes the muscle to grip harder. I would like to know what is going on with my body.

I have had kidney stones that many say are equal to child birth, but the inner thigh cramps went way past that pain. The sweats, and shakes and nausia etc were also unbearable. I have good news though. A friend suggested that I go to "the vitemin shop" after about a year of trying things that did not work because they always have someone there that has a degree in nutrition. The person there said he also gets them, and sugested Magnesium oil in a spray bottle. It is 100% magnesium. I sprayed it on the inner thjigh when I felt one trying to come on. I rubbed it in and after about 15 minutes the sensation that one was about to happen totally went away. I now use it along with 750 mg of magnesium citrate and so far, no cramps. He also suggested that I take potassium, but not with the magnesium (One in the morning and one in the evening) because they don,t staurate well when taken at the same time. I am so grateful.

Hi. Thanks for your reply. I must admit since posting about my cramps and suffering for a few years they are minimal now. I take high strength ginkgo biloba every morning and also magnesium morning and night. I now only cramp up at night about once a week. Hope others have improved, it is pure agony.

Thank God for this site, as none of my doctors have ever heard of this thigh cramp condition - toe and calf cramps, yes. Killer thigh cramps form hell, no. I get the feeling many doctors (except one who gets severe calf cramps) think I am either a hypochondriac or a lunatic...but you all know, this is r e a l.

I have had these spasms for over 8 years - always in the left leg - until a month ago when it was both thighs. I can feel the muscles (three bands) begin to spiral around the thigh bone, and was sure one night it would actually snap the bone if I hadn't stood up! My husband, who was still alive the first time it occurred, heard me screaming, and made me stand up, which is seriously the first thing you must do when they start. Or else the muscles will continue to strengthen and tighten in a spiral. And you are at their mercy. He was a soccer player, so he understood immediately.

Luckily, my family doctor prescribed an anti-spasmotic drug for me, Baclofen 10 mg, which I take every night. It helps, but when a mega cramp hits, only 5 mg of valium seem to actually stop a spasm in progress. So I carry meds with me everywhere, just in case now. But valium is a controlled substance, and doctors are reluctant to prescribe it. I use it sparingly as A. it works, and B. I don't want to build up a tolerance to the only thing that saves me..Seriously, I don't think I would be here still without it.

Mine usually come on just as I am waking up. Now I leap out of bed, and force myself to stand - and then am locked in place in horrific pain. Immediately after it starts, I am bathed in a full body cold sweat. I try not to scream as I live in NYC and someone will call 911. My fear is they will break down the door as I can't move...I always keep a valium tablet on the nightstand - but the last time it hit, I was draped over the dresser, and could barely reach over for the pillbox.

I took the valium, but didn't have any water! (or saliva in my mouth), so I just prayed it would dissolve. It took the longest two minutes ever before I could feel the grip of the spasm release. That is one powerful muscle spasm! But it started again in a few minutes, less severe, so I walked, iced, and cried...Almost two hours of that, just surreal. My concern is that my heart will stop one of these times.But, do keep water next to your bed...

I take magnesium oxide 500 mg, calcium 600 mg and vitamin D3 with K at night, and baclofen. The calcium was only added this week, and still, last night at 4 am I was up, taking half a valium as I felt that familiar twinge in the thigh that precedes an attack... I use pillows - one to keep by feet from relaxing, one under the knees, and another along the left leg to prevent it from turning outward. I do have spinal stenosis, degenerative spine, 2 herniated discs, arthritis, etc. All the fun things of living 68 years, and I also broke my L leg 20 years ago. But this is worse than the pain from that fall down the subway stairs! .

However, after the last episode, I was ill for days afterward - like I had the flu. And I can feel the thigh muscle is lumpy under the skin....? I have been checked for peripheral artery disease - negative...And my carotid is fine....I make sure I am hydrated, BUT I am on BP meds - 25 mg metroprolol morning and night. The cramps started when I was put back on BP meds, and diurectics, which I stopped. But I am sure there is a link to these BP meds for me.

I have tried mustard, pickle juice, and I almost aspirated apple cider vinegar once, so be careful with that one. Maybe quinine is next. I read hot & spicy tastes will shock your system out of a cramp, but I would choke on that too! Now I am trying an electrolyte tablet called NUNN you dissolve in water - if I can get to it during a spasm...It hit last week in the grocery store, and I leaned on the shopping cart and grabbed a valium from my purse. Then I just left the store after I could stand. Scary in public...

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. Because I found this site, I could at least prove to my doctors I wasn't the only one..or imagining this all. Sorry anyone has to live with this. There has to be a logical cause, and a cure. I am sure my doctors still think I am exaggerating, but, till you go through it, no one can fathom how close to death this feels..Take good care, and the best to you all....♥