I have had this excruciating pain while lying down, intermittently for years. A holistic doctor recommended Magnesium which worked very well but then I was having a lot of loose stool so I backed off the magnesium and now try to get enough dark chocolate or cashews/almonds and this seems to help. But you must take some of these faithfully daily.

I just started taking a magnesium supplement called Cramp Defense that I found online. It's manufactured by MG Bright LLC. It's pricey but not as high as you'd find on Amazon. The truth is it works. I've been taking it for four capsules daily for two weeks and have been able to control the cramping. The big test was when I had a slice of cheesecake at my son's birthday party. Normally anything with sugar would trigger a severe cramp within two hours. But I took my magnesium and slept through the night without any cramping. There is no diarrhea side effect either. Win-Win

My cramps sound so similar to yours. Would I do now is I take magnesium citrate every day to eliminate these cramps and keep them at bay. I also keep a bottle of tonic water by my bed and at various places in the house I can get to it quickly if a cramp comes on.

Ask your doctor about Dystonia. There are several different types of this neurological disorder. It is important that a specialist correctly identifies the type of Dystonia as each type requires a different treatment. Very painful condition.

Not true, I am a 51 year old man and I just got one (one of many); only this one in the back instead of the inner thigh. This was the worst yet! For the first time ever I began to feel as though I was going to vomit, I mean like really nauseated. Then I began to black out from the pain and broke into cold sweats. I ended up have on and half off my bed afraid to move, screaming in agony. I thought I was having a heart attack from it; I have never felt such excruciating prolonged pain in my life! After it finally subsided, I laid there afraid to move praying and pleading to God saying, I am afraid to move lest it start again. I literally would not wish this kind of pain on anybody. These are even worse than the ones in my feet where it feels like the bones are trying to push out the bottom...it is unreal to me after reading at least fifty of these posts that no doctor seems to take this seriously or knows what to do abut it?

I have read many postings here from both men and women. I have talked to men at work who have the same thing. The common denominator is the high blood pressure medication. It isn't one brand either. I discovered that sugar in any form was the trigger for the cramping. What I have done to ease the pain during an episode is drink pickle juice. What I've done to decrease the cramps is take Cramp Defense which is a high absorption magnesium supplement. But what seems to be helping the most is increasing my Vitamin D intake. As long as I stay away from all sugar, take the supplements, I can fend off cramps and just relax.

I've experienced these horrible cramps three times. I keep eucalyptus spearmint oil from bath & body beside my bed. It helps somewhat. I have asked my female doctor about these cramps. She didn't seem too concerned. I think it's my last day on earth whenever these occur! Horrific pain!!!

I get these occasionally and my father gets them regularly, keep a bottle of Mineral Ice on hand and as soon as you feel the spasm coming on rub it on the inner thigh area. it will usually get rid of my cramp in minutes.. they truly are horrible, worst pain ive ever felt!! good luck!!!

I’ve had these for many years and have passed out twice from the severe pain. Interesting that you found tums to work, me too! I take 3-4 tums when they start, that shortens the time it takes for the muscle to relax. I’m so glad I found your post!

I have had these off and on for about 13 years and last night was a bad one and then another not as bad this morning!!! I take potassium and magnesium both and drink about 40 ozs or more of water a day I am going to add the calcium! I had these before I took losartan Ice packs help me I have two in the freezer if i can make it or my husband gets for me and hold on there it helps. I did notice this morning while I was holding the pack on my thigh i started shaking the ice pack back and forth between my thighs and it just faded away totally !!!! No idea why just held the pack hard between thighs and shook it back and forth. I will do that next time. I have also ask several dr no one knows oh drink water or take potassium blah blah blah. Wish I could just give them the pain at that moment so the could see what I was saying. This HAS to be more than a muscle cramp!! GOD HELP US ALL !!!

I take a teaspoon of mustard also and it helps me within a few minutes

I found the resolve!! I use pure Magnesium oil and spray it on the muscle about 1 hour before bed and NO CRAMPS NO MORE!!!!! I went to the vitamin shop and the guy told me he gets them too and he uses the magnesium oil and it works, so I bought some and man what a relief. It has been a couple years now and I now don't have to use it as much. The muscle now gives me plenty of warning that it is going to cramp so I just spray some and rub it in and just like that the slight warning cramp goes away. I have not had to use it now for about a month, but have it on hand just in case of another warning. It is important though that you don't put it on after a shower because the salt in it goes into the spoors because of the hot shower. The spoors then being open absorbs it much faster and and it stings. also keep your underwear on when spraying....