Did you ever find out what was causing this?

Has anyone gotten any answers from a Doctor? Everyone says they'll get back with results but have not seen anything definitive from a medical exam. I think the doctor who commented on this topic basically posted about cramps in general and didn't grasp the intensity of this excruciating and debilitating cramp that feels like you are going to literally die from the pain. Absolutely not to be compared to a basic leg cramp or charlie horse!! I have had 6 or 7 episodes in the past couple of years and my doctor doesn't have any idea. Nothing she's heard about and my levels for calcium, magnesium, potassium came back normal. She assured me it's not a blood clot even though I told her it's what I imagine the pain of one the size of a golf ball might feel like. Every intense episode, always happens at night in bed out of nowhere, no major movement, but I can feel it start as a contraction and now immediately jump out of bed and put pressure on that foot getting it flat which seems to lesson it both with the intensity of pain and longevity. (someone on a forum posted that suggestion and I am very grateful). What appears to be a heat rash (like prickly heat) follows immediately on the affected thigh and literally feels hot to touch. Maybe anxiety? Maybe part of whatever is happening to that muscle and blood flow? I drink a lot of water, am not overweight, take a thyroid pill daily and some vitamin B and D which I have tested deficient in both. I really want to know why I am getting these horrific cramps and what to do about it.

I seriously cannot imagine dealing with the pain in an attack on both thighs at once! I hope the magnesium works for you. I have been taking it for years with calcium (needed for absorption) but unfortunately it has not been my savior with these horrific attacks that I've experienced the past 2 years. Like you, mine happen with simple movement changing position in bed. I feel the contraction start and my first words, are "OH S%#T! A bunch of OH NO's!! And a few more cuss words follow before the intense grunts, moans and tears.

Read some info on dehydration so lately trying extra water at bedtime which seems to help with the intensity and also the second the contraction starts I start gulping water. Thanks to another post on another forum, I have found that standing immediately when you feel that contraction coming on and putting as much pressure FLAT footed as you can does help with the intensity and longevity of the cramp, contraction, whatever that monster is that's tying your muscle in a knot so tight you think you not going to live through it. Although standing is the last thing you think you can do since you can barely move, flex or straighten your leg...it has to be forced. And breath (like a mom in lamaze...in your nose, out your mouth) I think waiting for it to take It's course is by far the most intensely painful way to deal with this.

With regular research on this, I still have found no one who has a proper medical diagnoses and my own doctor, internist, is clueless. Gives the basic response, stretch, eat a banana, take more magnesium calcium, etc. I had the worst episode the night I ate 2 bananas! I hope we all find an answer soon as to why this is happening and what to do about it. In the meantime, it's good to know we are not alone!

I have never experienced such horrible pain. It brings me to tears and I start praying for the pain to go away. My cramps hit both of my inner thighs at the same time and move down to my feet. Your are correct as far as doctors not wanting to address this problem. What has helped me is dragging myself to the bathtub and filling it up with as hot water as I could stand and laying hot wet towels overy my thighs. The heat from the hot water and towels seems to relax the muscles. Also I have a bottle of sour cherry juice on my night stand which has been recommended. I do not know it is related but I did have my thyroid removed and take a bill everyday; also I take high blood pressure pills. This sounds crazy but if I eat a bowl of ice cream before I go to bed it happens more frequently.

I have been getting these horrible inner thigh cramps for years. They are worse than childbirth labor.. I cry so hard and cannot move. The only thing that helps is an ice pack. I have to force myself to drag to the freezer. I had one at work and didnt have ice so I had to dig and knead the spot. That worked but its horrible and embarrassing in public, so I dont go anywhere but work, and only because I have to. Its humilliating because the pain is so excruciating, you cannot keep quiet, so there is a bit of a scene. I dont go out to eat, dont go to movies....nothing......I never know when they will strike. And its true that you wish you could just drop dead because the pain is so unbearable. Trying to move or walk it off just makes the cramp squeeze up harder. Its nothing like a calf charlie horse....you can walk that off in seconds.

Follow up: thank you to the person who posted about getting to your feet, no matter how painful, and putting your weight , flat-footed, on the cramping thigh leg, and bearing down against the floor as hard as you can with a straight leg. I have had four episodes in the past three weeks and tried this. The cramp was gone in about 10 seconds. Before, I would hobble, in horrible pain, to the freezer to get an ice pack. I would have to get to the table where I could lean forward and hang onto it with an ice pack squeezed between my thighs. You cannot get comfortable while it is happening. All the while sobbing like a big baby from the unrelenting pain. It took wbout 15 of the longest minutes of my life for it to start letting up. With this straight leg, all weight pressed on a flat foot against the floor method, relief is almost instsntaneous. Whoever posted that......you are my hero! God bless you!

Do you have spine issues? I have dealing with this issue for 6 years... I have had 7 major back issues and the cramps started once my spine started to go. I did ask my neurosurgeon about this and he did say that it "could" be related to the damaged nerves in my spine???

That is exactly how I deal with them... But the recover is still in the several minutes for me. I can feel the start of one coming on and I get to my feet asap and push towards the floor. I good to go in about 5 minutes. before I figured this method out I would have to just ride it our and scream

I first had one of these attacks 3 years ago after walking all day in the heat of the summer. I most likely didn't drink much water that day and suddenly woke up from a deep sleep with the worst burning, sharp pain in my inner right thigh. Nothing I did seemed to relieve it and the pain was so bad I couldn't keep from crying. It was really scary but eventually eased up after about a quart of Gatorade. I thought my attacks were related to dehydration as well as my inability to fully extend my right knee after arthroscopic surgery to repair my ACL and meniscus. I walk with a slight bend in my right knee which I think leads to tightness in my right hamstring and unequal strength and range of motion in that right leg. These attacks occur at night after a day of increased walking. As everyone has mentioned, this is not your normal charlie horse cramp. It is what I imagine a hot knife would feel like plunged into that inner thigh muscle. They happen when I change position during my sleep. While I stand crying hysterically and try to walk, my husband frantically gets me lots of water, potassium and magnesium pills, a muscle relaxer and the heating pad and the pain gradually eases up. I don't know if it is one or all of these things that work, but I would much rather do something for prevention than suffer through another attack of that debilitating pain. I might add that I am a very calm,laid back and somewhat cynical ER nurse who used to roll my eyes when patients told me their pain was a 10 on a 1-10 pain scale. However, I must say this dear friends that this is a big fat 10!! Thanks for all your input, and keep those suggestions coming. I would love to see us all have permanent relief.

hi , I thought I was going mad because this happening to me but I now know im not alone, everything your saying about the pain is me to a tee, now it happens in my stomach and actually lifts my liver and stays there until the spasm has pass but the pain is so severe I nearly pass out, when the spasm has gone I can feel the liver fall back down I know it sounds crazy but its true, ive spoken to my renal doctor and he seems to think its not to do with that so im lost .

I have experienced these as well, will try some of the remedies as described in some of the reads. I personally, walk force myself to walk them out, always in my R leg and use my right hand to pound them, it is still excruciating to do so, but walking them out and pounding them seems to keep the cramps from setting in solid. I to, almost vomit, sweat, almost pass out, but they seem a little intensive by forcing myself to walk them out. I will try the remedies in the reads, plus walking them out and pounding them out.

66 Year old woman. I have had these problems since being rear ended in my vehicle. I use to just cry while both upper thighs cramped up till all I could do is curl in a ball and pant and cry. It would take 20 mins or more for them to begin to subside. I had googled this problem and got a lot of different thoughts. I She was wonderful and so was the site. I had a friend that suggested Arnica Montana as this had helped her. The woman was wonderful and rushed me a vial of this in 1 day. Now until my Doctor can help me with the "root" problem I take this 2 - 3 times a day. I was taking a smaller dose but was still waking up with the spasms. She suggested I switch to a 200 C dose at night. Since then the only time I have got the cramps back was when I forgot to take them. The 30's do well in the daytime and the 200's get me through the night. Nothing is ever perfect for all so you have to keep trying to find what will help you. Diane

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I feel for you. I've experienced these my whole life, usually after exerting my legs to heavy exercise. I try to hydrate before going to bed and stretching prior to bed seems to help. These cramps are EXTREMELY painful and debilitating for sure.

I have them in every muscle in my legs. I have torn hamstring from trying to straighten out my leg.now I'm in physical therapy. My leg muscles are all very tight. Tried all the remedies. Told I will have to learn how to walk correctly. My back pain has caused abnormal gait. I'm having them all day and night and are very painful.

What BP med do you take? I get these two and I think I am going to die. I scream like a crazy person there is nothing that helps the pain go away.