Sorry you are suffering with the cramps so much. Stretching the muscles off before bed also helps, as does magnesium or arnica oil that you can massage into the muscle before bed. Good luck.

Many thanks... I tried the 'frog stretch' which is supposed to help the piriformis? muscle - but that made my back spasm - so now I just do calf stretches...My problem is, I don't know what movement will set a spasm off. I am also using Salonpas patches - and they have been helping...I will check into the magnesium spray and arnica oil. I see a neurologist end of May. I will update after that.
All the best to you!

I hope it's still working for you. I have to try something as they really are the worst!!! I try telling people how horrible they are and nobody understands. People respond like a charley horse? I'm like noooooo not even close.

you are describing a cure for a different type of cramp. this is not an ordinary cramp. it is something that only those of us who get them understand.

I get those horrible cramps in my thigh too and I rely on pickle juice for relief. I used to drink Gatorade for the electrolytes but it caused me to have high blood pressure. Now I just take supplements faithfully and stay away from sugar. 
I told my Dr I thought it had to do with the sugar and that is on the list. I avoid all sugar and the cramps are less frequent now. The thing is I have to watch what I eat as some fruits and vegetables will cause cramping 3 hours after eating.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I have the inner thigh cramps also. They come in waves of 7-10 then subside enough to walk the rest off. However, I recently found a way to decrease this. As soon as you feel a cramp coming on stand up, legs close together, lock your knees and bend at the waist then just dangle like you are going to touch your toes. Don't be in a hurry to straighten back up. You will still have to endure a cramp or two. I also found 2 Tylenol and really cold water after the above suggestion help as does a hot shower, I have a hand held so directing the water on the cramp site is easier. Cramping while driving is more difficult but if you pull over and can get out the knee lock dangle works. This may not work for everyone. But if it helps one person it's enough. Oh never try to massage an inner thigh cramp it doesn't really help and the bruising and days after soreness are worse. Good luck and stay well hydrated

OMG....I have been saying that sugar has something to do with my cramps all along. You are the first I've heard mention sugar. I will start right now to avoid sugars. All my doctor's have said sugar doesn't play a part. Wow.. I live daily paranoid that a c**p is going to come on. Honestly I would rather die then live my life with these cramps. They are NOT a normal Charlie horse cramp. I get them simultaneously in both legs at once and they can work their way to my saids and abdomen.

When you said sugar was on the list... What list are you talking about?

My doctor told me sugar shouldn't affect or cause cramps but I know for a fact that it does. Due to my experience​s. I don't want to live like this. I was taking a drug called chloroquine wish totally helped me. It totally prevented the cramps. But they no longer make that drug in the USA. I live in fear of another cramp coming on.

Thank you for your post. I have never heard of Nunn or the use of Valium. I too am thankful for this site. I am not alone, whew. I searched and searched for answers on the internet and finally yesterday found this site. So thankful. Now if the medical field would find answers for those of us that suffer these debilitating cramps. I just feel better knowing and hearing that others are going through the same thing I am going through. I however have linked sugar to bringing on cramps... Not all the time but most of the times. Have you found that to be the case as well?

It was only these past few months that I linked the cramps to sugar and found a website that listed 18 causes of mineral depletion and sugar was on the list. " for every molecule of sugar our bodies use 54 molecules of magnesium to process it. Insulin surges use up our zinc. Sugar also depletes magnesium, potassium and robs your bones of minerals in general. A high sugar diet results in increased losses of chromium through the urine." Hidden sugars are my biggest fear these days.

I found a website that listed 18 causes of mineral depletion. This is what it says about sugar; for every molecule of sugar our bodies use 54 molecules of magnesium to process it. Insulin surges use up our zinc. Sugar also depletes magnesium, potassium and robs your bones of minerals in general. A high sugar diet results in increased losses of chromium through the urine.

OMG....I am beyond thankful to you. Would give you the biggest huge if you were here in the Seattle area. I have searched and searched and found nothing. The internet is a vast arena for information and sometimes you find things and other times you just go in circles. I would love to know what site you got this info from. I'm new to this site but I'm sure there may be restrictions on posting links and private info. I am desperate to become more educated on this. I can't live like this. I drive transit buses for a living and I'm beyond paranoid of having an episode while driving down the freeway. Not only that but my doctors really need to be informed about this. So any information you can give me possibly in more detail or if somehow or another you can let me know where you found the information I would be ever so grateful. Doing a happy dance for what info you've given me so far. I knew.... KNEW there was a relationship to sugar. Wow

What does the ginko do? I have started magnesium morning and night and it has truly helped. I'm so thankful for this forum.

Hi
So pleased the magnesium has helped!
I have been taking the gingko for about 5 years now, alongside the magnesium, and it really does seem to help. I started taking it because I knew it was meant to be good for improving circulation....I was so desperate at the time that I was trying anything. I can go a couple of days without taking it but by the third day they are back with a vengeance. When I exercise I really suffer that evening with cramping but find that gentle stretching helps. My cramps are only a fraction of what they were 10 years ago so don't give up hope, it's a matter of finding something that works for you.