Can I just say, I'm from England and we don't have chlorine in our bathing water yet i get them all the time. I just got out of the shower and I'm furiously itchy all over my chest, back, arms and hands. It's driving me mad! My friend said it could be something like carpet mites on our towels....

I just went to a dermotologist yesterday and one of my problems is the itchy red bumps when I get out of the shower. She told me that is is from the water beating down on me from the shower. (which sounds logical because I get the bumps on my upper back and chest and shoulders, right where the water beats on me) She told me to use Cetaphil wash and to not use a sponge/loofah or anything that would irritate my skin. She said when getting out of shower to pat my skin dry with the towel and not to rub with the towel. Any kind of rubbing could bring out the bumps and then the histamine and don't scratch it because that just brings out more histamine.

Hi. :-|

I also had issues with itchy red skin after a shower such as red splotches, welts, and being able to scratch my name on my skin where it would become a raised, itchy welt. I also had random outbreaks of itchy, burning welts.

I discovered that these issues were NOT so much from chlorine in the shower water (although I recommend a good filter to help if you have sensitive skin as the chlorine can make your skin itchy and red), but from a medication I was on for its anti-inflammatory properties: meloxicam.

So, maybe for some of you it's your shower water and you need a filter, or the water is way too hot, or its your detergent and you need a new laundry detergent. Maybe its food related (acid from orange juice, or something else you're eating), or its meloxicam, or, maybe something else you've been prescribed recently.

This experience is not fun and can be discouraging, especially when you're due for a shower. So I hope you each find your solution and get better! :-)

I am honestly believing that is it a form of heat rash or a skin condition if it happens when you sweat... see a doctor.

Hello everybody!

I have to admit I almost couldn't believe my eyes when I saw so many people having this problem. The same with me, as soon as shower water starts running down my body a lot of red, itchy blotches appear on my back, chest and upper arms, lasting for half an hour or even more after I finish showering. I have read this entire thread and I'd like to add my personal experience with this annoying problem:

- I also take hot showers, maybe because I'm always freezing (someone said this before). Showering with warm, NOT hot water seems to be helping a little bit. But I still hate not taking a hot shower;

- this condition has nothing to do with soaps/laundry detergents, a.s.o., I've tried a lot of them, no improvement;

- it doesn't seem to have anything to do with chlorine, although I used to believe so for years. In my case I also get these red blotches in salty water or because of my own sweat;

- I read an interestig remark above, I also feel the shower water tickling me and this also seems to be a cause;

- a doctor told me that moisturizing the skin would help, it somehow does;

- I took some homeopathic remedies, they helped for a short period of time;

- it is not related to heat rash, it looks different;

- it seems to be somehow related to dermographism, I suffer from a "mild" form of it;

- I haven't found out any effective treatment, unfortunately it is a very annoying problem

Wow, so many people with the same problem and NO answer. We don't have any pictures up, so I'm gonna say mine is red, but more prominant than that are the little white bumps. They started on my shoulder, and I'm suspecting they're traveling down my lymph nodes as they now cover sections of my upper back, chest, both arms, and lightly on my legs as of lately. I believe what I am dealing with is a fungal infection related to Candida imbalance. Reducing my sugar intake and using some homeopathic fungal remedies I've beaten it back some, but its a serious struggle, and all it takes is a small amount of sugar to feed it and keep it around. The tap water seems to bring it to the surface for whatever reason, heat and moisture make fungus happy, so it would seem they all add up. Now the trick is gettin an MD to ADMIT what it is and that they don't have a cure for it. The only cure is your diet. Cut out the sugar and see if it doesn't get better in a few weeks. Don't just ignore it, if its on your skin, then its in your body as a parasite leaching your energy and toxifying your blood stream. Fight back with green juice and alkalinize your body as much as possible with healthy salads and vegetables. Seems over simplified, but give it another 5 years inhabiting your body and maybe then you'll be ready to do whatever it takes to rid yourself of it! Best of luck to you all and God bless!

I think this may be the medical term and condition that I am dealing with,but there are a lot of similar conditions out there.

Tinea Versicolor

Also called pityriasis versicolor, this is a fairly common, benign or non-cancerous skin condition that is caused by Malassezia, a kind of yeast that normally occurs on the skin. In certain conditions, such as when the skin becomes moist, oily, and warm, the yeast can overgrow, and thereby cause white spots or patches, which can also be reddish-brown in color. These usually occur in the upper arms, abdomen, neck, and thighs. Even though it is an infection, tinea versicolor occurs normally on the skin, and it is not contagious.

I'm an 18 year old male who was had these welt like hives after a shower. Had this problem now since january and it is worse the hotter the shower. Went to see my GP and he had no idea what could be the cause. Prescribed a hydrocortisone cream which has done nothing. I am prone to allergies and have tried showering with no gels or shampoos and still get hives so I assume its something in the water as I can shower at my aunties no problem. If anyone can tell me things that may help before I see a dermatologist I'd really appreciate it as I can't stand having this problem. Hives go away after 30-40 minutes.

I also have had these red itchy insect-bite-like bumps for over a year (I'm 26 years old now) , they always develop:

- a minute or so after a shower (hot or cold)

- after swimming in a river or the ocean

- when sweaty after exercise

but dissapear after about an hour if I don't scratch them too much. I thought I was allergic to water!

I went to the doctor and she instantly diagnosed me with cold urticaria - look it up on Wikipedia – it’s an allergy to cold. Mine's not too serious, just a bit annoying, so I won't do anything about it but antihistamines are supposed to help.

I bet its eczema!

Everyone in this conversation stream apparently has the same condition as I  -  cholinergic urticaria.  Meaning, a hot shower raises your body's core temperature quickly, inducing a sudden release of histamine.  Some of us react to the histamine with itchy, raised bumps.  I get them on my right arm.  I just rub a little cortisone cream on, and they recede.  Try taking shorter showers, with cooler water [not so hot].  Don't worry, it's not skin cancer, nothing's "wrong" with you.

I'm thinking maybe it has something to do with the temperature of the water. Whenever i take a shower the water is very hot so i tried taking a bath with the water being a little colder and it worked, i didn't get those red bumps.

My son has had this for several years, and it is not only hot water that causes the itchy rash if he goes swimming he also gets it. It has recently started getting worse (more itchy and lasting longer) He recently saw the GP who mentioned trying antihistamines, however he atkes these through the summer for heyfever and still gets the rash.
We ahve a water softner and this makes no difference he still comes up in it. It is really frustrating and he no longer goes swimming not even on holidays as he gets embarrassed about it

My son is 15 and like you he has suffered with this from a young age, his has only recently started getting the white bump in teh middle and itching but like you it happens in cold water and hot. We have a water softner which filters the chlorine so dont think that can be the problem. His GP said to ignore it and in time it may just settle but I'm not convinced. Will be taking him back if it continues to get worse

I used to get red itchy rashes after showering... I used to use dove soap so i changed to one of their shower gels and was fine for a little while and then i started to get them again especially on my arms & neck area. I now use simple shower gel and have been fine for the last 3 years although i never use it on my arms, i do allow it to run down them when im in the shower & i fully immerse myself under the water whilst in the bath. For me i know my arms are sensitive so i avoid rubbing soaps etc into them. Aqueous cream may also help any sensitive areas during bathing and after. Hope this helps.